Second Round WR - It’s Time

badgers0821

24 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

I'm sure Rodgers talent level was a real comfort to MVS every time Rodgers threw a ball four steps past him while open on his deep routes or too far out of bounds on his out routes?

For all the shots at Cam Newton, he was 9th in completion percentage this year. Rodgers was a genuinely pathetic 26th. 

Cam threw 1 fewer TDs in 2 fewer games and 128 fewer attempts, and was actually responsible for more overall when you include his rushing.

The Panthers offense was 11th in points per drive with 2 games started with a backup QB. The Packers was 15th.

Get that weak **** out of here about MVS stats being inflated because of his QB.

Cam Newton was a better QB than Aaron Rodgers was this year, busted shoulder and all. 

Who's taking shots at Cam Newton?  I simply stated he was playing with one shoulder and it likely to miss all of next year because of the shoulder.  No where did I slight him.  

Of course Newton had a better completion percentage this year.  When you've got an elite receiving back who you can target over 125 times with over an 85% success rate, your completion percentage is going to be high.  They were a dink and dunk offense that had their RBs, WRs and TEs doing damage with YAC.  It's not like he was throwing bombs down the field because your rookie WR can't do anything but run fast in straight line.  Not like he was forced to turn a 5th or 6th round rookie into a starting NFL WR 4 weeks into the season.  

27 minutes ago, SSG said:

Who's taking shots at Cam Newton?

I AM!

Cam Newton is an extremely sensitive *****! He's the only person I know has snatched multiple items (flags, banners, signs, etc) from opposing fans who paid their good hard money to be a part of the atmosphere and have their items with them... he's the only person I know that couldn't handle a press conference when his ***** *** refused to take one for the team and dive on top of a fumbled ball, and his ***** *** thinks it's funny when women talk football, because he's not used to women knowing anything about football, and laughed at the female reporter who asked a good football questions. Also I've heard that Cam Newton is the type of guy, that will be first to start **** when he has the upper hand, but he can't handle it when someone else does the same exact thing to him... as the saying goes, he can dish it out but can't take it! Newton is a great spoiled football man-child.

Though on a side note, it's nice he gives the Touchdown Balls to little kids.

14 minutes ago, SSG said:

Who's taking shots at Cam Newton?  I simply stated he was playing with one shoulder and it likely to miss all of next year because of the shoulder.  No where did I slight him.  

Of course Newton had a better completion percentage this year.  When you've got an elite receiving back who you can target over 125 times with over an 85% success rate, your completion percentage is going to be high.  They were a dink and dunk offense that had their RBs, WRs and TEs doing damage with YAC.  It's not like he was throwing bombs down the field because your rookie WR can't do anything but run fast in straight line.  Not like he was forced to turn a 5th or 6th round rookie into a starting NFL WR 4 weeks into the season.  

Or Rodgers could just throw to his RBs and hot reads when under pressure rather than throwing it away or taking the sack while he waits for Davante Adams to get open.

Another fun fact, did you know only 7 WRs in the NFL drew more PI penalties than Scantling?

11 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Another fun fact, did you know only 7 WRs in the NFL drew more PI penalties than Scantling?

Nope, but I remember thinking if the Packers taught these WRs to jump back for the ball, the DB would run them over getting the PI and yards instead of letting the DB catch up as they're slightly waiting for the ball, and the DB got lucky that they got there at the right time to break it up even though they didn't know for sure where the ball was, just that the Packers WR was putting out their hands for it... 

So MVS probably left some PI on the field and didn't get them too.

12 hours ago, SSG said:

You mean Jmon Moore, not DJ Moore who looked like a bonafide star at times last year for Carolina.  Moore wasn't mentioned much in the thread because he didn't have a regular season snap all year where he looked like he belonged on a NFL field.  He looked more like a guy who should have been on the practice squad instead of the active roster.  

Got my Moore's mixed up.  My woman was getting aggravated so I had to rush it.  Yes that is true.  He was rather forgettable last season.  Draft and develop.  He'll have to earn a roster spot this year.  They carried him rather than trying to stash on PS because he would have been poached.  Adams didn't break out until year 3.  Sometimes it takes these guys a bit to catch on.  Hopefully he will.  If we are going to get a skill player would much rather have a pass catching RB or TE.  We have enough receivers.  MVS and ESB will both improve in year 2.  I'd really like a pass catching TE that can block in that spot.

On 1/30/2019 at 1:18 PM, JBURGE said:

As it stands today, I would guess that the order right now for WRs is DK Metcalf, Marquise Brown who both go top 15, Parris Campbell and Kelvin Harmon who both go in the 20s, and then a group of Samuel, Ridley, AJ Brown, and N'Keal Harry who go in that late 25-64 range

I feel like if those WR's go that high, it pushes some great defensive talent down.

I feel like our second round pick could net one of those top guys.  Will be interesting to see the group of players there at our second pick.  Very interesting!

4 minutes ago, vegas492 said:
On 1/30/2019 at 2:18 PM, JBURGE said:

As it stands today, I would guess that the order right now for WRs is DK Metcalf, Marquise Brown who both go top 15, Parris Campbell and Kelvin Harmon who both go in the 20s, and then a group of Samuel, Ridley, AJ Brown, and N'Keal Harry who go in that late 25-64 range

I feel like if those WR's go that high, it pushes some great defensive talent down.

I feel like our second round pick could net one of those top guys.  Will be interesting to see the group of players there at our second pick.  Very interesting!

Seems to happen every year with the WRs. A couple always go. Metcalf is a big wildcard because of the limited tape, but I think most agree he has the highest ceiling. As of today I would be surprised if he doesn't go top 10. Marquise Brown is just so electric I think someone falls in love with him too

I have a feeling Metcalf drops to the end of the first to mid second. I personally think he has the talent to be a legit top 5 WR in the league one day, but a neck injury is scary. Theres a degree of risk management with draft picks. The extra 10-20% chance he is a damaged goods bust is a big deal. I'd be okay with him at he second first

I'm with people on Brown. If he runs a 4.3, I could see him being the small speed darling of the draft that goes 15 spots ahead of where he should. If we got him with the second one I'd be cool with it.

I get kind of the Robert Woods vibe the more I watch AJ Brown. Solid at a lot, not the most dynamic. I'd be fine with him with the second one, I'd love him with the second round pick..

Harmon/Campbell are wild cards. I wouldn't touch Campbell until the late second (no route running ability, just speed... I get a Tedd Ginn vibe with him. Just not a good enough WR, but will make some pure speed plays and be a nice KR). Harmon I like but not really for us (more of a pure outside guy).

29 minutes ago, JBURGE said:

Seems to happen every year with the WRs. A couple always go. Metcalf is a big wildcard because of the limited tape, but I think most agree he has the highest ceiling. As of today I would be surprised if he doesn't go top 10. Marquise Brown is just so electric I think someone falls in love with him too

Think you are right.  Brown is going to run really, really fast I think.  He's probably not as fast as Ross but he's got similar size and more talent when it comes to playing WR.  Wouldn't be surprised to see him got in the top 10 or 15 in a year where there is no consensus #1 WR.

Metcalf is definitely a wild card.  He could very well grade out to be the most athletic WR to come into the league since Julio Jones when you take into account his height, size, length, strength, speed and explosion.  His dad had him benching 100 lbs before he was in 1st grade which is absolutely insane.  He power cleans as much as some of this draft's top tier defensive lineman.  There are certainly concerns though.  His production doesn't match his athleticism.  Whether it was the player's limitations or his usage at OL Miss (he's a very good route runner that ran a very limited route tree).

16 minutes ago, Fl0nkerton said:
20 minutes ago, JBURGE said:

Won't be there 

Where do you see him going?

I think someone will really like him and take him as high as the 3rd.  I think he has a solid chance to be a day 2 pick. I think his stock will rise as we go

On 1/30/2019 at 12:01 PM, pacman5252 said:

There's a thread about this a few pages back that has like 550 replies. It turned into a lot of flailing abut;

1. Some people don't think WRs are "worth" a first 2 round pick based on draft value

2.  Some people are higher on ESB and MVS than others and think they have high end upside, some don't.

I'm personally with you. We either need to bring in a FA that can play or another playmaker in the top 2 rounds. I'd love a Deebo, AJ Brown, Campbell, Brown

I think the younger guys played well. Better question is why don’t you like them and what did you see with them that gave you pause outside of the early drops by Moore?

2 hours ago, MantyWrestler said:

I think the younger guys played well. Better question is why don’t you like them and what did you see with them that gave you pause outside of the early drops by Moore?

There were plenty of bad routes, drops (which was a knock on both coming out... and routes isn’t something players magically get better at) .EQ in particular isn’t really a twitchy athlete. MVS struggled when contested. AR’s passer rating dropped 30 points when targeting these guys and led the league in throw always for a reason. 

They have nice computer numbers but I think we’d be doing a disservice to assume a massive leap into top 45 wr territory for either of them. 

What did they do to make you confident they are ready to be more relied upon? 900 yards and 60 catches combined from 2/3 wrs in an AR offense? They had nice numbers for guys taken 180+?

Archived