TAET: This Ain't Eagles Talk | RIP Jlash

Phire

14 hours ago, Jlash said:

Shocked Floyd was ok with that, since he's so weird about the gloves he and his opponent use. Don't think it matters either way though. Conor isn't going to land on Mayweather.

Everyone is saying that but he almost always uses 8oz gloves, I really don't think its that big of a deal but the hype train on this thing is nuts.

9 hours ago, Bednarik60 said:

"Conor has never boxed in his life before".... LOL den wut da fooook is dissure as hell isn't Karate or Jiu-Jitsu. 

Thats whats called a zero defense game. He'll get a few shots  in on Mayweather and he better make the most of those shots.

I will say that the reach of McGregor is probably one of the longest he's had to deal with since probably De La Hoya but he was at the end of his career when he faced Mayweather.

10 minutes ago, Hockey5djh said:

Everyone is saying that but he almost always uses 8oz gloves, I really don't think its that big of a deal but the hype train on this thing is nuts.

Yea I always assumed he wore 10 oz gloves and more for the most part. Guess not.

edit: Against De La Hoya, Cotto and Alvarez he wore 10 oz gloves. So it was just his 154 lb fights I guess?

Edited by Jlash

14 minutes ago, Phire said:

I know, but I'm hoping Conor comes out with MMA mentality even if it burns him out.

It's his only shot. Fight himself inside and swing wild and pray to god something hits. Otherwise, Floyd dodges everything and picks him apart. 

Either way, he's a genius for getting this fight off the ground. He's making more money off this fight than he'd probably make in a lifetime of MMA. 

5 minutes ago, Jroc04 said:

It's his only shot. Fight himself inside and swing wild and pray to god something hits. Otherwise, Floyd dodges everything and picks him apart. 

Either way, he's a genius for getting this fight off the ground. He's making more money off this fight than he'd probably make in a lifetime of MMA

Damn right. Makes you wonder where his motivation will come from to get back into MMA when he'll be making far less after the 26th.

53 minutes ago, Jlash said:

edit: Against De La Hoya, Cotto and Alvarez he wore 10 oz gloves. So it was just his 154 lb fights I guess?

The glove weights are generally determined by the weight class. I'm not sure if there was an exception made here or not to be honest.

10 minutes ago, Hockey5djh said:

The glove weights are generally determined by the weight class. I'm not sure if there was an exception made here or not to be honest.

Reading up on it, fighters above 147 lbs are required to wear 10 oz gloves, unless both fighters mutually agree upon smaller gloves. I think 154 lbs is the max weight for 8 oz gloves.

22 minutes ago, Jlash said:

Damn right. Makes you wonder where his motivation will come from to get back into MMA when he'll be making far less after the 26th.

15 minutes ago, Phire said:

Oh yeah Conor wins no matter what happens with the fight. He'll be insannnneee rich. I wonder if he even continues fighting, didn't he "retire" once before?

Apparently, he's set to defend his UFC title later  this year. I don't know how much $100 million changes a guy but I'd imagine he'd have to consider it. But he is still scheduled to fight this year, according to Dana White. 

The dude has a mouth. It might be more impressive than his fighting skills. And he's a hot name. I mean, he could be a UFC commentator, be on ESPN, hell the WWE would be doing cartwheels do sign him. But alas, 100M is a nice deterrent from working ever again. He'll have plenty of options. 

Just now, Jroc04 said:

Apparently, he's set to defend his UFC title later  this year. I don't know how much $100 million changes a guy but I'd imagine he'd have to consider it. But he is still scheduled to fight this year, according to Dana White. 

The dude has a mouth. It might be more impressive than his fighting skills. And he's a hot name. I mean, he could be a UFC commentator, be on ESPN, hell the WWE would be doing cartwheels do sign him. But alas, 100M is a nice deterrent from working ever again. He'll have plenty of options. 

I'm going to guess that when the UFC signed off on this fight, they had to have Conor's guarantee he wasn't going to take this boxing money and run. 

He'll have more money than he ever needs, has a young child to raise, and he could preserve his health. Fighting Mayweather came out of nowhere this might just be his retirement package lol. Maybe he keeps fighting though, that's his thing.

5 minutes ago, Jlash said:

I'm going to guess that when the UFC signed off on this fight, they had to have Conor's guarantee he wasn't going to take this boxing money and run. 

I'm not exactly sure if there's any kind of "contract" in place for the fight yet. But either way, you can't stop a guy from retiring, agreement or not. 

10 minutes ago, Jroc04 said:

I'm not exactly sure if there's any kind of "contract" in place for the fight yet. But either way, you can't stop a guy from retiring, agreement or not. 

You know how if Branden Albert had retired recently he would've been obligated to give back his signing bonus? I'd bet there's something like that in the agreement he has with the UFC to do this. You can't stop him from retiring, but you can penalize him for not fulfilling his end of whatever agreement they've reached. They're too petty of an organization to let him go fight a boxing match and then not capitalize on having a mega fight set up for when he comes back.