TAET: This Ain't Eagles Talk | RIP Jlash

Phire

3 minutes ago, Jlash said:

You know how if Branden Albert had retired recently he would've been obligated to give back his signing bonus? I'd bet there's something like that in the agreement he has with the UFC to do this. You can't stop him from retiring, but you can penalize him for not fulfilling his end of whatever agreement they've reached. They're too petty of an organization to let him go fight a boxing match and then not capitalize on having a mega fight set up for when he comes back.

Agreed for sure. Just don't know the verbiage in his contract. I'm not sure if there's money obligation but just fight obligation. Like, his contract is just for fights. Basically just a non-compete contract so he doesn't fight for another MMA association. Or maybe not. Maybe it's just, you promise to fight 5 fights. And is paid on a per fight basis. I dunno. I would think he's just in a contract to fight whatever fights the UFC comes up with, for a agreed upon number of fights. And the purse is contingent on championship level or PPV share. I don't think they have a 5 fight, 75 million dollar agreement. I don't think it's that cut and dry. 

He was set for life before this fight.  I doubt he retires, he only "retired" before to punk Dana White.  He's charismatic and could do a lot of other lines of work, sure, but I think he's a fighter at heart and he still has a lot he can do to distinguish himself in the UFC.

12 minutes ago, BLick12 said:

He was set for life before this fight.  I doubt he retires, he only "retired" before to punk Dana White.  He's charismatic and could do a lot of other lines of work, sure, but I think he's a fighter at heart and he still has a lot he can do to distinguish himself in the UFC.

Sure, but he's also openly admitted he spends an absurd amount of money on things he doesn't need. This payday is probably bigger than all his UFC fights combined. There's an argument for both sides I guess. Reasons to keep fighting and reasons to take that cash and live however you want.

Conor:

orapR.gif

Edited by Jlash
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, BLick12 said:

Depends on what "life" he wants. He was "set for life" after his first few million. Of course he's a fighter at heart, that's why he does it. He also happens to be very good at it but his fighting opens up many different avenues of income. After awhile you have to weigh out what's best for you. Like, why doesn't John Gruden coach? 

15 minutes ago, Phire said:

It is impressive how much money a boxing fight can get with the right fighters.

I wonder what the viewership is going to be for this. I think Mayweather/Pacquiao had like 4 million. 

5 million PPVs at $100 per = ?

2 hours ago, Jlash said:

Sure, but he's also openly admitted he spends an absurd amount of money on things he doesn't need. This payday is probably bigger than all his UFC fights combined. There's an argument for both sides I guess. Reasons to keep fighting and reasons to take that cash and live however you want.

Conor:

orapR.gif

Those F U suits don't pay for themselves. 

1 hour ago, Jroc04 said:

Depends on what "life" he wants. He was "set for life" after his first few million. Of course he's a fighter at heart, that's why he does it. He also happens to be very good at it but his fighting opens up many different avenues of income. After awhile you have to weigh out what's best for you. Like, why doesn't John Gruden coach? 

He should just train future fighters in the art of ish talking.  I don't know if it's the Irish accent or what, but he's the master.

Conor almost is always rocking press cars,  press suits, press jewelry . 

Companies lend him stuff to use/wear knowing he will have insane amount of attention on him 24/7. 

He actually has gotten a bad name in the car and fashion world by acting like those things were his when the people inside those worlds knew it was press stuff. 

19 hours ago, EaglesPeteC said:

So I moved to NC from Jersey about 10 years ago and the weirdest thing to me is that there are churches everywhere and then other churches rent out high school auditoriums to have church on Sunday. I just find that really bizarre. It's also really annoying as a high school drama teacher.....

there are so. many. churches. I went to my school in Elon today for the first time. 9000 population. Must have been about 400 churches. 

4 minutes ago, ianlewis16 said:

there are so. many. churches. I went to my school in Elon today for the first time. 9000 population. Must have been about 400 churches. 

My sister lived in NC forever in a bunch of small towns around Raleigh and yeah little towns, so many churches, more churches then anything else. I remember being like 12-13 years old and being a dumb a$$z right lol but still being smart enough to be like "Economically this doesn't make any sense!!? Where does every one work, shop, eat, do stuff?"