Broncos trade for Joe Flacco

champ11

It's a bandaid for sure but Keenum was the alternative which is comparable to tanking. 

The organization was clearly not doing that for better or worse. I didn't view this as an option bc I didn't realize Joe had no dead money left on his deal. 

We still got to get young at the position whether it be Lock, Stidham, Thorson, Rypien. Especially because we're on the hook for a lot of money towards the qb. It's a direction at least.

17 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

You got Flacco as a short term fix to get you through 2019 with a chance to win some games and get some slight improvement at QB position.

How again is that not a band aid?  I'm confused. 

Uh, it gets us through 2021 with an average salary of $21m. So a 3 year band aid with a proven NFL starter at QB. Probably a very motivated starter at that as @thebestever6 pointed out. 

Not really a bandaid, more like stitches. It buys us another 3 years minimum to draft and develop a QB if thats the direction we want to go.

23 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

Uh, it gets us through 2021 with an average salary of $21m. So a 3 year band aid with a proven NFL starter at QB. Probably a very motivated starter at that as @thebestever6 pointed out. 

Not really a bandaid, more like stitches. It buys us another 3 years minimum to draft and develop a QB if thats the direction we want to go.

Agree and it doesn't rule out a qb this year. All it allows the broncos to do is to be a more patient aggressive.  Yea you keep looking for the guy but you won't have to trade up out of desperation and sell the farm.

Honestly,  lets say we would of stayed the course with Keenum as the stopgap and traded up for a qb like Lock. Lock would be forced into the fire due to Keenums limitations and poor play. We don't want a rookie qb coming in with that deck stacked against him.

I really think this is a case of us overvaluing a 4th round pick, and somehow propping up Keenum into more than what he actually is. 

Our 4th round picks going back to 08

Jack Williams

Kory Lichtensteiger

Seth Olsen

David Bruton

Quinton Carter

Julius Thomas

Philip Blake

Omar Bolden

Max Garcia

Devontae Booker

DaeSean Hamilton

Josey Jewell

The jury is out on the two last year but out of the rest of the list only Orange Julius has even close of an impact in his time here than Flacco will have however long his tenure as the starter here is.

Last time we hit homeruns in the 4th round was 06 with Brandon Marshall and Elvis Dumervil.  That's literally been how long it's been.

I think JT was more of a product of Peyton Manning. Hence why we were unwilling to pay 10 mill a year annually and let him walk once his rookie deal was up. But value wise he was a very good 4th rounder due to production. 

Browns traded a top 3rd rounder in the draft for Tyrod Taylor who doesn't have close to the resume flacco had. 

And yet no one bats an eye or trashes that trade. Why ?because they still went out and drafted Mayfield. 

Point is this trade cant be taken into context yet until we see the full offseason and ramifications from it.

I'm not saying it's an amazing trade I'm just keeping an open mind right now. Because, I like everyone else hated Keenums limitations. 

I actually brought up the possibility of us trading for Flacco last night as my son and I were watching the sixer game.  My son thought I was crazy - that it would never happen.  He's not a Flacco fan.    That doesn't mean I love the deal though but I knew John was desperate.  Honestly I thought he was going to trade up into the top 3 and grab a qb.  I don't think that's happening now.  Man I'm hoping this works out.  I was actually happy when we signed Keenum last year but my feelings quickly changed.  I'm getting tired of this but you know what there are only a handful of elite qb's in the league so it might very well take some time to fix this qb issue.   Here's hoping......... 

6 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

We've had lots of interesting discussions on this forum but I never ever would have thought we'd have a serious discussion about whether Joe Flacco is an upgrade over Case Keenum.

Shows what I know.O.o

I mean we can say he does certain things better but his stats are really no better than Keenum over the past 3 seasons. An upgrade in talent does not equate in a much better team, at the end of the day it is still a short term solution with an average QB which was the same exact situation we we're already in.

10 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

We've had lots of interesting discussions on this forum but I never ever would have thought we'd have a serious discussion about whether Joe Flacco is an upgrade over Case Keenum.

Shows what I know.O.o

Deep down people know he's an upgrade over Keenum they're just worried that he's considered the guy right now.

This trade will work if we're still planning on getting a qbotf in the near future next few years. ( 2 years preferably. )

Fitting Keenum into this offense literally is a square peg into a round hole. With him behind center the growth of young guys I believe would of been stunted lindsay, sutton, Hamilton, Troy fungamali, royce freeman, and whoever we add this draft and free agency.  

If Flacco helps get these guys developed and up to speed for the next year or two. It literally is a success because it gives whatever qb we develop behind him an easier transition having seasoned players rather than stunted growth players.

1 hour ago, AKRNA said:

I think this is possible, but a pretty optimistic outlook.  Flacco did lose his job to Lamar Jackson who is far FAR from a threat as a passer.

I also don’t know that the Broncos offense provides more pass protection or weapons than the Ravens offense at this point.  We still have FA and the draft to solve some of that, however.

Flacco is a better option than Keenum, but I could also see him laying an egg and being out this time next year.  Which really makes the move low risk/high reward as Denver has no dead money involved if he sucks.

It’s what makes this trade difficult for me to evaluate.  On one hand adding a SB winner and, IMO, undervalued QB seems like more of a 2 to 3 year move where you use a 2nd/3rd/4th round pick to develop behind him at QB. On the flip side I also don’t think it eliminates Denver from taking a QB as high as #10.

If Denver wouldn’t have signed Keenum this would be a hell of a signing, but when you factor in either paying 2 QBs starters money making the QB position $30+M a year or cutting Keenum (which seems more likely) and taking on $10M in dead cap, while still needing to draft a QB of the future, that’s a hell of a mess up by Elway.  This is why I was happy to see Kubiak go, Keenum was a Kubiak guy all the way whom Kubiak was pounding the table for.

Archived