Around the league v.1.0

RaidersAreOne

52 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Seriously? Guy hasn't played any meaningful snaps and he's better than Phillip Rivers? He's better than Alex Smith? 

Mahomes has to prove he can play with in the game. Make smart decisions, etc. Just because he has the physical tools, doesn't mean he has the mental ones.

Alex was a savvy, smart leader who didn't turn the ball over. The Raiders were 2-8 against him. To say that KC got better today is stretch. Mahomes has to actually prove he can be a consistent QB. You're overvaluing the physical tools. My guess, it's a hot start for him making plays off the cuff, DCs start to figure him out and he has to learn to play from the pocket. Andy Reid coaching him however is helpful

This is the crux of my belief and I trust Andy Reid. The dude made mike Vick look like a top player in the nfl. The same could be said about foles. And with the West, Rivers is a year older, Carr’s in some sort of QB limbo and Denver is going to screw up their QB situation. Understand I’m not crowning Mahomes, but with his talent and Reid coaching him I think it’s more likely that he’s towards the top of the AFC West than the bottom. 

4 hours ago, Chali21 said:

I don't think Andy Reid trades Smith away unless he believes that Mahomes is ready. Unlike other QBs that have been taken in the  first round these last few years, Mahomes got to sit the entire season. A coached up Mahomes is way more terrifying than Alex Smith and it could give the Chiefs the best QB in the AFC West. Also with them getting Fuller to partner up with Peters, and Berry coming back...man that defense will be great. Like it or not the Chiefs got better today.

Yeah, Andy can think that Mahomes is ready but he isn't battle tested yet. He is definitely not more terrifying than Alex Smith because Smith is proven. Yeah he could be the best QB in the history of the league OR he could be terrible. That was my point. Smith is a proven commodity.

Fuller had a good year last year. We'll see if he can repeat it. And Berry is great til he isn't on the field again...

Careful Chali, you're starting to sound like a KC fan. We all know they have been good enough to beat us and win the division recently but they are headed into a period of the unknown and my point was that I hope it doesn't work out for them.

Really interested to see Andy work with Mahomes. Last rookie QB he worked with was McNabb. By time he left, Vick was making his comeback.  Throw in vet Jeff Garcia for a short time. Then moved on to Alex Smith. 

So other than McNabb, he's had vet QBs to work with. Just something to keep an eye on.

56 minutes ago, raidr4life said:

Cowherd just reported that Kirk Cousins and Broncos are close to a deal.

No other outlets corroborating the story. Regardless, if they want to throw 80 mil guaranteed at Kirk cousins and sacrifice the rest of their team, more power to them 

5 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

No other outlets corroborating the story. Regardless, if they want to throw 80 mil guaranteed at Kirk cousins and sacrifice the rest of their team, more power to them 

If they dump Talib and Watson they have 44 mil in cap space this year with it getting better as the years go on with other guys fall off. I think it's worth it to move on a Franchise type QB.

Of course, I hope the deal falls thru if there is one. Rather them have to draft another QB than get a proven baller.

3 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Really interested to see Andy work with Mahomes. Last rookie QB he worked with was McNabb. By time he left, Vick was making his comeback.  Throw in vet Jeff Garcia for a short time. Then moved on to Alex Smith. 

So other than McNabb, he's had vet QBs to work with. Just something to keep an eye on.

The same can be said about Gruden as far as working with mostly vet QBs for the majority of his coaching career.

Will be interesting to see which coach between Reid and Gruden has their young QB better prepared.

3 hours ago, NightTrainLane said:

If they dump Talib and Watson they have 44 mil in cap space this year with it getting better as the years go on with other guys fall off. I think it's worth it to move on a Franchise type QB.

Of course, I hope the deal falls thru if there is one. Rather them have to draft another QB than get a proven baller.

Everything I've seen is the Jets will make a run at Cousins and the Broncos really like Mayfield. Rumor mill is churning and we still have a Superbowl to play.

19 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Everything I've seen is the Jets will make a run at Cousins and the Broncos really like Mayfield. Rumor mill is churning and we still have a Superbowl to play.

I was commenting on the financial aspect of Den going after Cousins, not the current news.

Anything can happen. No one had Smith going to the Redskins til it was a done deal basically.

Archived