Around the league v.1.0

RaidersAreOne

7 hours ago, NightTrainLane said:

Jack went 22 picks later...please join reality and leave the hindsight in the past.

Some would have rather had Jack at that spot.  I was on the Joseph bandwagon thru out the entire off-season but wanted him in the second round.  If a team snagged him before our second pick, with a trade up or without, I was okay with that.  I did not think Jack would last to our first pick and was willing to take him in the first even with the injury concerns.  We ended up drafting a player with injury concerns in the first anyways.

3 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

Some would have rather had Jack at that spot.  I was on the Joseph bandwagon thru out the entire off-season but wanted him in the second round.  If a team snagged him before our second pick, with a trade up or without, I was okay with that.  I did not think Jack would last to our first pick and was willing to take him in the first even with the injury concerns.  We ended up drafting a player with injury concerns in the first anyways.

That may have been your thinking but I think the general feeling was Jack was gonna be available way later.

13 hours ago, OakRaiders3828 said:

When did the Raiders have the chance to grab Jack? Or do you mean in the first? 

They could have made a move at any point while he was sliding honestly. Need position, top 5 talent slid to the 2nd round. I understand not picking him at 14 (even though they took a player with a knee injury anyway) but many thought they should make a trade to grab him as he continued to fall. 

46 minutes ago, NightTrainLane said:

That may have been your thinking but I think the general feeling was Jack was gonna be available way later.

I don't remember it that way. I think most were surprised he fell outside the top 10 picks and was available at 14 to consider. 

4 hours ago, big_palooka said:

I don't remember it that way. I think most were surprised he fell outside the top 10 picks and was available at 14 to consider. 

What I'm saying is that was early in the process but on draft night he was not considered a top 10 pick at all. I remember that clearly. His knee was getting too much buzz. But many wanted him for us at 14. Him or Tunsil after the video started to drop him.

4 minutes ago, NightTrainLane said:

What I'm saying is that was early in the process but on draft night he was not considered a top 10 pick at all. I remember that clearly. His knee was getting too much buzz. But many wanted him for us at 14. Him or Tunsil after the video started to drop him.

That's what I remember too. I don't think there was much question about his ability, or even his availability for the first few years. It was all about his long term availability. There is a fear that the cartilage will separate from the bone over the years, and it might cut his career short. So it will be something to keep an eye on. He will have access to top surgeons and medical advancements - so it could work out for him. Regardless, very good player, but one could see why teams were a bit gun shy for drafting him.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000656081/article/myles-jack-vulnerable-to-draft-slide-due-to-concerns-about-knee

16 hours ago, OakRaiders3828 said:

Weren’t there questions regarding how long he’d be able to play because of injury issues? 

True but that didn't stop Reggie before, Joseph had an injury when drafted, DJ Hayden is another example. Jack and Foster were top five talents at arguably our biggest position of need. Anyway I was just pointing out that the previous poster meant we should have taken Jack in the first. 

2 hours ago, NightTrainLane said:

He was considered a top 5 talent with an injury concern, he was mocked to Jaxsonville in the 1st until the injury news, they had huge hole at LB, he fell to the 2nd so they pulled the trigger.

Archived