Washington Free Agency 2019

lavar703

Just now, turtle28 said:

I’d rather pay $14 m for Landon Collins than $18 m for Zach Brown, Mason Foster & Stacy McGee next year.

False equivalency. No one was trying to pay for them next year. The Redskins are looking to get rid of them.

The decision wasn't

• Sign Collins at $14m/year (actually $7.5/year in guaranteed money) or you can't get rid of those 3 players

You know, you can still get rid of those players without paying what we did for Collins. They are not mutually exclusive

4 minutes ago, Woz said:

Is his upgrade of talent above Swearinger worth the downgrade at multiple other positions that are going to require cuts to afford this debacle?

What are the downgrades at other positions?

Are we really considering losing Zach Brown, Mason Foster and Stacy McGee downgrades at their positions?

I think each of those players can be upgraded easily and I’d make the argument that their replacements are already on the roster and are better than them. And if not, we can find an upgrade in the draft over what we had in them.

4 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

False equivalency. No one was trying to pay for them next year. The Redskins are looking to get rid of them.

The decision wasn't

• Sign Collins at $14m/year (actually $7.5/year in guaranteed money) or you can't get rid of those 3 players

You know, you can still get rid of those players without paying what we did for Collins. They are not mutually exclusive

Sure, but the cap space is still the cap space...

1 minute ago, turtle28 said:

Sure, but the cap space is still the cap space...

You're making ZERO sense, man. One does not mean we HAVE to do the other.

Yes, the cap space is what it is. But we were getting rid of those guys anyway. We didn't have to run out and burn it all up on one player.  A player, who if the Jints fans are right about, who can't play FS and is in an in the box safety.

What are the downgrades at other positions?

Are we really considering losing Zach Brown, Mason Foster and Stacy McGee downgrades at their positions?

I think each of those players can be upgraded easily and I’d make the argument that their replacements are already on the roster and are better than them. And if not, we can find an upgrade in the draft over what we had in them.

Leave McGee out of this. I told you he was worthless when he signed. That's a canard that you're hiding behind.

Brown and Foster's replacements will likely have to be on the roster right now, because they cannot afford to replace them with anyone. Whether they are better than them is an open question (and one I think you are looking at through burgundy & gold lenses). Also, if you need to draft an ILB, you've possibly put yourself back into a position where you have to reach for talent because the ILB draft class looks to be thin.

Waste cap space on a lower value position forcing you to cut veterans to make cap space in order to reach on draft picks ... BRILLIANT strategy, that.

6 minutes ago, Woz said:

He's a safety who cannot cover deep. He was cut by the Giants because they were switching to the 3-4 and he didn't fit that. Why is he going to improve the team?

That’s not why he was not re-signed by the Giants. The Giants wanted to see what his market was, and Gettleman is known as a cheap GM.

Wow, I can’t believe you’d even type that. 

You know how he's going to improve the team.

1. Better coverage in short to medium w/ TEs & others in short zones. 

2. Better run defense and tackling from the S position 

3. Great Leadership for a young secondary.

Just now, Woz said:

Leave McGee out of this. I told you he was worthless when he signed. That's a canard that you're hiding behind.

Brown and Foster's replacements will likely have to be on the roster right now, because they cannot afford to replace them with anyone. Whether they are better than them is an open question (and one I think you are looking at through burgundy & gold lenses). Also, if you need to draft an ILB, you've possibly put yourself back into a position where you have to reach for talent because the ILB draft class looks to be thin.

Waste cap space on a lower value position forcing you to cut veterans to make cap space in order to reach on draft picks ... BRILLIANT strategy, that.

I wont leave McPhee out of it, bc if they cut him its still cap space.

I guess we'll find out if the rest is true. I disagree with everything you've written. There's plenty of talent at ILB in the draft w/o reaching, the Redskins have good young ILBs on their roster right know and they got an All-Pro talent at a position of need! 

As Thai said and one said, they were cutting those vets anyways. So I don't see what the big fuss is over, but I guess you gotta cry about something.

That’s not why he was not re-signed by the Giants. The Giants wanted to see what his market was, and Gettleman is known as a cheap GM.

Wow, I can’t believe you’d even type that. 

You know how he's going to improve the team.

1. Better coverage in short to medium w/ TEs & others in short zones. 

2. Better run defense and tackling from the S position 

3. Great Leadership for a young secondary.

UnlinedBowedJackal-size_restricted.gif

Just now, bigdog44 said:

Nfl network saying Jamison Crowder about to sign with the Jets, no terms as of yet. 

If you can’t find a QB why bother paying receivers, lol. 

Hopefully he signs a $90m contract and erases this one for us in the comp pick lottery.

Daddy needs some 2020 comp picks

Just now, turtle28 said:

I wont leave McPhee out of it, bc if they cut him its still cap space.

He already is a free agent (was a one year contract). He's taking zero cap space in 2019 already.

As Thai said and one said, they were cutting those vets anyways. So I don't see what the big fuss is over, but I guess you gotta cry about something.

You're missing the entire point, as usual. 

We're getting rid of them. Which means we need to ensure that we replace them with someone via FA or the draft.

Signing Collins now at that contract means that we are most likely done in the ILB FA sweepstakes. So as @Woz correctly pointed out, the players must already be on the roster.

And yes, the ILB market in the draft is thin at the top. Unless we invest a 1 or a 2 in the position, we're getting depth.

OR... we may just have to keep Brown and/or Foster. Which means that signing Collins is counterproductive to the cap space we need.

Archived