Free Agency

TedLavie

Here is another of the Wire's UDFA highlights. IMO Mark Fields has starting CB potential. He came up big in the National Championship game against Alabama, SO Why he went undrafted is a mystery. I figured someone would throw a late pick at him in spite of the limited playing time.
https://chiefswire.usatoday.com/2019/05/30/kansas-city-chiefs-undrafted-free-agent-spotlight-clemson-cb-mark-fields/

He fits in well with the Chiefs annual cadre of elite ST talents. Fields is a prototypical gunner in punt and KO coverage. He also has the length and speed to play both inside and outside in coverage. IMO he makes the 53 as ST/CB. The question is how much time he gets in regular action.

J

I'm sorry to see Johnson go, but the team already has Do'D and Lee. If Hitchens is the base defense WLB Johnson has no position. 

Another story worth watching is Jack Fox. This is the first time I can remember that Colquitt will have to work for his job, assuming he keeps it. Fox will not be easy to beat.
https://chiefswire.usatoday.com/2019/06/12/kansas-city-chiefs-undrafted-free-agent-spotlight-rice-p-jack-fox/

J

Chiefs swapped a few players after minicamp:

out:

Senior, Justin (OT)
Williams, James (RB)
Johnson, Gary (LB)

in:

Beecham, Abdul (OG)
Caldwell, Josh (FB)
Hines, D'Juan (LB)

Positionwise it's a one-for-one swap. A guy I think is interesting is Caldwell. Listed as FB, but ran the ball a lot in college. And he claims to be good at catching. Too short as H-Back, but as a power back?

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, valkrei said:

Allen Baily still unsigned.  should we try and bring him back?

I think so. Good rotational guy who can line up in multiple spots depending on the situation.

We currently have 10 DL signed. I think he could beat out Walker, Ward, Speaks, and Hamilton for sure. Maybe Williams, Kpassagnon, and Ogbah as well. Although, the official roster still lists Speaks and Kpassagnon as LB.

16 minutes ago, kingseanjohn said:

I think so. Good rotational guy who can line up in multiple spots depending on the situation.

We currently have 10 DL signed. I think he could beat out Walker, Ward, Speaks, and Hamilton for sure. Maybe Williams, Kpassagnon, and Ogbah as well. Although, the official roster still lists Speaks and Kpassagnon as LB.

But where is Speaks gonna play if we load up the reserves on Interior DL?  Slightly joking 

Always a fan but of Bailey,  wouldn’t care but DL is one area I’m not concerned about at all.

Speaks and Kpassagnon are enigmas. TK seems to be considered a jack of all trades. Speaks is more a traditional rush DE. There are a lot of bodies to sort through but the DL rotation could be very good.

LB is a bigger question. Ragland seems to be the 1st down and short yardage guy. Hitchens is the Will and Wilson is the Sam at least from the start. Where do Lee and Do'D fit in? 

J

On ‎13‎.‎07‎.‎2019 at 7:36 AM, onejayhawk said:

Speaks and Kpassagnon are enigmas. TK seems to be considered a jack of all trades. Speaks is more a traditional rush DE. There are a lot of bodies to sort through but the DL rotation could be very good.

LB is a bigger question. Ragland seems to be the 1st down and short yardage guy. Hitchens is the Will and Wilson is the Sam at least from the start. Where do Lee and Do'D fit in? 

J

Subpackages. Wilson and Ragland out, Lee and/or DoD in, depending on Nickel or Dime.