Broncos to trade Case Keenum to Redskins

BroncoSojia

1 hour ago, tom cody said:

Keenum is a decent enough QB but yeah Washington has to draft their QB of the future as soon as this draft. 

Keenum allows Washington to let the draft come to them. If Drew Lock makes it to 15, then they most likely take him, but they are not under pressure to trade up (and it potentially lowers the radar for a team to trade up ahead of them, should Lock make it past Miami).

3 minutes ago, Woz said:

You do, if the plan is that you have a set amount you're willing to pay and you don't want to be forced to pay more than that. Acquiring Keenum gives Washington the realistic threat of walking away from a deal with Arizona. At the same time, the limited amount of investment in Keenum allows them to cut him if they do get Rosen and he looks ready to go.

You don't trade for Keenum and Rosen if you're hanging on to Colt McCoy, and you know Jay's holding on to his boy.  I'm afraid the Rosen ship has sailed.  

7 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

You don't trade for Keenum and Rosen if you're hanging on to Colt McCoy, and you know Jay's holding on to his boy.  I'm afraid the Rosen ship has sailed.  

While you're probably right, the idea would be if you trade for Rosen, Keenum and McCoy compete for the backup.

And they did eventually let Ryan Grant walk. Eventually.

15 minutes ago, Woz said:

Keenum allows Washington to let the draft come to them. If Drew Lock makes it to 15, then they most likely take him, but they are not under pressure to trade up (and it potentially lowers the radar for a team to trade up ahead of them, should Lock make it past Miami).

Unfortunately the recent trend for drafting quarterbacks dictates that the QB-drafting team trades up to secure their prospect. Over the past 3 years 10 of the 11 QBs selected in the first round were selected via a trade up. The only QB who wasn't was Baker Mayfield at 1. If Washington really does value Drew Lock as their franchise QB, chances are they will leap-frog a few teams - presumably Denver - to secure their man.

22 minutes ago, Woz said:

You do, if the plan is that you have a set amount you're willing to pay and you don't want to be forced to pay more than that. Acquiring Keenum gives Washington the realistic threat of walking away from a deal with Arizona. At the same time, the limited amount of investment in Keenum allows them to cut him if they do get Rosen and he looks ready to go.

The question is: is Brice that clever? For the record, that's not a bet I would want action on.

You don't to make a trade for Keenum to get leverage.  If ARI is trading Rosen in the first place everyone knows they are drafting a young QB at #1 and already lose their leverage by offering him up for trades.

Was should just run McCoy out there this year, trade away veterans for picks and rebuild in 2020 with a top 5 picks and a stacked QB class.  Why draft a project QB in mid round 1 when you can lock up an OL/pass rusher there and go for Tua or Herbert next year.

Just now, SmittyBacall said:

Unfortunately the recent trend for drafting quarterbacks dictates that the QB-drafting team trades up to secure their prospect. Over the past 3 years 10 of the 11 QBs selected in the first round were selected via a trade up. The only QB who wasn't was Baker Mayfield at 1. If Washington really does value Drew Lock as their franchise QB, chances are they will leap-frog a few teams - presumably Denver - to secure their man.

It's not so much as if they value Lock as their franchise QB, but more about are they willing to pay the premium to up and get him for the third guy in what is a weak QB class.

Keep in mind, there's still some scars from the RG3 trade.

15 hours ago, patman said:

I understood that keenum reworked his deal as part of the trade and the skins won't pay him what he was originally due besides the broncos chipping in.   But at least for the broncos they are only stuck with 7mill of dead cap.

Agreed.  With the reworked deal, Was is only paying $3.5M for Keenum this year. 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/washington-redskins/case-keenum-10079/

2 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

You don't to make a trade for Keenum to get leverage.  If ARI is trading Rosen in the first place everyone knows they are drafting a young QB at #1 and already lose their leverage by offering him up for trades.

Yes, but before the Keenum trade, Washington saying "well, we're perfectly fine rolling into the 2019 season with Colt McCoy as our starting QB" was a laughable joke. Now, they could still try to get Rosen say for the 96th overall and if Arizona balks, then the "we're out" threat is actually meaningful.

Granted, this scenario only works if Washington is nominally the top bidder but Arizona doesn't like the offer they originally got.

Just now, Woz said:

Yes, but before the Keenum trade, Washington saying "well, we're perfectly fine rolling into the 2019 season with Colt McCoy as our starting QB" was a laughable joke. Now, they could still try to get Rosen say for the 96th overall and if Arizona balks, then the "we're out" threat is actually meaningful.

Granted, this scenario only works if Washington is nominally the top bidder but Arizona doesn't like the offer they originally got.

Who cares if other teams think it's a joke.  What are you trying to accomplish?  Win 6 games, get to playoffs, rebuild from the bottom up?

You are not a playoff team so Keenum isn't leading you there.  You are a 6 win team with Keenum so why not just rebuild and if that means punting the season with guy like McCoy then do it.  Either go all in for the playoffs or punt the season, I would hate it watching my team just dip 1 toe in the puddle and hope for a .500 season with no real chance to win and miss on a franchise changing QB next year.

3 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

Was should just run McCoy out there this year, trade away veterans for picks and rebuild in 2020 with a top 5 picks and a stacked QB class.  Why draft a project QB in mid round 1 when you can lock up an OL/pass rusher there and go for Tua or Herbert next year.

Which is what I wanted to do. I was willing to accept a really bad year to build for (hopefully) a decade of competence.

However, you have to realize the business/ticket side of the house is in somewhat dire straits. Attendance has been dropping regularly, and season ticket sales are drying up. Even before the week 17 "road" game for Philadelphia, Washington fans have been in short supply at FedEx Field. So, it becomes an open question of whether the franchise could choose to tank a year.

The chance that Snyder could sell the franchise has ticked up. Granted that means going from 0% to 1% (and even that might be optimistic on my part), but large swaths of the fanbase are done with him.

Just now, Rockice_8 said:

Who cares if other teams think it's a joke.  What are you trying to accomplish?  Win 6 games, get to playoffs, rebuild from the bottom up?

For the GM: saving his job.
For the owner: hoping to change the sales numbers.
For the football side of the house: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Just now, Woz said:

Which is what I wanted to do. I was willing to accept a really bad year to build for (hopefully) a decade of competence.

However, you have to realize the business/ticket side of the house is in somewhat dire straits. Attendance has been dropping regularly, and season ticket sales are drying up. Even before the week 17 "road" game for Philadelphia, Washington fans have been in short supply at FedEx Field. So, it becomes an open question of whether the franchise could choose to tank a year.

The chance that Snyder could sell the franchise has ticked up. Granted that means going from 0% to 1% (and even that might be optimistic on my part), but large swaths of the fanbase are done with him.

Fair point on ticket sales.  Plus it's best for team morale if you at least pretend to want to win.

I just think it's time Was cleans house, goes young and looks for that next franchise QB in 2020.  Good luck to you guys.

Just now, Rockice_8 said:

Fair point on ticket sales.  Plus it's best for team morale if you at least pretend to want to win.

I just think it's time Was cleans house, goes young and looks for that next franchise QB in 2020.  Good luck to you guys.

And if I could wave a magic wand and make the bold happen, I would do it in a heartbeat.

Keenum is more a solution to a political/organizational/save-my-job problem than a football talent one.

Archived