Free Agency Thread

Billsfaninptown

50 minutes ago, BillsGuy82 said:

Looks like Cowboys are taking hard look at Robert Quinn. This make me wonder if they aren't gonna put DeMarcus Lawrence OTB ?

Trade route makes sense if it isn't our 1st round pick leaving

i think it is because outside of Lawrence they are super thin, not to mention the possibility of him sitting since he is pissed about being tagged for the 2nd year. Gregory is getting a suspension likely for a year and they are desperate. Not to mention the dolphins are desperate and said they are willing to eat some of his cap hit if they are able to find a trade partner. So for the right price Dallas may be willing to part ways with a pick for some pass rusher depth. I wouldnt be opposed to offering Shaq, 2nd rd pick and a future pick for Lawrence since it would be more then what they get next year if Lawrence walks (3rd rd pick).

48 minutes ago, Billsfaninptown said:

We do lack depth at LB, but I wouldn't be a huge fan of drafting White at #9. I like White as a player, but I think it's a luxury pick for us. If the top 3 techs or edge rushers get scooped up, which looks likely at this point then I wouldn't hate taking White. We played in the nickel about 65-75% of the time last season. That means there likely wouldn't be a lot of playing time to go around. I wouldn't mind taking a LB in the middle rounds, but #9 isn't worth it in my opinion.

if you can land a stud who can play right away at this point they should take it. if he is bpa they need to go with him, and not worry about set positions, which beane has said over and over again this off season. White may or may not be a luxury but a good team will find ways to use him long term and consistently. 

1 hour ago, soflbillsfan said:

if you can land a stud who can play right away at this point they should take it. if he is bpa they need to go with him, and not worry about set positions, which beane has said over and over again this off season. White may or may not be a luxury but a good team will find ways to use him long term and consistently. 

Is he an instant starter though? The majority of 1st round picks should be plug and play guys right off the bat. I don't see that with our current situation. I get taking BPA, but if there's a top tier 3 tech or OT that are similarly graded to White then I would think White would be the wrong choice in that scenario. If he's the clear cut #1 guy on their board that's available then go for it.

16 hours ago, Billsfaninptown said:

Is he an instant starter though? The majority of 1st round picks should be plug and play guys right off the bat. I don't see that with our current situation. I get taking BPA, but if there's a top tier 3 tech or OT that are similarly graded to White then I would think White would be the wrong choice in that scenario. If he's the clear cut #1 guy on their board that's available then go for it.

the only 3 tech players that are top 10 is Williams and Oliver, as I said before if Oliver is gone then White is the guy. As fans we are limited to scouting and rankings but every site I have looked at has White a 4th or 5th overall prospect behind guys like Williams, Bosa, Allen, and Oliver. Bills can definitely skip that and go pass rusher for long term but at that point it would be debatable because Sweat gary and burns all have been ranked below White. With Milano coming off of injury I think White will be an instant starter as he can plug in at his position and plug in at Alexanders position when they need rest. McDermott is known to rotate his front 7 regularly to keep them fresh through out the game and it would happen more often at the LB position as White can pretty much play all 3 LB spots. As for OT as days go on it seems like they are going to hold off on taking someone at 9 on the oline, they invested heavily in that area during FA and its now time to get a stud who can make an impact on defense. Either way I am going to be happy with the pick if they go defense at 9 as it would be the right move for them.

Just now, BillsGuy82 said:

I can't stop thinking about getting Jadeveon Clowney with a shiny new contract extension for our 2nd round pick

Hockenson or Metcalf at 9 and Clowney with our 2nd would be so dope

it would be even better if they traded back to 15 if giants pass on haskins and washington gives up their 2nd rd pick to go up and get him and the bills land hockenson at 15 if oliver or white arent available. So Clowney, Hockenson, and a 2nd rd pick 

3 minutes ago, soflbillsfan said:

it would be even better if they traded back to 15 if giants pass on haskins and washington gives up their 2nd rd pick to go up and get him and the bills land hockenson at 15 if oliver or white arent available. So Clowney, Hockenson, and a 2nd rd pick 

A starting front 7 of Hughes, Lotululei, Oliver, Clowney, Alexander, Edmunds, Milano with that secondary and some quality depth :D

On 3/17/2019 at 8:54 PM, soflbillsfan said:

After the bills addressed the oline in free agency with Morse, ty, waddle, feliciano, and long this offseason. Is oline a top need in the draft meaning do they need to go after guys in the 1st 3 rounds or would it be wise to go BPA? Could you say the same for Wr as well? i think it is safe to say bills should go BPA as they have the ability to do so now as the oline seemed to have upgraded drastically as well as WR. Obviously if the BPA is oline or wr you take them but they dont have to go in saying we need a tackle at 9 and reach for one if there isnt a value at 9 or 2nd rd or 3rd. 

Beane has always said that you don't draft for position, you draft best player available. So I believe he stays true to that. I was curious if we would shy away from WR and OL since we had so many signings, but, everyone except for Morse has a short term deal. Even though Beasley and Brown signed 3 & 4 year deals, those essentially could be one year deals the way they are structured. I'm thinking we don't go WR in the 1st or even the 2nd but it definitely wouldnt surprise me if we did.

6 hours ago, DER10N92 said:

Beane has always said that you don't draft for position, you draft best player available. So I believe he stays true to that. I was curious if we would shy away from WR and OL since we had so many signings, but, everyone except for Morse has a short term deal. Even though Beasley and Brown signed 3 & 4 year deals, those essentially could be one year deals the way they are structured. I'm thinking we don't go WR in the 1st or even the 2nd but it definitely wouldnt surprise me if we did.

The way that beane structures contracts are the smart way of handling a teams cap. You front load it with guarantees so if they do not pan out they are easy to cut. Every contract that has been signed since Beane came in have had essentially 2 year deals with 7 mil or less in dead cap if they need to move on year 3. Whaley was back loading contracts which is why we had a tough time clearing that cap on players.

The bills are low on depth at the DT position particularly the 3 technique why not bring a guy in like Mo Wilkerson who can play that position on the cheap as he is still out there and coming off of an ankle injury sustained early on in the season. I think it is low risk high reward if bills do not land a guy like Oliver at pick 9

22 hours ago, NickChowaniec said:

Update of Ansah and other free agent news:

Beane essentially said without being blatant about is they didnt like the medical on his shoulder. Giving him some time to heal and build strength on it, the bills may look at him after the draft if they do not land one then. I think most teams will wait and see for him.

9 minutes ago, soflbillsfan said:

Beane essentially said without being blatant about is they didnt like the medical on his shoulder. Giving him some time to heal and build strength on it, the bills may look at him after the draft if they do not land one then. I think most teams will wait and see for him.

Quote you might be referring to: 

“He had a tough shoulder injury last year and he’s still rehabbing that.

I don't take that as "they didn't like it" and that it removes the possibility.

It may not happen but he clearly said they're still open to it. Ultimately, I think the price is too high given the condition of the shoulder and they're waiting for that price to come down after he visits with other teams.