Frank Clark Situation

showtime

On 4/17/2019 at 3:32 PM, NFL_Announcer said:

It seems like he wants $20M per year (Lawrence) money.. but IMO he's more a $13-15M type player at the moment. He's not great against the run and can disappear at times. I'd be fine with a 5 year, $70M deal... not 5 year $100M (like I think he wants). Have to let him walk for that...

No way. That's just not the market. Trey Flowers just got 18 million a season (21 sacks in his career, averages 7/season). Dee Ford got 17.5. Preston Smith, who has 24 sacks in 4 years and has never had more than 8, makes 13 million on his own. Za'darius Smith has 18 sacks in his career and just got 16.5 million per season. Olivier Vernon makes 17 million. Carlos Dunlap makes 13.5 million and signed that extension when he was 29 years old, 4 years older than Clark is now. And he's had one season of 10+ sacks (though he has been very consistent in that 7-8 range throughout his career)

Clark is also younger than every single one of those guys with the exception of Flowers, whom he is 2 months older than. The market is simply not 13-15m for his caliber of player. I'd consider Clark better or on par with every one of those players I named, too. 

1 minute ago, showtime said:

The Raiders still have a lot of cap space after signing both Brown's this off-season?  I didn't know that.  What pick would they give the Seahawks? 

They have about 28 million in space right now. 

If I were them, I'd offer low, and if push came to shove, give up #24 without a second thought about it. Some of their fans are less inclined to do that, and I get the hesitancy, but I'll take Clark over a middle 20's first round pick all day. 

I'm up for moving him. Dude is a legit player, but with Wilsons absurd extension, and money being tight, extensions to Bobby and possibly Reed are probably a better use of that 18-20 million/year. 

If t hey cant get a 1st, then I wouldn't be against the Earl route, make him play that last year, re-coup the comp pick. 

On 4/21/2019 at 4:38 PM, animaltested said:

I'm up for moving him. Dude is a legit player, but with Wilsons absurd extension, and money being tight, extensions to Bobby and possibly Reed are probably a better use of that 18-20 million/year. 

If t hey cant get a 1st, then I wouldn't be against the Earl route, make him play that last year, re-coup the comp pick. 

I don't want the Earl Thomas route.  Not trading him for a second rounder was a really big mistake.  Granted, nobody knew he would get injured, but it sucks not having that pick right now - plus he didn't even really play.

If they're settled on the fact that Clark won't be back, then they need to trade him.

34 minutes ago, soflbillsfan said:

Looks like you guys got quite the haul for Clark. Seattle organization owned the chiefs on that trade deal. Guess Franchise Tag makes a bigger impact then people have thought

Chiefs gave up too much with the 2nd rounder next year (more like a 3rd this) but it makes sense. The Chiefs are in win now mode and have the luxury of a cheap QB for another few years. The Chiefs marched out one of the worst defenses in NFL history last year (surprisingly the Bengals were even worse), and lost Ford/Houston. Clark is a younger more healthy pass rusher than Ford/Houston so it makes sense. 

Seattle still clearly won the trade, but it's not terrible for the Chiefs. They needed an immediate impact player on D if they're going to make another run this year - and Clark was really the best thing available (on block + FA).

3 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Great haul boys. That's a lot of money freed up and capital to work with. 

Yah I wouldn't be shocked to see them trade their initial to move back into the top 10 2nd round picks and acquire a 3rd on top of it... and then slightly trade their other 1st into the early 2nd to snag a 5th/7th or something. 

But God only knows with Carroll/Schneider. I thought they'd take a RB last year with their 1st but didn't expect it to be Penny. Either way though, Seattle always looks to trade back.. they may trade their initial 1st for a 2nd + 3rd and then just use the Chiefs' 1st on a prospect they like if it falls. 

Lot of fans (and MANY being Seattle surprisingly) are forgetting we took Rasheem Green with our 3rd last year. Green could've potentially been a 1st or early 2nd this year if he'd gone back to school since he has the perfect mold/athleticism to succeed... he was just so raw and undersized that he fell quite a bit. If Green has really progressed and Seattle feels they can go all in with him, there may not be as big of a hole as a lot of people realize.

4 hours ago, NFL_Announcer said:

Yah I wouldn't be shocked to see them trade their initial to move back into the top 10 2nd round picks and acquire a 3rd on top of it... and then slightly trade their other 1st into the early 2nd to snag a 5th/7th or something. 

But God only knows with Carroll/Schneider. I thought they'd take a RB last year with their 1st but didn't expect it to be Penny. Either way though, Seattle always looks to trade back.. they may trade their initial 1st for a 2nd + 3rd and then just use the Chiefs' 1st on a prospect they like if it falls. 

Lot of fans (and MANY being Seattle surprisingly) are forgetting we took Rasheem Green with our 3rd last year. Green could've potentially been a 1st or early 2nd this year if he'd gone back to school since he has the perfect mold/athleticism to succeed... he was just so raw and undersized that he fell quite a bit. If Green has really progressed and Seattle feels they can go all in with him, there may not be as big of a hole as a lot of people realize.

Yeah great point about Green. It’ll be interesting to watch his progression. And I agree about trading down. That would make a ton of sense to try & get more picks. Suddenly it might be a really exciting draft now for the Seahawks. I didn’t understand not taking a 2nd for Earl last year & was disappointed to see that whole situation end so badly, so this is such a big win for the team to get such great compensation here for Clark. It’s really nice to see. Hope you guys hit on those draft picks 👍 Chance to really add some nice talent now.

Archived