2019 Free Agency V2

SBXISBXVSBXVIII

6 hours ago, Chali21 said:

Sort of, I think the team had a particular price in their head and wanted to stay there. I think that Cook wanted money and a chance to compete for a Super Bowl. Keep in mind he’s a older guy so he might not have much longer on getting to a Super Bowl. So i would say it was Cooks choice to go to NO and i don’t fault him. 

Well I haven't seen a single report that the Raiders even offered him any sort of contract offer. more like they let him twist in the wind and the Saint's finally came calling who happens to be a Super Bowl contender because his market was dry until then.

3 hours ago, Jerry said:

Not saying that at all.  I just don't think he was ever really concerned with integrating into the Raider nation.  He was just a player who wanted to do well in terms of production and pay.  You get these other players like D. Penn who was raised a fan and players like M. Lynch who just epitomize the Raider nation mentality and you can tell the difference between their appreciation for our team compared to other players.  I hate that M. Lynch wasn't able to enjoy more wins, him getting down in the coliseum every week would have been a blast if we found a way to win 10 games and hit the playoffs.  A. Cooper is another example, you could tell he wasn't ever really concerned with being a part of our team.  He was more concerned with his personal stats and is probably more concerned with the HoF and winning a championship.  Never about making our team look good, just himself.  

So it's not his fault, he just isn't the type of player to sign with another team and make a statement like "once a Raider, always a Raider". Some players do that, and I appreciate it when they do. 

Again maybe if the Raiders had offered him a contract he would be here, there has not been a single report that they did, its more likely that the signing of AB and Williams made him expendable and they made a decision to go with Waller and maybe draft a guy!

2 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Fingers crossed we can land a vet via trade or sign some once cut in pre-season? Not looking good.

What edge were we supposed to land? Clark, Clowney, Ford, and Lawerence were all franchise tagged before free agency began. Za'Darius Smith, Preston Smith, and Trey Flowers all got paid like elite players and none of them have ever even been 10+ sack guys. 

48 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

What edge were we supposed to land? Clark, Clowney, Ford, and Lawerence were all franchise tagged before free agency began. Za'Darius Smith, Preston Smith, and Trey Flowers all got paid like elite players and none of them have ever even been 10+ sack guys. 

I would have given Flowers his contract for sure. He'd ask more from us as we're not his old coach though. Flowers is an awesome run defender, was one of the highest in pressures last season, is only 25 and elevated his performance when it counted most. The other ones I agree with. 

49 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

I would have given Flowers his contract for sure. He'd ask more from us as we're not his old coach though. Flowers is an awesome run defender, was one of the highest in pressures last season, is only 25 and elevated his performance when it counted most. The other ones I agree with. 

$16M per year? Isn't he a 3-4 DE and better suited to be a 3T in a 4-3? 

Fairly surprising Mayock and Gruden havent brought in a veteran player yet who can apply pass rushing pressure. Instead we have signed multiple players in the across other positions and skills. Only Mauro/Burfict in the front 7. From a team that only got 13 sacks, we havent been agressive in that area.

It is not required to have dynamic pass rushers to get after a QB but only 2 DEs so far 

Still some players left but talent pool is getting dryer in FA. Still could be using draft picks to trade for a player is possible. Relying on all rookies to boost pass rush is risky.

12 hours ago, bucksavage1 said:

Fairly surprising Mayock and Gruden havent brought in a veteran player yet who can apply pass rushing pressure. Instead we have signed multiple players in the across other positions and skills. Only Mauro/Burfict in the front 7. From a team that only got 13 sacks, we havent been agressive in that area.

It is not required to have dynamic pass rushers to get after a QB but only 2 DEs so far 

Still some players left but talent pool is getting dryer in FA. Still could be using draft picks to trade for a player is possible. Relying on all rookies to boost pass rush is risky.

What edge or linebacker talent could we have added? Again, Clark, Lawerence, Clowney, and Ford were off the board before FA even began. Za'Darius Smith and Preston Smith have been a rotational 5-6 sack per year rusher and both got paid big bucks, and Flowers got paid and has only shown to be a 7 sack per year type of player. Anthony Barr, CJ Mosley, and Kwon Alexander all got $50M+ and none of those guys are game-changing talents. 

I feel like the plan for pass rusher fell through. Not sure what it was though. Mayock said they shifted plans once the AB thing happened. I wonder if they were going to try for one of the top edge guys before that happened. Then the other guys took our offers so you take the talent you can get.

Idk, color me in the camp that still would take Mack over 3 other guys lol