What’s the realistic aim this year?

Aztec Hammer

If we want a top 5 offense, it’s all on Bakers growth. Freddie is going to dedicate everything he has into putting Baker in plays he likes. Jarvis and OBJ will ball out. Chubb and Hunt will be phenomenal. The ONLY thing I could see hurting Baker is the o-line, but we have a top 5 o-line coach now.

29 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

If we want a top 5 offense, it’s all on Bakers growth. Freddie is going to dedicate everything he has into putting Baker in plays he likes. Jarvis and OBJ will ball out. Chubb and Hunt will be phenomenal. The ONLY thing I could see hurting Baker is the o-line, but we have a top 5 o-line coach now.

I think our oline will surprise a lot of people because of Campden. He consistently turned 3rd-7th round picks into viable starters in the NFL on a regular basis while at GB. Huge get for our coaching staff. 

On 13/03/2019 at 1:09 PM, Aztec Hammer said:

1. Patriots

2. Browns

3. Chiefs

4. Colts

5. Jaguars

6. Chargers

I can’t put anyone ahead of the Patriots until someone beats them or Brady calls it a day.

I will say we are built the best out of all the challengers to possibly topple them though.

On the back of the Hill rumours and also just more thinking, I’m revising this to:

1. Patriots

2. Browns

3. Chargers

4. Colts

5. Chiefs

6. Jaguars

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

People talk about the personalities, but I’m just not seeing the issue tbh.

I mean, do people honestly think guys like Tom Brady doesn’t have a personality or ego?  He tells McDaniels to go pound sand on the regular, screams, throws stuff on the sidelines, etc.  So what?  

The Warriors are full of big personalities.  Do things bubble over a bit at times? Yeah.  Do they win rings?  Yeah.

OBJ won’t steamroll Baker like he did Eli. Baker won’t miss the throws like Eli did.  Will they exchange some four letter words at times?  Yep.  Will it be an issue that festers and creates problems?  Not imo.

Don't pay it any attention.

People are looking for weakness, and if the only thing they can muster is "derrr there's so many personalities it'll probably crash!!!" then I'm happy. Opposing fans/media have a subconcious fear when they look at our roster and so they desperately cling to anything that they can try to use to convince themselves that this Browns team won't do well. It's the only thing they got. "Rookie HC! Too many personalities! Baker will do worse with more tape on him!" You can tell these guys haven't watched our games or they'd know that's very unlikely.

These aren't guys that came from Super Bowl privileged teams. Landry came from a losing situation and had never played with a QB as good as Baker. OBJ came from a losing situation and had never played with a QB as good as Baker. These guys fit together and will push each other and may have an outburst or two but it will be an incredible product on the field.

2 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

People talk about the personalities, but I’m just not seeing the issue tbh.

I mean, do people honestly think guys like Tom Brady doesn’t have a personality or ego?  He tells McDaniels to go pound sand on the regular, screams, throws stuff on the sidelines, etc.  So what?  

The Warriors are full of big personalities.  Do things bubble over a bit at times? Yeah.  Do they win rings?  Yeah.

OBJ won’t steamroll Baker like he did Eli. Baker won’t miss the throws like Eli did.  Will they exchange some four letter words at times?  Yep.  Will it be an issue that festers and creates problems?  Not imo.

I agree with this. Usually I dislike ‘personality’ players quite a lot. I just don’t often see many whose impact on the game merits their propensity to get fiery or have a blow up on the sidelines. At best, a team comprised of this might burn bright and achieve great success but very quickly implode. Seahawks/Eagles/Steelers are some examples that come to mind. It’s important to note that any of those examples, even though I’m talking about my disdain for them, were better teams than the Browns have been.

But what I will say is, there are certain players that make a team better through their fiery moments. Some call it a double standard but that’s nonsense, imo. It really comes down to one thing for me. If there’s a guy who I’m cool with showing some fire or getting het up from time to time, it damn well better be the QB and he damn well better be a great player.

That’s why Brady flipping his lid every now and then is never a deal. He has so much standing and equity that his teammates know... if this guy is pissed off, it’s for a genuine reason, let’s turn the energy up and get things done.

I have zero interest in Antonio Brown throwing Gatorade buckets and shoving coaches. You’re a receiver, bro. You aren’t the leader. You wouldn’t catch a ball if someone else didn’t throw it to you. All you end up doing is souring the rest of the team towards your personality and high maintenance behaviour.

Now to the Browns.

Odell is a great player. Just like Antonio Brown is. But this team doesn’t need him proposing to kicking nets or sitting by himself and kicking out in frustration. As great as he is, he’s not our leader. And he’s still just a receiver.

Our leader is Baker Mayfield. It has to be. Thankfully, he’s genuine enough in his desire to be a winner and love for his teammates that I think we are one of the few teams that would actually benefit from him being fiery or having a moment when he needs to.

There is a difference between being the Miami Hurricanes where everyone is pure emotion and the New England Patriots where the greatest qb ever gets angry a few times a season.

The Miami Hurricanes would not work in the pros, and we do need to make sure we don’t fall into that territory, imo. We should be leaning more towards the Pats. A QB that everyone respects and understands is the true leader. Follow his passion and let him lead.

10 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

@Aztec Hammer I don’t think the “do it the way the ______ do it” way ever works. Teams have to find their own path and each one is different.

Trying to be the Pats is what has been the primary issue with a lot of their assistants when they get their own gig.  McDaniels and Patricia immediately come to mind.

You’re right. I don’t think we should try to be the Pats. But rather just on a personality level, I think that kind of balanced mentality is more conducive to long term winning than being emotional all the time.

I’m thinking about sustaining a Dynasty already, that’s the problem 😎

1 minute ago, Aztec Hammer said:

You’re right. I don’t think we should try to be the Pats. But rather just on a personality level, I think that kind of balanced mentality is more conducive to long term winning than being emotional all the time.

I’m thinking about sustaining a Dynasty already, that’s the problem 😎

Idk, while guys like Brady or Jordan may have been more level headed, there’s always been more explosive personalities on championship teams.

Draymond, Laimbeer, Rodman, Joey Porter, TSizzle, Shaq, Kobe, etc...

I think people are focusing on a lot of the big personalities while ignoring the guys like Ogunjobi, Myles, Ward, Bitonio, Chubb, etc who are much more chill and who also play a large role in the team.

I’ll say this though, according to like, everyone who’s ever met the guy, Baker is the alpha.  In any group.  All the time.  He’s gonna lead this team and guys will fall in line.  If not, I’m sure Dorsey will send them packing. 

Between Dorsey, Freddie, Baker, Juice and Adam Henry, I just can’t see OBJ being a distraction to the point of being a detriment.  Will he do some “hey look at me” stuff.  Oh for sure, but I think the rest of these guys will either dig it or not care.  The only people who care are old guys on a sofa or in a TV studio.  Teammates not named Eli loved OBJ and I don’t see that changing. 

5 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

I have a fun thought. Are we like the Cardinal teams with Kurt Warner, prime Larry Fitz and prime Anquan Boldin? I think we are actually better.

Better defense. 

More explosive offense. 

Warner isnt a bad comp for Baker, short super accurate qbs.

1 minute ago, Kiwibrown said:

Better defense. 

More explosive offense. 

Warner isnt a bad comp for Baker, short super accurate qbs.

Yeah I think I got caught up with the Warner = Baker comparison. Juice reminds me of Boldin and Odell can play just like Fitz. That was a fun team. Our running backs are MUCH better.

We have more weapons than they did, njoku is better than their te, there running backs were meh. 

We are a lot more talented. 

We probably compare better with the gsot. Odell and Callaway like Bruce and holt, a better te, they probably had a better line, and a better rb, but hunt isnt that far away as a runner.

The greatness of our WR corp is dependent on Calloway imo.

If he ends up being a very high end number two, borderline number one type, then I think we can put ourselves in the conversation with some of those great WR groups.

Right now OBJ is a star, but he needs to stay healthy.

Juice is a solid number two, or superb slot guy.  He really needs to be in the slot.

Calloway has all the talent in the world, it’s just a matter of how much he develops.

Higgins is a solid number 4.  Very solid actually.

Archived