2019 MLB Regular Season Discussion

Thelonebillsfan

5 hours ago, Slateman said:

The Sox have like 62 million coming off the books next season: Rick Porcello ($20.625M), Pablo Sandoval ($19M), Mitch Moreland: ($6.5M), Steve Pearce ($6.25M), Eduardo Nunez ($5M), Brock Holt ($3.575M) and Tyler Thornburg ($1.75M). If JD Martinez opts out and they don't sign him, it's 84 million. 

Sale and Xander's contract kicks in and they increase 15 and 12 million, respectively (25.6 million and 20 million). With arbitration they're probably at 200 million.

So they're going to lose Moreland, Holt, and MArtinez, but be competitive? 

Betts

for

Pache, Camargo, Wright, Toussaint, and Contreras.

MLB:

As the Red Sox head into an offseason of uncertainty, it is fair to wonder if it’s realistic to expect star players Mookie Betts and  J.D. Martinez to both return in 2020.

“There’s a way that it could happen, but it will be difficult,” Red Sox president/CEO Sam Kennedy said of having both players on the roster next season.

Here is why.

Owner John Henry is on record as saying he’d like to get the team’s payroll below the first luxury-tax threshold of $208 million for 2020. The Sox had a payroll of roughly $240 million in ’19 (the highest in MLB for the second straight season) while finishing a disappointing 84-78.

It is ultimately up to Martinez if he’d like to return. He holds an opt-out that he can exercise within five days after the World Series that would make him a free agent.

////////////////////////////////////

If I'm Martinez - I bypass the opt out unless my agent has a bona fide offer from another team thats gonna equal (if not exceed) the guaranteed cash BOS owes you : $62,450M for the next three years - covering 32y/o thru 34y/o - 2020-$23750M / 2021-$19350M / 2022-$19350M. Without a firm offer in place, I'd sit tight. If BOS doesnt want to pay you? Fine. Make them trade you but the new team picks up the tab. If he thinks he'll find better on the market? Fine. Hope he's right.

1 minute ago, devils1854 said:

It would obviously have to come with an extension.

Again, why mortgage your future for one year of Betts when you can wait a year and sign him. He isnt going to give the Braves a discount because they traded for him.

4 minutes ago, Slateman said:

Again, why mortgage your future for one year of Betts when you can wait a year and sign him. He isnt going to give the Braves a discount because they traded for him.

I see your point, but also, you can make a case for knowing that if you trade some prospects you are 100% sure that he will be with your team for 8-10 years, you kinda dont let things go to chance in free agency?

9 hours ago, Leader said:

Okay, okay.....lets not go overboard eh?

As much as it pains me, I gave you this HR Derby Championship.....what with our "We're in so lets rest everybody up......." philosophy - during which we reverted back to Spring Training lineups and were picking up / releasing pitchers on a daily basis and reducing them to one inning limits - AND STILL - managed to get four guys hurt!!!!!

But here is where we will have to draw the line.

Good season MN...nobody can take that away from you.....but it will end soon :)

Didn't the twins backup catcher hit the last home run but Judge hit the Yankees last home run 🤔

Are the Yankees missing any key players? The Twins aren't done yet If they are it was a heck of a season and I think they are set up pretty well for the future. 

Boone can have MOY and twins can win this series. I think that's fair. The Yankees owe us from the Aaron Hicks trade

22 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

Didn't the twins backup catcher hit the last home run but Judge hit the Yankees last home run 🤔 Are the Yankees missing any key players? The Twins aren't done yet If they are it was a heck of a season and I think they are set up pretty well for the future. Boone can have MOY and twins can win this series. I think that's fair. The Yankees owe us from the Aaron Hicks trade

Judge did hit the last HR for the NYY....cant say who did it for MN.

Neither Encarnacion or Sanchez played the last 10-14 days of the season. Encarnacion is scheduled to take live swings this week and is supposed to be ready to go.  Sanchez will definitely be back for the ALDS. Urshela is said to have twisted/sprained his ankle in the last game (yup, cant make this stuff up.....) but how serious it was....nobody's said yet.

I'd be surprised if Boone is awared MOY. Not sure who should get it - but the word on the street is Boone benefited from the organizations ability to source and supply players....and lastly.....unfortunately I cant agree with your sense of fairness :)