Saints close to signing Jared Cook

candyman93

Brees has done wonders throwing to scrubs, so I can see being excited about this..

But we've all seen the Jared Cook show by now - great one game, terrible the next. The guy played with Aaron Rodgers and if not for one great playoff catch, none of us would even remember that.

5 minutes ago, FrantikRam said:

Brees has done wonders throwing to scrubs, so I can see being excited about this..

But we've all seen the Jared Cook show by now - great one game, terrible the next. The guy played with Aaron Rodgers and if not for one great playoff catch, none of us would even remember that.

He's always had the ability. It's the motivation/consistency which he struggles with. He was a top tier receiving TE last season and I expect his biggest season yet playing with a Super Bowl caliber team. He's going to be super motivated. 

56 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

He's always had the ability. It's the motivation/consistency which he struggles with. He was a top tier receiving TE last season and I expect his biggest season yet playing with a Super Bowl caliber team. He's going to be super motivated. 

I get why you would think that, but he was on a Super Bowl caliber Packer team and didn't play all that well. I agree that he's always had the ability and I saw him first hand for years - but he's just so inconsistent hard to figure which Jared Cook they will be getting.

Obviously the Saints and Rams were the top two teams in the NFC last year - but them signing Cook doesn't scare me at all.

16 minutes ago, FrantikRam said:

I get why you would think that, but he was on a Super Bowl caliber Packer team and didn't play all that well.

That is a kind of a flawed statement though. Since 2005 when Brett Favre was still with the Packers, they have had exactly 1 tight end go over 700 receiving yards in a season. That was back in 2011 with Jermichael Finley getting 768 receiving yards. Outside of that no Packer tight end has surpassed that number. This appears to be more of a system flaw than a player flaw in terms of Cook not producing much in his year with the Packers. It also doesn't help that he played in just 9 or 10 games that year.  It's not like the Packers have had a lack of TE talent either. Just this past year they had Jimmy Graham play 16 games, but he only put up 600 receiving yards and 2 touchdowns.

The Saints on the other hand have had several successful TE's in their system since Brees/Payton arrived. In a lot of ways this signing reminds me of when we brought in Ben Watson. Watson was on the back end of his career, and had been inconsistent much of his career despite showing flashes of what he could be, but like Cook had similar athleticism for the position to create mismatches. Watson went on to have a career year at age 35 in his first year as a starting TE for the Saints. 

I don't by any means think he is going to be a top 3 receiving TE, but I don't think it is out of the question for him to put up similar numbers to last year in a much better system this year with the Saints.

1 hour ago, tyler735 said:

That is a kind of a flawed statement though. Since 2005 when Brett Favre was still with the Packers, they have had exactly 1 tight end go over 700 receiving yards in a season. That was back in 2011 with Jermichael Finley getting 768 receiving yards. Outside of that no Packer tight end has surpassed that number. This appears to be more of a system flaw than a player flaw in terms of Cook not producing much in his year with the Packers. It also doesn't help that he played in just 9 or 10 games that year.  It's not like the Packers have had a lack of TE talent either. Just this past year they had Jimmy Graham play 16 games, but he only put up 600 receiving yards and 2 touchdowns.

The Saints on the other hand have had several successful TE's in their system since Brees/Payton arrived. In a lot of ways this signing reminds me of when we brought in Ben Watson. Watson was on the back end of his career, and had been inconsistent much of his career despite showing flashes of what he could be, but like Cook had similar athleticism for the position to create mismatches. Watson went on to have a career year at age 35 in his first year as a starting TE for the Saints. 

I don't by any means think he is going to be a top 3 receiving TE, but I don't think it is out of the question for him to put up similar numbers to last year in a much better system this year with the Saints.

I wouldn't be surprised either, and given that Brees has had success throwing to absolute nobodies, I'd be excited if I was a Saints fan for sure. He's similar to Ben Watson too.

But I've just seen the Jared Cook show too many times to be able to think this is a slam dunk. Things that should make sense with Cook (he did well with Carr so he should do better with Brees) often do not.

Archived