Gronk announces retirement

Forge

Thanks @Forge for paying respects by posting this breaking news here.

Sad to see the end of the Gronk show but it's the best decision for his longterm health. Thank you for everything. Gronkowski legitmately makes not just the Patriots and the NFL a better place but the whole world. His presence on the field cannot be matched by any one individual. Surely a Hall of Famer and arguably the greatest career for a tight end of all time despite the injuries and somewhat short number of season.

But man, time flew by with him. Can't believe it's over.

Easily the most dominant blocking and receiving tight end at any given time. To retire before the age of 30 with all he has accomplished is truly remarkable. I hope he has a long and happy next chapter that is as rewarding for him as he has made it for his fans.

3 minutes ago, DoleINGout said:

This gives the Patriots around $10 million in cap space which is much needed.

might be a little late. Maybe they can make use of it in the trade market.

2 minutes ago, Asciimo said:

we are taking a TE at 32 now right?

I really dont think we should be looking for a direct replacement. For one, Gronk is one of a kind. For another, his play style is unsustainable as we saw throughout his career and now as he retires before the big 3-0. While adding a TE to the roster would be prudent, I do not think we should invest so heavily. 

2 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

if you are referring to Hernandez they were very different players and didnt really play the same position if you catch my drift. 

One missing factor that would have extended Gronk's career and enhanced the Patriots title count in my opinion.

The biggest thing this leaves is the guy Brady throws to when he really needs to take a 1v1 shot. If Gordon can't return, it'll be interesting to see who's that guy now. I doubt it would be Edelman just because he's too small to be as reliable on 1v1 outside routes like fade routes as Gronk.

Archived