With OPI, DPI and non-calls reviewable, is it good for football?

William Lee

I'm all for getting the call right. 

I like the way College Football handles it. I -think- I like this, but one thing I believe many people are overlooking is the old "clear indisputable video evidence" no wishy washy ones should be overturned. Lets not pretend the sky is falling.

I'm also all for getting the call right. Could've been lifechanging tbh

But I think they need to restrict this. 4th quarter/OT only, you can keep challenging it until the officials overrule you and you're done. So that would prevent coaches from "spamming" it. Maybe even only allowing it once, regardless of the ruling. I'm not sure. 

13 minutes ago, Danger said:

I'm all for getting the call right. 

I like the way College Football handles it. I -think- I like this, but one thing I believe many people are overlooking is the old "clear indisputable video evidence" no wishy washy ones should be overturned. Lets not pretend the sky is falling.

To add to this, I'd assuming if you're throwing a flag on a push-off that your DB couldn't have been holding whatsoever or you won't get the call.

And if you're throwing a flag on a DB who hooked your WRs arm, your WR better not extend that other arm into the DB or you won't get the call either.

So that would limit how much the rule changes things as well.

2 hours ago, navysaintsfan said:

I just want the right call made on the field. There is no reason for a bad or missed PI call to influence a game as much as they do in today's day and age. The Saints showed twice during the season how missed or bad PI calls can affect things tremendously. The called PI in the Pittsburgh/NO game when clearly Alvin Kamara was not only not interfered with but the ball was uncatchable. With a proper review, it's possible that Pittsburgh may have not fallen behind as much as they did and the game could have swung their way. A win for them in that game means a playoff berth. And on the other side, the LA/NO no PI call towards the end of the game. That no call likely cost NO a Super Bowl berth. I'm not for calls to just go my way, I want the right calls on the field. I think this is a step in the right direction.

Agreed and to your point I think they need to eliminate PI as a spot foul anyway. 15 Yards and that's it. It's BS the way it is right now. A defense can shut a team down all game and lose in the 4th qtr because of a 60 yard PI. That's not fair at all.

I feel like being down 1-6 points in the final two minutes and having the ball with one more opportunity to score is going to be a huge advantage. The defense will almost certainly have to strip sack or get an INT to end the game.

I'm absolutely expecting to see a significant spike in 4th qtr comebacks and average game length (close to 4 hours).

25 minutes ago, RabidPanther89 said:

Agreed and to your point I think they need to eliminate PI as a spot foul anyway. 15 Yards and that's it. It's BS the way it is right now. A defense can shut a team down all game and lose in the 4th qtr because of a 60 yard PI. That's not fair at all.

Then if a DB gets beat on a deep ball, he can always just go and hold the receiver's arm and get 15 yards whereas otherwise he'd either have scored or been close to it.

Think of all the plays the defender gets there a little bit early or all the hand fighting and arm grabbing down the field. Now we are into subjective opinion on whether something is enough for PI. You can say get the call right but who says what's right, that's what people are afraid of.  I'm not saying that means we definitely shouldn't try it.

Archived