M's Acquire Mike Leake from Cardinals

ramssuperbowl99

5 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

I think you got off light losing $10M-ish for Leake, likely coming a rebuilding year or two. That deal was bad the day it was signed and is gonna get worse. Him not wanting an incentive to drop his no-trade certainly helped, but -$10M net isn't that bad.

He's a 2 WAR SP when we signed him, and nothing has really changed that.  The problem is the Cardinals have young arms behind him that offer more upside, so they can afford to move on from him.  It wasn't really the first three years of the deal that concerned me, it was the last two year and inexcusable option year.

5 hours ago, NewAge said:

Honestly, I like this deal for Seattle. They get a fine major league starter for a fair rate. 

Seattle is going to take all of the backend SPs, at this point their rotation (even when Felix is healthy) is Paxton and a bunch of meh.  I do however like how aggressive Dipoto has been knowing that this core is near the end of their peak... can't stay in the middle, have to go one way or the other.

8 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

I'd be willing to bet you eat more than $8M.

Also there's this:

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseball/professional/cardinals-trade-leake-to-mariners/article_8c351cf8-de29-5282-b862-21beb1433eff.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Some of the Cardinals’ players learned of the news on Twitter. One of them, veteran starter Lance Lynn, said, “If you look at everything that’s happened so far, there’s been no acquisitions (by the Cardinals). There’s been taking away — whether that’s been injuries or trades.

“Whoever’s coming up to make that start, we’re going to need something good from them — testing our depth from within.”

The Cardinals are on the fringe of contention in both the National League Central Division, where they are five games behind the Chicago Cubs and the wild-card race, in which they are 5½ games behind second wild-card Colorado.

“So we’re five back in both and we’re taking away a pitcher who can pitch 200 innings and get outs at a high level,” said Lynn. “That’s tough.”

There is a theory that the money the Cardinals have saved on Leake’s contract might be applied to a potential extension for Lynn. But the righthander said, “You can’t say that. There’s been no talks. There’s been zero communication, whatsoever.

“I’m sure whenever the time comes — when the World Series is over and five days after, I’m sure somebody will talk to me. I just don’t know who it is. They’ve had a whole season. Five days isn’t going to matter.

“But I just work here.”

It's amazing how classy, first-rate organizations don't seem so classy and first-rate when the talent well dries up.

I didn't see that coming.  That's got to be a little bit of a white flag being waived for the guys still on the team.  It is unlikely they make the playoffs, but it's not like they are all that far out.  5-6 games is certainly doable.  Hell, the Cubs overcame that big of a lead from the Brewers in essentially 2 weeks.

1 hour ago, hrubes20 said:

I didn't see that coming.  That's got to be a little bit of a white flag being waived for the guys still on the team.  It is unlikely they make the playoffs, but it's not like they are all that far out.  5-6 games is certainly doable.  Hell, the Cubs overcame that big of a lead from the Brewers in essentially 2 weeks.

They're running even with the Marlins, would need the Rockies to completely collapse and the Brewers to kind of stink it up. What are the odds that realistically happens?

1 hour ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

They're running even with the Marlins, would need the Rockies to completely collapse and the Brewers to kind of stink it up. What are the odds that realistically happens?

Brewers could still play decent and the Cards could make up the  2.5 games quite easily, as they play them a few more times this year.  Colorado has been playing poorly for awhile now as well (below .500 since the ASB) and if they just continue what they've been doing since the ASB, would get passed by all three of Milwaukee, Miami, and St. Louis by the end of next month.  Marlins are playing good ball though, which does present a problem.  But it's just weird to see them make a move like that. 

7 hours ago, hrubes20 said:

It was definitely out of LF, but I wouldn't say it was as much about waiving the white flag as much as it was getting a better idea of where they stood heading into 2018.  Let's be honest, in the second half of the season Mike Leake has been awful by just about any metric imaginable.  He had a 4.89 FIP, .380 wOBA, and a 6.90 ERA in the second half of the season, in 44.1 IP.  In the 65.1 IP that Luke Weaver has at the big league level, he's already accumulated 1.2 WAR with a 3.75 FIP and 4.27 ERA.  It's not really a stretch to believe that Luke Weaver could match, if not exceed Mike Leake's production all while getting a jump start on evaluating Luke Weaver as a member of the 2018 rotation.  The Cardinals essentially call Mike Leake a sunk cost, and move his contract from the books.

6 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Does anyone really think that Luke Weaver is a downgrade (if any) to Mike Leake?

Archived