M's Acquire Mike Leake from Cardinals

ramssuperbowl99

31 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Depends on how much cash is moving, but getting out from Leake's deal without having to eat a ton of money would be a win for the Cardinals.

I think people forget how good Leake was in the first half of the season, unfortunately he's crashed and burned in the second half.  Regardless, he's been his career self this year which is ~2 WAR.  They paid him $27M for his first two years in St. Louis, and he's been worth north of $35M so they got some surplus value for him.  Now they unload him onto the Mariners who are desperate for pitching.

9 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I think people forget how good Leake was in the first half of the season, unfortunately he's crashed and burned in the second half.  Regardless, he's been his career self this year which is ~2 WAR.  They paid him $27M for his first two years in St. Louis, and he's been worth north of $35M so they got some surplus value for him.  Now they unload him onto the Mariners who are desperate for pitching.

He was pretty bad in June. Been atrocious since July. 

10 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I'd be willing to bet you eat more than $8M.

Also there's this:

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseball/professional/cardinals-trade-leake-to-mariners/article_8c351cf8-de29-5282-b862-21beb1433eff.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Some of the Cardinals’ players learned of the news on Twitter. One of them, veteran starter Lance Lynn, said, “If you look at everything that’s happened so far, there’s been no acquisitions (by the Cardinals). There’s been taking away — whether that’s been injuries or trades.

“Whoever’s coming up to make that start, we’re going to need something good from them — testing our depth from within.”

The Cardinals are on the fringe of contention in both the National League Central Division, where they are five games behind the Chicago Cubs and the wild-card race, in which they are 5½ games behind second wild-card Colorado.

“So we’re five back in both and we’re taking away a pitcher who can pitch 200 innings and get outs at a high level,” said Lynn. “That’s tough.”

There is a theory that the money the Cardinals have saved on Leake’s contract might be applied to a potential extension for Lynn. But the righthander said, “You can’t say that. There’s been no talks. There’s been zero communication, whatsoever.

“I’m sure whenever the time comes — when the World Series is over and five days after, I’m sure somebody will talk to me. I just don’t know who it is. They’ve had a whole season. Five days isn’t going to matter.

“But I just work here.”

Just now, CWood21 said:

You were right.  Honestly, I get the whole wanting to dump Leake thing.  They have to be using this money elsewhere though.

I think you got off light losing $10M-ish for Leake, likely coming a rebuilding year or two. That deal was bad the day it was signed and is gonna get worse. Him not wanting an incentive to drop his no-trade certainly helped, but -$10M net isn't that bad.

Archived