NFL Draft Discussion (Rounds 1-7)

zelbell

1 minute ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

Is that you rationalizing the pick? is this the company line or would you say the same thing with a couple of beers in you? We won't tell.....

I was hoping for Josh Allen at 6, Lock or Jones at 17. Unfortunately Jones wasn’t lasting to 17, and Lock obviously has some issues since he’s still on the board. So I’m okay with how it turned out 

11 minutes ago, Gmen said:

Well, Jones checks a lot of boxes for a franchise quarterback. Size, athleticism, intelligence, toughness, character, good mechanics. The production wasn’t great, but he was on a really bad Duke team with terrible receivers and a terrible offensive line. The Giants weren’t the only team interested in Jones. Broncos, Bengals, Redskins and Patriots all liked Jones.

Im an optimist, and I’m excited to see what Jones can do. I think it’s funny how people make draft day judgements about players and state them as facts rather than unsure opinions. I’ve followed the draft long enough to know better.

So obviously it’s early, but humor me and rank these scenarios based on your preference.

1. Barkley, Jones, Lawrence and Baker

2. Darnold, Josh Allen* (or other player available at 6), Lawrence and Baker 

3. Barkley, Allen*, Lawrence and Rosen

4. Barkley, Haskins, Lawrence and Baker

5. Darnold, Allen*, Baker, and OBJ (assuming he wasn’t disgruntled with Darnold)

6. Barkley, Haskins, Baker and OBJ

Just now, Gmen said:

I was hoping for Josh Allen at 6, Lock or Jones at 17. Unfortunately Jones wasn’t lasting to 17, and Lock obviously has some issues since he’s still on the board. So I’m okay with how it turned out 

The only thing I agree with is them Identifying Jones as their guy and not risking losing him and selecting him at 6, as far as Lock, I just don't think he can read a defense which is bad for a QB

2 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Not trying to be an arse at all, but as someone who has no skin in the game from the Giants perspective, I’d probably prefer literally any of the other options as opposed to what Gettleman actually did.

Depends on Daniel Jones (thanks, Mr. Obvious).  I personally didn't like him very much.  I did watch a handful of cutups, and all I could think of was Ryan Tannehill.

He does get the ball out quick and looked good at times.  Not sure how he'll do with a dirty pocket.  I was actually at the Duke-Pitt game, and he looked good.  Not good enough to take at #6, though.

2 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

The only thing I agree with is them Identifying Jones as their guy 

That’s my biggest issue tbh.

If you listed Darnold, Allen, Rosen, Jackson, Jones, and Haskins and said pick one, I’m not sure Jones is my guy 😂 

Even if I glossed over Jones’s issues and was hypercritical of the others issues, I can’t see him being a better prospect than Darnold or Rosen. Probably not Haskins, but I’m not exactly a huge fan of his.  Maybe Allen, I wasn’t a huge fan.  He’s probably a better passer than Jackson, but I see a clearer path to winning games (at least short term) with him.  

I Gettleman passed on 2-3 guys who I think I’d rate as clearly better.

1 minute ago, ReggieCamp said:

Depends on Daniel Jones (thanks, Mr. Obvious).  I personally didn't like him very much.  I did watch a handful of cutups, and all I could think of was Ryan Tannehill.

He does get the ball out quick and looked good at times.  Not sure how he'll do with a dirty pocket.  I was actually at the Duke-Pitt game, and he looked good.  Not good enough to take at #6, though.

Yeah he’s a decent enough prospect, but he’s not a 6th overall type guy imo nor is he a better prospect compared to some of the guys Gettleman has passed on.

I just look at the 4 firsts they’ve had over the last two years and I would have wanted more bang for my buck if I was a Giants fan.

5 minutes ago, Gmen said:

Man, Josh Allen, Bradbury, then trade a 2nd or 3rd for Rosen would have been a really solid

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

If you listed Darnold, Allen, Rosen, Jackson, Jones, and Haskins and said pick one, I’m not sure Jones is my guy 😂 

Even if I glossed over Jones’s issues and was hypercritical of the others issues, I can’t see him being a better prospect than Darnold or Rosen. Probably not Haskins, but I’m not exactly a huge fan of his.  Maybe Allen, I wasn’t a huge fan.  He’s probably a better passer than Jackson, but I see a clearer path to winning games (at least short term) with him.  

As far as talent, I don't agree at all, there were way better options (Haskins, Rosen) but as an organization if you gone go down, they might as well go down unified.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gmen said:

Well, Jones checks a lot of boxes for a franchise quarterback. Size, athleticism, intelligence, toughness, character, good mechanics. The production wasn’t great, but he was on a really bad Duke team with terrible receivers and a terrible offensive line. The Giants weren’t the only team interested in Jones. Broncos, Bengals, Redskins and Patriots all liked Jones.

Im an optimist, and I’m excited to see what Jones can do. I think it’s funny how people make draft day judgements about players and state them as facts rather than unsure opinions. I’ve followed the draft long enough to know better.

I knew you'd like it.

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Why are people still talking about Rosen as if he’s any good? He sucked last year, he has attitude concerns, his own team gave up on him after one year, and several quarterback needy teams decided to go in different directions. 

I don’t understand the outrage. Last year everyone was outraged we took Saquon, who is the best RB in the league, over Darnold, Allen and Rosen - All of which still have big question marks around them. This year we do take a quarterback. One with size, athleticism, brains, character and toughness. The reaction? Outrage once again! I don’t get it. Even the reaction among many Giants fans is embarrassing. 

4 minutes ago, Gmen said:

Why are people still talking about Rosen as if he’s any good? He sucked last year,

So if a rookie struggles, they suck forever?

he has attitude concerns, his own team gave up on him after one year, and several quarterback needy teams decided to go in different directions. 

And now we just assume that team made the right choice.

I don’t understand the outrage. Last year everyone was outraged we took Saquon, who is the best RB in the league, over Darnold, Allen and Rosen - All of which still have big question marks around them. This year we do take a quarterback. One with size, athleticism, brains, character and toughness. The reaction? Outrage once again!

I’m not outraged at all, I truly don’t give a damn.  I just think it’s been a series of missteps and I’m curious as to the “why” behind the support from fans.

I don’t get it. Even the reaction among many Giants fans is embarrassing. 

I mean, maybe it ain’t them that’s not getting it?

Just now, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

So if a rookie struggles, they suck forever?

And now we just assume that team made the right choice.

I’m not outraged at all, I truly don’t give a damn.  I just think it’s been a series of missteps and I’m curious as to the “why” behind the support from fans.

I mean, maybe it ain’t them that’s not getting it?

Why the support? Because as a fan of an organization like the Giants, who have won 2 Superbowls in my short time being a fan, I’ve learned to be optimistic and give them the benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise. 

Many Giants fans weren’t happy with the OBJ selection and many Giants fans wanted Eric Ebron. Eagles fans were rejoicing at the selection, and claimed they drafted a better receiver in Jordan Matthews. How’d that turn out? Again, I’ve seen so much of this nonsense over the years, and to see it again makes me roll my eyes. 

• Like 1