8. Philadelphia Eagles

2019 draft class
1 22 OT Andre Dillard
2 53 RB Miles Sanders
2 57 WR J.J. Arcega-Whiteside
4 138 EDGE Shareef Miller
5 167 QB Clayton Thorson

Favorite pick: Andre Dillard, OT, Washington State
One of my favorite picks in the entire draft, the Eagles traded up two spots to secure one of the best players in the draft. With Jason Peters slowing down, Dillard immediately strengthens the left tackle spot if Peters misses any time, and he also gives Philadelphia a long-term answer.

Questionable pick: Shareef Miller, EDGE, Penn State
The fourth round felt a tad rich for Miller, who is a solid run defender and plays hard but doesn’t have the athletic profile to consistently threaten as a pass-rusher.

Day 3 pick who could surprise: Clayton Thorson, QB, Northwestern
Hopefully for the Eagles, we don’t need to see Thorson on the field because Carson Wentz stays healthy and starts all 16 games. But Thorson has the intangibles that will pay dividends behind the scenes. He also has the skill set to eventually beat out Nate Sudfeld and be a reliable backup.

• Like 1

Honestly at this point as an Eagles fan I just have to feel this class hinges on Andre Dillard and I don't say that to knock the other guys we've selected.

It's just that besides Carson Wentz its been a tough go for us on first round picks lately.

Obviously we didn't have one last year as we traded back which looks to have been a smart decision.

However, looking back I wasn't that excited about the Derek Barnett selection.

I liked Nelson Agholor, but he wasn't my top choice and felt he was more of a 2nd round guy.

Didn't really like Marcus Smith at all and had to talk myself into liking it.

Not everyone had the same opinion obviously, but I think most people on here were pretty close. The only difference probably was that some of you were higher on Barnett.

I feel a lot better about Dillard and what he is and what he ultimately can become. No non QB has had this upside since Lane Johnson or Fletcher Cox.

He just looks so natural in the most important part at one of the most important positions. 

It just feels great to finally have another (non-QB) first rounder that I can get excited about.

4 hours ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

It's not that I dislike the Sanders or Arcega-Whiteside picks. I actually like both players.

It's just next years class looks to be significantly better at WR and RB.

Like if it were me I probably would've taken Nasir Adderley with the first pick then traded back with the 2nd pick and taken a RB like Darrell Henderson while picking up an extra 4th rounder.

You can’t not take a player that you like because maybe a year from now hopefully if everything breaks just perfectly, you have a slight chance that quite possibly you have the remote opportunity to draft somebody that could potentially be better. 

2 hours ago, EaglesPeteC said:

You can’t not take a player that you like because maybe a year from now hopefully if everything breaks just perfectly, you have a slight chance that quite possibly you have the remote opportunity to draft somebody that could potentially be better. 

That’s true, but I’m not suggesting waiting just for the sake of it. I mean I suggested taking a RB after a small trade down (if possible) and I don’t think WR was a pressing need. I liked Adderley a bit more than the skill position players we took. Eagles felt differently obviously.

Edited by TheRealMcCoy
  • Like 1

Our WR's didn't feel that great to me last year, Jeffrey Obviously is good but feel he's been only a #2 WR due to chemistry issues with Wentz. Agholor is still incosistent, and we didn't have any other WR last year besides them two unless you count Ertz and Goedert when they split out. 

We did get Jackson this year, but past this year were does he stand, will he be able to have chemistry with wentz? 

Archega-Whiteside Will be one of the best WR's of this Draft Class, Will be able to play Slot and play Outside. 

Way I look at it is this. We've  added

Howard, Sanders, DeSean, JJ , Mack (IR) and Dillard to an offense/Wentz that clearly needed help.

Kept/added Malik, Curry, Sendajo,  Jernigan,  to IR players like 

Bennett

Darby

McCloed

Jones

Mills

With the playing time that Maddox, LeBlanc and Douglas got last year , I'm not seeing this draft as a negative, regardless of it only being 5 picks.

If healthy, this team could be scary. Breakout the GD smoothie machine and figure that portion of building a team out again because  last year was derailed by injury,  despite making the playoffs. 

Edited by Nabbs4u

The real problem with just five picks is that there is little margin for error.

It is great if everyone works out, but they won't.

Dillard and Thorson don't look to be immediate contributors, except that Dillard should see limited snaps with hopes of future greatness.

Miller and Aecega-Whiteside look to be nominal contributors in rotational roles with some upside.

Miller looks to max out as a rotational player, even if he contributes immediately.

The Eagles need one, if not two, of the UDFA's to pan out, Edwards being the most likely.

That doesn't make it a bad draft, just one with limited immediate and potential future impact.

B-

So Im6 curious, what position or players could the Eagles have drafted (way the board fell) that would  of started day one for the Eagles in 2019?

This obsession with the immediate is a fan thing, not a Successful  GM/FO thing. Howie is not only looking towards 2019 but beyond both via the Draft and FA. Just remember to add those we 'Traded For' to the actual totality of players and the 2019 Draft.

38 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

So Im6 curious, what position or players could the Eagles have drafted (way the board fell) that would  of started day one for the Eagles in 2019?

This obsession with the immediate is a fan thing, not a Successful  GM/FO thing. Howie is not only looking towards 2019 but beyond both via the Draft and FA. Just remember to add those we 'Traded For' to the actual totality of players and the 2019 Draft.

Using start as a loose term, 

MLB/OLB - you draft a Bush or White and they start Day One and improve the D. Helps you shutdown the rushing attacks of the NFC East.

DT - you draft tackle the first two rounds they likely start 40% of the snaps to help keep Fletch and Malik lethal.

Safety/Nickel - drafting one early gives you the confidence to drop Sendejo maybe (saves you a 4th in comp). Allows you to rest Malcolm more (played 100% of defensive snaps) and go more versatile back there. Likely plays a similar 40% of the time year one

RB (which we got) - an athletic runner who can get out in the flats, change of pace from Howard would get a lot of time. Miles will be a starter of sorts.

IOL - Isaac was ok but not amazing enough to fight off an upgrade, Brooks is coming off injury (might not be ready) and Kelce keeps talking about retiring. If you get a stud  interior linemen and he could be a starter year one and could eventually move around as you go.

To be clear, I think this is a stupid way of drafting. 

10 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

All areas the 2018 Eagles struggled with.

Anyone know the actual Recieving attempts he was given in comparison to his peers while putting  up these numbers?

It's tough to find some of those advanced stats, especially because he's not even on certain things, most of those were lower end fan scouting things.

This paints a picture of the class pretty well

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2019/4/22/18410620/nfl-draft-wide-receiver-stats-2019-projections-dk-metcalf-aj-brown-sleeper

If the goal was a player who had the speed to get some separation and frame/body control to play outside or in for 3rd downs and redzone...JJ stands out.

Hakeem Butler and him were comparable, JJ's strengths over him was a little bit more speed. Which maybe is what helped him get further downfield in critical down situations than Butler.