Baltimore Ravens 2019 Draft Thread

coordinator0

5 hours ago, drd23 said:

1000 yards is relatively rare in a rookie season - it's only happened 17 times in the entirety of the NFL.   Factor in the sort of offense we're likely to run and I'd be surprised if any WR on this team puts up 1000 yards this season

I never said he would do it. I simply said that he has a skill set that he COULD do it.

If completely healthy the entire season and offseason, his speed, route running, our talent dearth at the position, the run defense that HAS to be a great defensive focus, his bloodlines, the Florida connection between LJ8 and he, and his 1st round status leading to an easier track to playing time and targets... those are all variables that when considered leads me to believe that of the history of the NFL wide receivers he could equally enter himself into said historical company.

Me saying I’m “down” on him is simply saying that I thought some fans that are particularly optimistic might’ve projected 900-950 yds.

Just think Torrey Smith with a similar skill set in a similar run first offense put up 841 yds and 7 TDs as a rookie. With worse hands, a less creative offense, and less route diversity to his game. Torrey equally had a nice path to opportunities as Brown.

Mike Wallace was a third round pick that had to earn more and more opportunity shares, he was a one trick pony in Pittsburgh and got 756 yds and 6 TDs.

DeSean Jackson got 912 yds as a late 2nd round pick as a less developed player than Hollywood.

T.Y. Hilton with 861 yds, 7 TDs and having missed a game.

My point is that elite deep threats thrust into playing time tend to convert their production faster (albeit with less upside) than other WR types. Even Breshad Perriman got 66 targets as a rookie. As a much superior player, Brown with 95-100 targets could put up 54 recs, 1020 yds, 18.9 YPC, 8 TDs... and it wouldn’t shock me.

So only 800 yds and 6 TDs felt like a very conservative estimate vs what it could’ve been.

8 hours ago, Danand said:

I am not down on Brown at all, and my anticipation of his production is not a criticism of him. I just believe, that although we will pass more than last season, there will still not be that many opportunities for him, and we could see him have a season like Calvin Ridley last year, who was lights out one week and gone the other.

With limited targets, I just see 5-6 games with 70-80 yards, and the rest sprinkled over the rest of the games.

Calvin was actually one of the players I had in mind when considering Browns production. Ridley put up 821 yds, 10 TDs. I think Brown presents every bit the level of polish as Ridley as a route runner and is more explosive. Just saying by “down” that Tyreek Hill as a 5th round pick with character concerns and no inside track for opportunity shares obtained greater production than 500, with 593 yds, 6 TDs.

6 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Lasley was never active - so I suppose I meant gameday roster. Either way, he never played.

I think this is actually more telling for the other reason.

We know that Harbaugh is very special teams focused and we kept a receiver on the inactive the entire season who had very little special teams value to offer, while our WR depth chart was filled much more with veterans that demanded opportunity shares (M.Crabtree, J.Brown, and W.Snead) plus a similar talent that had shown some value on offense and special teams (Moore).

Lasley beat the odds by at least consistently staying on the roster without trickery (redshirt) or an injury to an entrenched player.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, DreamKid said:

An angle regarding our draft I haven't seen mentioned is the possible shortening of Lamar's leash in the eyes of the FO. With investment comes expectation. We have young bookend tackles, a strong core of running backs, and a top Tight End room in the league. Now with a 1st and 3rd thrown at the WR position. It's safe to say we've put Lamar in position to succeed. 

Should he not, what should we expect out of DeCosta? 

We don't have a ton invested in Jackson. He's a relatively cheap shot at a possible QBOTF. If things don't go well this year, I think he should be concerned come next draft.

Just as every other quarterback, he will have to prove himself and he get 4 years to do it. If there is still some uncertainty we could be in the QB market in 4 years - nothing suprising about that imo. More than half the league are in that position, we just got accustomed to having a QB for a decade - only Steelers, Saints, Patriots, Packers, Falcons are in the same position (wilson, dalton, newton are on their way).

I firmly believe, that teams should find a quarterback they can win with. The truly elite quarterbacks who are consistent year in year out are unicorns. Had Brady been on any other team I doubt he would have had the same succes, so we can't use the Patriots succes as something to aim for. The last 10 years of super bowl winners has only been QB driven a couple of times - it is strong teams with a good enough QB who won. If Lamar doesn't flame out, and if he is just a Russell Wilson light, then I can't see why we shouldn't keep him.

• Like 1

I think getting Jaylon around a professional club's strength and conditioning program will activate some(more than usual) untapped potential. I saw a couple draft pundits mention it, and it does look like he's carrying some bad weight.

I just hope they don't start getting any wacky ideas, like trying to get him crazy big to play inside or something. 

I had no idea this was a thing. I've got a Packers fan trying to convince me that we traded out of our pick, and they traded up ahead of us because we wanted.....Darnell Savage.

I guess they're just trying to justify the trade to a higher level, but my god....

As I said to him, that would be some 1st year plan from DeCosta there. Invest 1st Round capital in one of our deepest positions. Take away snaps from proven impact players like Levine and Young. Cast aside the young talent we've already developed in Chuck Clark. And obviously just forget about DeShon Elliot.

Wacky. 

1 hour ago, DreamKid said:

I had no idea this was a thing. I've got a Packers fan trying to convince me that we traded out of our pick, and they traded up ahead of us because we wanted.....Darnell Savage.

I guess they're just trying to justify the trade to a higher level, but my god....

As I said to him, that would be some 1st year plan from DeCosta there. Invest 1st Round capital in one of our deepest positions. Take away snaps from proven impact players like Levine and Young. Cast aside the young talent we've already developed in Chuck Clark. And obviously just forget about DeShon Elliot.

Wacky. 

I don't get it if Packers fans want to defend the pick. Savage has very high upside as a versatile player on almost any defense. The Eagles could also be mentioned as a team who could be interested in savage, Colts as well. There was a reason for a trade up if that was the guy they really wanted.