2019 NFL Draft: Day 3 - Rounds 4, 5, 6, & 7

gopherwrestler

1 minute ago, vikingsrule said:

I'm more optimistic with Elflein at LG than Kline at RG. 

I am considerably more optimistic about Kline than Elflein myself, but agree with your point that the team needs another guy to compete with these two.

I understand the reason for optimism that Elflein might not be so terrible this year but that optimism isn't something that I believe the team should be considering when looking for a starter.  Developmental guys like that are great backups. Counting on that development for a starter is pure foolishness.

Personally, I still have Elflein as the starting center and not terribly happy about that.  I believe Bradbury will displace him, but I wouldn't be moving Elflein until Bradbury proves that he can beat out Elflein -- a low bar no doubt.

That should happen. Then I have Elflein at the bottom of the guard depth chart trying to prove he is better than the guys the team already has there. I would put him even below Dozier and Isidora to start -- and based on what we've seen from Isidora I wouldn't have him on the final roster for the team if he doesn't show significant improvement himself this offseason.

9 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

You're more confident in Kline than most. I'd like to find his replacement this year to avoid that $6m cap hit, which I question if he is truly worth it. 

Ideally, MN would land Ford or Risner at 50 to push to start at OG immediately. Basically play the best two of three between Elflein, Kline and another quality rookie. 

I'm more optimistic with Elflein at LG than Kline at RG. 

You're not avoiding the cap hit this year or next, regardless. He's going to count at least 4.667M against the cap next year.

11 minutes ago, Klomp said:

At WR, are you guys looking more for an outside guy or a slot?

I’m looking for a speed guy. I would like a guy who can scare and stretch defenses. Now, if that’s a slot guy, that’s great, if not, that’s ok too. 

I like Beebe in the slot due to his short area quickness and intelligence, but that should not  preclude us from taking slot type of receiver. 

6 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

and based on what we've seen from Isidora I wouldn't have him on the final roster for the team if he doesn't show significant improvement himself this offseason.

Jeez! What's the hate for? He was a 6th round pick who has improved every year and played well in pre-season and relief duty. Seems to be every bit a quality backup (which is what should be expected from a 6th round pick)

6 minutes ago, Dolmonite26 said:

For those with more knowledge than I: what options are still available at 3T? Any immediate contributors or are we looking mostly at developmental players?

I still like Omenihu as a fit at 3T in Zimmer's defense in the 2nd, if available.  In the 3rd or 4th, there should be guys like Daniel Wise and Gerald Willis, but they'd be more developmental.  At NT (potential successor for Linval), fits for the Vikings would be Renell Wren and Khalen Saunders.  

15 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

I am considerably more optimistic about Kline than Elflein myself, but agree with your point that the team needs another guy to compete with these two.

Kline is a legitimate NFL starting guard. There's no need at RG. 

Elflein looks like a bust. He's not a good athlete. Maybe he'll turn his career around moving to guard but I wouldn't bet on it. They need someone to compete with Elflein, and hopefully beat him out even this year at LG. 

I understand the reason for optimism that Elflein might not be so terrible this year but that optimism isn't something that I believe the team should be considering when looking for a starter.  Developmental guys like that are great backups. Counting on that development for a starter is pure foolishness.

Day 2 IOL aren't typically "developmental guys", they're typically expected to start as rookies. Very few teams have the luxury of drafting IOL on round 2 who aren't a significant upgrade on their veterans at the position. Teams that wouldn't consider starting a rookie IOL (because their vets are solid, healthy, etc) don't typically draft IOL until the later rounds.

Developmental IOL is a day 3 thing, like Sullivan, Fusco, Isidora, or the entire Packers OL.  

Personally, I still have Elflein as the starting center and not terribly happy about that.  I believe Bradbury will displace him, but I wouldn't be moving Elflein until Bradbury proves that he can beat out Elflein -- a low bar no doubt.

Elflein lost his job yesterday. If Bradbury is healthy, he's starting week one at C. He's a much better prospect than Elflein ever was, and Elflein has regressed in the NFL. 

That should happen. Then I have Elflein at the bottom of the guard depth chart trying to prove he is better than the guys the team already has there. I would put him even below Dozier and Isidora to start -- and based on what we've seen from Isidora I wouldn't have him on the final roster for the team if he doesn't show significant improvement himself this offseason.

Isidora has been fine as a depth option. He's a "developmental guy" so this is the year (his 3rd season) where you'd like to see him improve to the point that he earns consideration as a starter. I guess he could regress and get cut but even at his 2018 level of play he's a solid option for a OL7 or OL8, backing up both guard spots. 

11 minutes ago, marshpit23 said:

I like Isabella. Serious question: how similar is he to Beebe? 

Can’t find much info on Beebe, but from what I found, he’s not the athlete Isabella is. Didn’t realize Isabella ran a 4.31 40 and was high school state champion sprinter. He also has elite quickness, is tough and intelligent. 

15 minutes ago, marshpit23 said:

Can’t find much info on Beebe, but from what I found, he’s not the athlete Isabella is. Didn’t realize Isabella ran a 4.31 40 and was high school state champion sprinter. He also has elite quickness, is tough and intelligent. 

I just spent the last couple seconds typing "Danny Isodora does NOT run a 4.31. What the hell are you smoking?"

(I was confused after the o-line discussion)

Archived