2019 Draft Weekend Discussion!

RaidersAreOne

I want to see high potential round one with a little more risk than usual when you have 3 1st round picks.  Make the smart easy choices 2-4 where players are sliding.  Rounds 5-7 you can have some boom or bust players.  Some character issues, workout warriors, or the guys that just know how to play the game.  Maybe Mayock wanted to play it safe and get his feet under him as a 1st timer or maybe Gruden has to much influence.  I do not trust Gruden with drafting or developing players.  Just go back and see how many Pro Bowlers we drafted with him here.  A kicker, Punter, and C-Wood and those all looked like Al Davis picks.  C-Wood was about as easy a choice as Q and if you draft a K in the first he better be special.  Nobody dislikes Ferrell but nobody likes Ferrell where he was drafted.  It looked like a very good first 3 rounds for a team that was drafting in the teens and that does mean Jacobs in the 2nd and Abram in the 3rd.

Staff gets an A+ from me...

Ferrell isn't flashy but he's Charles Johnson 2.0 imo and I'm more than happy with that. Allen's juice might be nice but we'd be getting gashed on outside runs with 2 undersized pass rushers at DE and our LB corps lack of speed. We needed a base end who can play the run and rush the passer. He'll never be a sack artist but 6-10 sacks a year coupled with excellent run defense will be really nice. No reason why Hurst should ever play DE this season as well. Get another situational guy to rotate with Key on the weak side and our D-line is pretty well set imo.

Jacobs was a no brainer that everyone saw coming. Instant starter and upgrade for our offense. I'd still like to see us resign Martin for early down depth.

Abrams offers a nice skillset with alot of versatility. Hes similar to Joyner but a little bigger and a harder hitter. If we can get them both on the field in some cover 3 looks with KoJo we could really mixup disguising our coverages in the secondary.

For day 2, I'm torn between sitting tight and taking CB Greedy Williams or trading back to get an extra pick or 2 and grab LB Blake Cashman to add some speed to our LBs. 

Day 3 we add depth/competition on offense, maybe OG and TE in the 4th and 5th.

7 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

Ok, so when Oliver and Allen are making ProBowls and being the game changers they have a history of being, Montez Sweat is running down Mahomes, other DB's like Baker and Rapp are outshining Abram's somewhat limited skill set, and we miss out on guys taken in the 2nd and 3rd that we could have collected picks for by trading down and holding off on Jacobs and Abram, I'll make sure to pack you an extra set of panties since your's are clearly pre-soiled. SMH. 

Most likely one of them is going to be a bust.

34 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

I think it's pretty clear Mayock took the conservative route for his first round ever. 

No doubt. I think there were a number of sources who said that he would play safe. He even said in a presser that he is more conservative than JG. Honestly, can't really blame him given the circumstances.

The only thing that will be difficult to take is if Oliver, White and to a lesser extent (due to scheme fit) Allen ball out early. That will test my understanding of playing it safe.

3 minutes ago, daineraider said:

I wish Mayock would have gone Sweat at 24 and Jacobs at 27.  I would have felt much better about the Ferrell pick knowing we had him on one side and Sweat on the other.  

I would have preferred that too honestly, but that's tough to say if Jacobs would be at #27 or not. It's possible we get jumped for him like we did for Sweat.

Just now, RaidersAreOne said:

I would have preferred that too honestly, but that's tough to say if Jacobs would be at #27 or not. It's possible we get jumped for him like we did for Sweat.

Hindsight doesn’t work with the draft because so many scenarios can happen, but I would have taken Sweat and hoped for Jacobs at 27(I’m guessing he would have been there).  There were several good safeties still on the board and I would have taken one at 35.  Draft position aside, I like our picks.  I would have gone a different route, but I’m not as upset as I was last year or 12 of the last 15 years.

Archived