2019 Draft Weekend Discussion!

RaidersAreOne

Im disappointed with all the picks but not flabbergasted like I was last year with the great trio of Kolton Miller/PJ Hall/Brandon Parker.

The real issue is that year after year we have no idea how to work the draft board.  

We lock onto players and positions then freak out and pick them regardless of the value.  We clearly wanted Ferrell but we likely could've gotten him 10 picks later and just took him at 4 anyways.  We clearly locked onto Jacobs but instead of taking the better value of Sweat at 24 and waiting on Jacobs until 27 we freak out and draft Jacobs at 24 and lose out on Sweat.  My issue isn't even with talent evaluation as I think Mayock knows how to evaluate talent but we have no idea how to use the draft board and find value. Ugh.

8 minutes ago, SimonGruber said:

More concerned of him covering TEs And making plays on the ball aren’t the days of enforcer safety’s kinda over ? 

Meh, I don't doubt he can cover a TE pretty well. Personally, I would have rather nabbed Rapp. Either way, I think both would have wound/will wind up available at 35. 

There were better uses for the pick. Same with the Jacobs pick. 

4 minutes ago, Trojan said:

To show that they weren't combine hype nonsense risers when I compared to his final top 100 prospects list lol?

You don't think athletic testing matters? You don't think guys like Jeremiah know how to properly factor that in?

5 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

Um? Sure? Good comeback bro. 

I didn't say I hated the Ferrell pick. But it's practically universally acknowledged that 4 was too high for him. When he reaches double digit sacks for a team that had 13 all of last season, sure, I'll be impressed.

Jacobs running for 1000+? He never ran for more than 640 at Alabama. He's hardly been used. He wasn't even their lead RB and we spent a 1st on him.....Sure, I'll be highly impressed when he reaches 1000+ yards. Until then, I'll gladly remain skeptical of his value. Judging by the teams picking afterwards, he more than likely would have still been available later. 

Abrams blowing dudes up? Cool story. Could've still gotten him later. 

Make all the sophomoric jokes you desire, it doesn't negate that all 3 picks were poorly made with better options available each time. Nothing wrong with realizing we could have had what we got AND more. 

You tell me who those better options were that you wanted then lets see how they perform during the season easy.

5 minutes ago, Chwf3rd25 said:

Im disappointed with all the picks but not flabbergasted like I was last year with the great trio of Kolton Miller/PJ Hall/Brandon Parker.

The real issue is that year after year we have no idea how to work the draft board.  

We lock onto players and positions then freak out and pick them regardless of the value.  We clearly wanted Ferrell but we likely could've gotten him 10 picks later and just took him at 4 anyways.  We clearly locked onto Jacobs but instead of taking the better value of Sweat at 24 and waiting on Jacobs until 27 we freak out and draft Jacobs at 24 and lose out on Sweat.  My issue isn't even with talent evaluation as I think Mayock knows how to evaluate talent but we have no idea how to use the draft board and find value. Ugh.

Pretty sure Ferrell would have went 12 to GB over Gary

4 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Jacobs had an early to mid 2nd round grade from most outlets. We traded Mack and Cooper for a RB and back up safety. Disgusting. 

I had Jacobs as a 1st RD pick,  everything I could want in a RB and has low mileage. And as far as I know he was pretty much the top RB prospect in almost every outlets big board.

Archived