QB Daniel Jones selected by Giants @ 1.6

Acgott

After watching highlights I don't dislike the player. He does have a nice arm, is more accurate then Eli, and actually has some nice wheels. It's just the pick we took him at absolutely angers me. Yea I guess they were worried Washington was going to take him before the 17th pick. But so what. If they do they do. You're saying you're committed to Eli for the near future and you aren't going to force a QB pick...then you go out and completely force a QB pick. If they had taken a pass rusher or a stud tackle at 6 and Jones at 17. Ok I'd still be upset about it but not irate. Ideally a pass rusher at 6, stud lineman at 17, and Jones in the 2nd round would have been an excellent draft...

But it is what it is. I was waiting for the final plan to be shown before I judged the OBJ trade. I think I've seen enough now to say DG is not making us a better team. We have so many holes to fill and now don't even have a 2nd rounder. I'll cheer this kid on, and I hope he makes us all eat crow. But man...right now things look bleak...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Shockey1979 said:

After watching highlights I don't dislike the player. He does have a nice arm, is more accurate then Eli, and actually has some nice wheels. It's just the pick we took him at absolutely angers me. Yea I guess they were worried Washington was going to take him before the 17th pick. But so what. If they do they do. You're saying you're committed to Eli for the near future and you aren't going to force a QB pick...then you go out and completely force a QB pick. If they had taken a pass rusher or a stud tackle at 6 and Jones at 17. Ok I'd still be upset about it but not irate. Ideally a pass rusher at 6, stud lineman at 17, and Jones in the 2nd round would have been an excellent draft...

But it is what it is. I was waiting for the final plan to be shown before I judged the OBJ trade. I think I've seen enough now to say DG is not making us a better team. We have so many holes to fill and now don't even have a 2nd rounder. I'll cheer this kid on, and I hope he makes us all eat crow. But man...right now things look bleak...

EXACTLY.

“I love Dan Jones,” Brandt said. “When you watch him and you go back [20] years and watch Peyton Manning, you are watching the same guy. He’s athletic. He doesn’t have a rocket for an arm, but neither did Peyton. Very smart. He gambles on himself. He had an opportunity to have a full scholarship to Princeton. He said, ‘No, I’m better than that. I want to walk on at Duke.’ He completed 60 percent of his passes but they didn’t have any great receivers there to catch the ball. He had an unbelievable workout a month or so ago. A lot of people have really turned to like him.”

Any body wanna bet Gettlemen saw this quote from Gil and climaxed in his pants? 

• Like 1

I'm just happy we finally have a QB that has some wheels. In my lifetime.. I think Hostetler was the only one who could pick up a 1st down with his legs. Eli, Warner, Collins, Simms, Brown, Graham, Kanell, Brunner.. all statues back there xD

Edited by Shockey1979
  • Like 1

Well, Jones checks a lot of boxes for a franchise quarterback. Size, athleticism, intelligence, toughness, character, good mechanics. The production wasn’t great, but he was on a really bad Duke team with terrible receivers and a terrible offensive line. The Giants weren’t the only team interested in Jones. Broncos, Bengals, Redskins and Patriots all liked Jones.

Im an optimist, and I’m excited to see what Jones can do. I think it’s funny how people make draft day judgements about players and state them as facts rather than unsure opinions. I’ve followed the draft long enough to know better.

Dolphins fan here.....I just wanted to drop in and tell you guys how sorry I am that Dave Gettlman is your GM.

I was shocked he passed on a franchise QB last draft, but at least Saquon looks amazing......Now he drafts a second round career clipboard holder at #6 overall.......Then you guys have to watch Haskins go to an NFC East rival.  I’m sincerely sorry!!!  I just can’t believe he screwed up something so perfect.

It appears to me that Gettleman is trying to appease fans by selecting a QB, but also appease Eli by selecting a QB that obviously can’t compete with him.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Shockey1979 said:

I'm just happy we finally have a QB that has some wheels. In my lifetime.. I think Hostetler was the only one who could pick up a 1st down with his legs. Eli, Warner, Collins, Simms, Brown, Graham, Kanell, Brunner.. all statues back there xD

I expect play action roll outs will be common play call with Saquon and Jones in the backfield 

• Like 1

Just now, Gmen said:

I expect play action roll outs will be common play call with Saquon and Jones in the backfield 

I don’t know, but Jones has huge issues IMO.  Poor accuracy, poor arm strength, and I personally don’t see good mechanics from him, which is why his accuracy is so bad.

“It’s early and I reserve the right to change my mind, but Daniel Jones from Duke has Giants written all over him.  He has the athleticism and mobility to roll out of the pocket and make plays with his legs. We’ve seen Shurmur roll Eli out of the pocket with some success even though he’s not mobile.  Imagine the possibilities with Jones.  He’s considered a first round pick, but he’s going to move up the draft board quickly.”

FWIW, I called this back on January 2nd when Jones declared

Went home and watched his Virginia Tech, Clemson, and North Carolina games and fell asleep about a quarter through his Virginia game. It was 2am so I was exhausted, but I wouldn't fall asleep watching Kyler Murray tape.

I don't think I'm a good scout. I know I'm not a good QB scout. But the Giants haven't taken a QB this high since I was about 10 years old, so I'm going to do a multi game breakdown of Jones this weekend. My initial impressions from what I saw in those 3 games were more positive than I thought they would be, but I still have the same concerns about him that I had prior to watching.

Maybe the most important thing I gleaned though is that if Jones really is Gettleman's and more importantly Shurmur's guy, they do actually have a plan going forward for the team. That is at least encouraging. A lot of analytics say that plan isn't going to work, but building a team in the way I think Gettleman and Shurmur are certainly has been working for the Patriots...

3 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

Went home and watched his Virginia Tech, Clemson, and North Carolina games and fell asleep about a quarter through his Virginia game. It was 2am so I was exhausted, but I wouldn't fall asleep watching Kyler Murray tape.

I don't think I'm a good scout. I know I'm not a good QB scout. But the Giants haven't taken a QB this high since I was about 10 years old, so I'm going to do a multi game breakdown of Jones this weekend. My initial impressions from what I saw in those 3 games were more positive than I thought they would be, but I still have the same concerns about him that I had prior to watching.

Maybe the most important thing I gleaned though is that if Jones really is Gettleman's and more importantly Shurmur's guy, they do actually have a plan going forward for the team. That is at least encouraging. A lot of analytics say that plan isn't going to work, but building a team in the way I think Gettleman and Shurmur are certainly has been working for the Patriots...

Where do you find the games?

In short. If Gettleman truly intends on sitting Daniel Jones for 3 years, Jones may never see the field because Gettleman is going to Gettlegone within 2 years and you're new GM is gonna take Trevor Lawrence.