1[12]: Rashan Gary [EDGE; Michigan]

CWood21

Looking at the many posts on this site about Gary, although several posters were not convinced about him pre-draft, the majority seem to be onboard now. I find the degree to which posters have become more positive somewhat unusual (and count me as one of those who has changed their opinion). More common is a fairly embedded opinion, set to either good or bad, but that is not the case here. There are always some enthusiastic fans who will get on board once a guy is drafted, but this degree of turnaround, before even seeing him play for the Packers, is unusual.

I do hope The Thing is wrong about posters here, and they don't rewrite their history. I won't, because my "need to be right" is pretty small (probably a function of being past retirement age).

(PS Just so long as The Thing doesn't turn himself into one of them, we are all good).

Just now, OneTwoSixFive said:

I do hope The Thing is wrong about posters here, and they don't rewrite their history. I won't, because my "need to be right" is pretty small (probably a function of being past retirement age).

(PS Just so long as The Thing doesn't turn himself into one of them, we are all good).

Uh...

12 sacks as a rookie is my prediction right now. 

I'm on record as liking this pick.  Packers don't often pick poor personalities in round one, and the one knock on him seems to be about his personality/effort. 

Man, anybody saying Gary can't play EDGE should watch him play.  I just watched some and it does not look physically possible for someone that big to move that quickly.  He has that ability.

He checks all the boxes for me.

Under 22.
Premium position.
Two first names. 

Those are my first two posts in this thread. 

I also stated several times that if the Packers like his personality and his drive, Gary was the one player I wanted most after Bosa/Oliver throughout the draft discussion thread. 

I literally did want us to draft Gary all along with the caveat that the Packers trust his personality and his drive, and clearly they did, so clearly I wanted him all along.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Uh...

Those are my first two posts in this thread. 

I also stated several times that if the Packers like his personality and his drive, Gary was the one player I wanted most after Bosa/Oliver throughout the draft discussion thread. 

I literally did want us to draft Gary all along with the caveat that the Packers trust his personality and his drive, and clearly they did, so clearly I wanted him all along.

Well tell AG that at 6'5" 280 lbs he is stiff as a board hahaha.

TC this year is going to have a huge buzz with our drafted players, FA players and new coach wow. Can't wait.

Gary being a rotation player and not a starter, I think that’s going to highlight his strengths right now. He’s such a powerful and fast player. His physical gifts are only amplified when he comes in with fresh legs. I expect him to come in and make some WOW plays!

In the long run, I hope pettine sticks around because Gary will benefit from some stability. 

Compared to Perry, Gary is taller, heavier, longer arms, quicker and faster. Gary’s speed is unprecedented at his size. 

We’ll see if he can put it all together but even if he doesn’t he’s gonna consistently push the pocket and get some sacks just off of pure speed. 

1 hour ago, boratt said:

Compared to Perry, Gary is taller, heavier, longer arms, quicker and faster. Gary’s speed is unprecedented at his size. 

We’ll see if he can put it all together but even if he doesn’t he’s gonna consistently push the pocket and get some sacks just off of pure speed. 

I think he and Z. Smith are going to rush from the inside a lot. Those two inside in sure passing downs are going to be tough to deal with. 

14 hours ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

Would Nick Perry and a more agile Jadeveon Clowney, be reasonable floor/ceiling projections for Gary ?

NO, a guy with an 11 sack season is not a Floor for anybody. The floor is Vernon Gholston

I less object to the Clowney comparison. And a more agile Jadeveon Clowney that stays healthy might be the best defender of all time.

18 hours ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

Looking at the many posts on this site about Gary, although several posters were not convinced about him pre-draft, the majority seem to be onboard now. I find the degree to which posters have become more positive somewhat unusual (and count me as one of those who has changed their opinion). More common is a fairly embedded opinion, set to either good or bad, but that is not the case here. There are always some enthusiastic fans who will get on board once a guy is drafted, but this degree of turnaround, before even seeing him play for the Packers, is unusual.

I don't think the turnaround is unusual. People are always pretty quick to talk themselves into draft picks.

Gary is more like Cam Jordan athletically, IMO, and it's worth noting that Jordan did not hit his stride until year three. I hope Packer fans exercise patience (even if I know better) because Jordan is one hell of a player now, but did not make much impact right away.

7 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

NO, a guy with an 11 sack season is not a Floor for anybody. The floor is Vernon Gholston

I less object to the Clowney comparison. And a more agile Jadeveon Clowney that stays healthy might be the best defender of all time.

You see Gholston? It's been awhile and I never really dug into that living comic book character, but my memory of him was he was just overbuilt and his game didn't play because he had no ability to move laterally in the slightest. Gary has stiff hips and can't turn the corner at all, but his change of direction looks much better. Could definitely be misremembering Gholston though. 

7 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Certainly the floor is less than 11 sacks per season.  :)  But that was clearly an outlier career-year for Perry.  In 7 seasons, Perry's median was 3.5 sacks, and he averaged 4.5 sacks.  Conceptually, the perception of Perry is as a strong set-the-edge run defender who picked up some persistence effort-based sacks now and then, enough to median 3.5 and average 4.5 sacks per season.  But not an impact sackster. 

I think that profile is exactly the floor concept for a healthy Gary.  A good, strong, set-the-edge run-defender who will run into some sacks here and there.  I don't believe in the boom-or-bust perspective; I believe he's pretty safe (if healthy) for that kind of career at worst, if healthy.  Obviously it's the National Injury League, so nobody is injury-safe; every guy is at risk of injury-bust.  (And if anything his injury-risk is even higher than for the normal NFL guy.)   While I think his "bust" potential (apart from injury) has been overblown, I admit I also think his "boom" potential is a little inflated, too?  The odds that he becomes a consistent sack-star pressure guy, one that OC's are terrified of and try all kinds of unusual workarounds to block, I don't think that's very likely.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, craig said:

Certainly the floor is less than 11 sacks per season.  :)  But that was clearly an outlier career-year for Perry.  In 7 seasons, Perry's median was 3.5 sacks, and he averaged 4.5 sacks.  Conceptually, the perception of Perry is as a strong set-the-edge run defender who picked up some persistence effort-based sacks now and then, enough to median 3.5 and average 4.5 sacks per season.  But not an impact sackster. 

I think that profile is exactly the floor concept for a healthy Gary.  A good, strong, set-the-edge run-defender who will run into some sacks here and there.  I don't believe in the boom-or-bust perspective; I believe he's pretty safe (if healthy) for that kind of career at worst, if healthy.  Obviously it's the National Injury League, so nobody is injury-safe; every guy is at risk of injury-bust.  (And if anything his injury-risk is even higher than for the normal NFL guy.)   While I think his "bust" potential (apart from injury) has been overblown, I admit I also think his "boom" potential is a little inflated, too?  The odds that he becomes a consistent sack-star pressure guy, one that OC's are terrified of and try all kinds of unusual workarounds to block, I don't think that's very likely.  

So we're going to assume health for Gary when we saw how it limited Perrys career? The guy had what 19 sacks over two seasons? When healthy, dude was an above average starter. He just wasn't consistently healthy.