1[12]: Rashan Gary [EDGE; Michigan]

CWood21

4 minutes ago, Greg C. said:

Serious question: Are there other college football programs that focus more on developing players' skills rather than winning games? 

It's not necessarily a trade off. Some schools just invest more into developing skillsets in their players that translate better to the professional game, because they see that as an avenue to get better recruits, win games, etc. 

21 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Tell you what, if I'm a top HS DL, last school I'm going to is Michigan. Sad how raw he came out when he was a 2 year starter and had a RS year.

They totally used him to win games and have a better defense without giving a damn about his personal development.

They were pretty happy just to have him take on blocks every game. It's amazing he affected games like he did.

35 minutes ago, deathstar said:

They were pretty happy just to have him take on blocks every game. It's amazing he affected games like he did.

I assume you mean double team blocks, but even at that 100% of elite rushers faced the same thing. Fans can sugar coat this thing if they choose, but the same concerns some of us had on draft day, still exist today. Preseason game, the locker room, the parking lot, for the love of God put up any kind of stat already. At this point, if he lets me know I'll be there if he wants to tackle a blue hair in the Geritol section of the grocery store. Yes, I'll take 3 preseason sacks vs 0. If Gary had 5 preseason sacks, no fan would be discounting them as inconsequential. But since he has zero, they don't mean anything ? Please.

Kenny Clark was a young project taken at pick 27. This guy was taken at 12 !! Fans can keep explaining this one away so they sleep better at night, but no matter how you slice it, thus far, Gary is a disappointment to say the least. I can't see how the start of the regular season will change that. Assuming he gets any snaps, that is. I have a feeling he is gonna disappear from the lineup

Edited by cannondale

17 minutes ago, cannondale said:

I assume you mean double team blocks, but even at that 100% of elite rushers faced the same thing. Fans can sugar coat this thing if they choose, but the same concerns some of us had on draft day, still exist today. Preseason game, the locker room, the parking lot, for the love of God put up any kind of stat already. At this point, if he lets me know I'll be there if he wants to tackle a blue hair in the Geritol section of the grocery store. Yes, I'll take 3 preseason sacks vs 0. If Gary had 5 preseason sacks, no fan would be discounting them as inconsequential. But since he has zero, they don't mean anything ? Please.

Kenny Clark was a young project taken at pick 27. This guy was taken at 12 !! Fans can keep explaining this one away so they sleep better at night, but no matter how you slice it, thus far, Gary is a disappointment to say the least. I can't see how the start of the regular season will change that. Assuming he gets any snaps, that is. I have a feeling he is gonna disappear from the lineup

It's pretty timely for anyone who had concerns on draft day to feel validated, 3 preseason games into this guy's career. What would it take for your concerns to be eased?

34 minutes ago, cannondale said:

Cannon, get on your bike a ride off your anxiety.  At this point in his rookie year Kenny Clark was thought of the same way.  There were much more highly thought of DTs who were still on the board and TT passed them up.  Gary should of went to the Giants earlier.  He is just what they like in a DE.  He is here now and he hasn't played a single down in the NFL that counts yet.  I'm thinking that his coaches understand his shortcomings and are on the case.  He definitely has the tools and will probably grow into his position much like Clark has blossomed into his.  Both were very young DL with the physical attributes. 

I guess I'm thinking it's pretty damn early to write him off.

1 hour ago, cannondale said:

No one who knew Gary as a prospect is overly surprised. We took a raw player with amazing gifts at 12. He wasn't going to come in here and light the world on fire without some strong development in rapid time from our coaching staff.

No one is vindicating anything. He had a subpar preseason, but if you know Gary as a prospect then you aren't writing him off yet. The argument can be made you shouldn't take a project at 12, but we did, so here we are.

13 minutes ago, deathstar said:

Solid pass rush rep here:

That's how he's going to have to win on the outside. Slap the hands down and burn him with speed. When you use power with a single arm stab, it puts a lot of torque on your hips and the tight wound guys will never bend enough to get home. That's going to be his bread and butter speed move. Swat the hands and hit the jets.