2[44]: Elgton Jenkins [OC; Miss State]

Packerraymond

2 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Taylor is the definition of average and we are moving to a system where he might be slightly below average.

New theory: Packers cut Taylor before 2020 season and use his $4.7m savings and put it towards resigning Bulaga after a healthy year. 2020 starting OLine is Bakh-Jenkins-Linsley-Turner-Bulaga

Seems doubtful. Bulaga could barely hold himself together in his youth. I don't think that will get any better in his 30's. Even for healthy guys, getting a 3rd contract is incredibly rare. 

7 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Taylor is the definition of average and we are moving to a system where he might be slightly below average.

New theory: Packers cut Taylor before 2020 season and use his $4.7m savings and put it towards resigning Bulaga after a healthy year. 2020 starting OLine is Bakh-Jenkins-Linsley-Turner-Bulaga

Bulaga will turn 31 before 2020 and has injury concerns.  I would bet against us resigning him.  Not sure I would want us to.  

I would love a left side of the OL that goes Bakh-Elgton-Linsley.  But I think that we will need to get a new RG and RT soon.  

7 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

Bulaga will turn 31 before 2020 and has injury concerns.  I would bet against us resigning him.  Not sure I would want us to.  

I would love a left side of the OL that goes Bakh-Elgton-Linsley.  But I think that we will need to get a new RG and RT soon.  

Turner?

• Like 1

I am very comfortable with the pick.  Sounds like a good player.  Totally think we needed OL.  Yes, of course I expected an OT who could eventually play guard.  And I'm not sold on Turner being a backup tackle, or a future Bulaga replacement.  

But we've been subbing in crummy stop-gap linemen so often, and so many injuries.  If Jenkins is good, there will be plenty of opportunity to put him to good use, and have a lot more insurance.  

Just now, smetana34 said:

Turner?

Not a huge fan.  I think he is a good utility-type OL who can back up multiple spots, but I don't see him as a long term starter.  

He's like that guy in baseball who can play 6 positions pretty well and is great to give guys a rest day, but you never want to have him in the starting 9 everyday.  

1 minute ago, Ragnarok said:

Not a huge fan.  I think he is a good utility-type OL who can back up multiple spots, but I don't see him as a long term starter.  

He's like that guy in baseball who can play 6 positions pretty well and is great to give guys a rest day, but you never want to have him in the starting 9 everyday.  

You don't give a guy like that a big contract. He's definitely in the long term plans. Where at remains to be seen

• Like 1

Just now, Ragnarok said:

Stahp. 

He's being paid as a Top 20 Guard and he's the first OL signed during the MLF era. 

He's not going be a backup. 

Just now, smetana34 said:

You don't give a guy like that a big contract. He's definitely in the long term plans. Where at remains to be seen

You do if you screw up.  That was our one FA signing I didn't like.  What I described is who I think Turner is...so I think we overpaid.  

Just now, Ragnarok said:

You do if you screw up.  That was our one FA signing I didn't like.  What I described is who I think Turner is...so I think we overpaid.  

He's impossible to cut until at least 2021. 

He'll be starter until then barring injury. 

1 minute ago, Cadmus said:

Stahp. 

He's being paid as a Top 20 Guard and he's the first OL signed during the MLF era. 

He's not going be a backup. 

He will be if he gets beat out.  Let's not act like we signed some multiyear stud starter.  This was a guy who wasn't a starter to begin last season in Denver after bouncing around the league and only got a starting job cause the Denver OL has injury issues.  

Maybe he does become a long term fix for us at OG.  I personally doubt it.  

Although, he will still probably be better than Taylor.

Regardless, I think Elgton will be our best OG next year.  Bottom line.

3 minutes ago, Cadmus said:

He's impossible to cut until at least 2021. 

He'll be starter until then barring injury. 

Unable to cut and not starting are two different things.  If Taylor and Elgton are better than Turner, they will start.  Regardless of what Turner is paid or whether we can cut him.

You would have to be a horrifyingly incompetent team to start a lesser guy simply because you are paying him more.

• Like 1

Just now, Ragnarok said:

He will be if he gets beat out.  Let's not act like we signed some multiyear stud starter.  This was a guy who wasn't a starter to begin last season in Denver after bouncing around the league and only got a starting job cause the Denver OL has injury issues.  

Maybe he does become a long term fix for us at OG.  I personally doubt it.  

Although, he will still probably be better than Taylor.

Regardless, I think Elgton will be our best OG next year.  Bottom line.

You seem a little lost on Turner. 

I doubt you've watched him play. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ragnarok said:

Unable to cut and not starting are two different things.  If Taylor and Elgton are better than Turner, they will start.  Regardless of what Turner is paid or whether we can cut him.

You would have to be a horrifyingly incompetent team to start a lesser guy simply because you are paying him more.

Taylor is the one you cut. 

Just look at the contracts. 

It's about the team, you don't keep Taylor--bench Turner, for Jenkins and Taylor in 2020-- and make the team worse. 

4 minutes ago, Cadmus said:

You seem a little lost on Turner. 

I doubt you've watched him play. 

Yes, I have watched him play.

We can disagree about how good a player can be.  But don't pull the lazy 'oh, you just haven't watched him' card.  We are all big football nerds here and we generally know what we are talking about.  I have watched him.  He stepped in solidly in Denver last year, but I'm not convinced.  I think he will end up being a poor signing.  I hope I'm wrong and that he becomes a late-bloomer pro-bowl caliber OG.  That would be lovely.

And it's not like I was wrong about him bouncing around the league before actually playing last year.  He couldn't earn a starting job for the Dolphins who had horrifying OG play at the time(and still do) and only got to play last year due to injury on a not great OL.  That does not inspire confidence.

I'm happy to have a fun discussion over a guy or signing.  I actually love it.  But if you try to assume I haven't watched a guy again, I'll just assume you're here to troll and cause problems.  Give me some valid reasons behind your argument.  At least a tiny bit more beyond "oh I'm right cause I'm gonna say you haven't watched him".  That is a child's tactic.  I assume you aren't a child.

1 minute ago, Cadmus said:

Taylor is the one you cut. 

Just look at the contracts. 

It's about the team, you don't keep Taylor--bench Turner, for Jenkins and Taylor in 2020-- and make the team worse. 

You play the two best players.  That simple.  I don't care if they had paid Turner $20 mil a year.  If he isn't one of the 5 best OL, he shouldn't be starting.  That simple.  

If Taylor is better than Turner, you don't cut him because he is cheaper and force start the expensive guy.  

But your comment didn't even respond to my point.  I was saying that just because you might not be able to cut Turner...that doesn't mean you have to start him.  If he gets beat out, then he gets beat out.  He is the backup.  How much he is paid is irrelevant.  If you have to keep him as the utility OL until you can cut him, that's what you do.  Starting a worse player that you mistakenly paid more money makes no sense.  Admit your mistake and start the better, cheaper guy.

Maybe Turner and Elgton are the two best guys.  Maybe Taylor and Elgton.  But I don't think it'll be Turner and Taylor.  Elgton is too good and I don't have a lot of faith in either of the established guys.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

Yes, I have watched him play.

How much he is paid is irrelevant.  

Many people here didn't watch him play last year, that's why I asked. No need to get super defensive. 

I think you misunderstand how you build a team in the modern NFL. 

• Like 1