2[44]: Elgton Jenkins [OC; Miss State]

Packerraymond

Just now, Cadmus said:

Many people here didn't watch him play last year, that's why I asked. No need to get super defensive. 

I think you misunderstand how you build a team in the modern NFL. 

I don't get defensive, I just respond in kind.

I would disagree.  

1 hour ago, Fox_NFLs_GG said:

Yeah and no one talented to back them up besides interior linemen.

Spriggs is about average as a 3rd tackle.  

And if not Turner can kick to RT and Taylor can start at Guard again.

we have 

Bakt,Jenkins,Lindsey,Turner,Bulaga

McCrary,Tayor,Madison,Spriggs

That’s the best we have had since Clifton, Tausher ,Wells, Sutton Lang days.

Edited by fattlipp

Listening to Gute, this is a big, strong, ready to play with the big guys on day one player. As you would hope with a high 2nd round interior lineman. 

He could probably start on day one, but I’d almost rather he wait till Bulaga gets injured to step in and slide turner over. 

• Like 1

Just remember the Gutekunst mantra when interviewed yesterday. Versatility was one of the most-used key words.

Elgton is VERY versatile and has the added benefit of being strong enough to start quickly. He is very football smart as well. Bengals Billy Price was his comp, and he went in round one at pick 21. His high RAS score fits with what the Packers love these days, and his movement skills are a great fit for the Packers scheme.

I would have liked A.J.Brown, as a powerfully built inside receiver at #44, and the Packers could have taken another good safety instead, but Elgton was a rock solid pick and should bring a high level of play at multiple spots. Nice to see a pick on the offensive side of the ball.

Good point by @cannondale  on Packers QB coach Getsy having been OC at Miss St. with Elgton.

• Like 2

The TC battle between Jenkins, Taylor, and maybe Madison should be one of the more interesting battles in camp.  At the very least, the runner-up in that battle will hopefully be a competent reserve on the interior.  I do like that Jenkins more than held up in a conference as competitive as the SEC, and was practicing regularly against a talent like Simmons.

I have to assume Turner will be the other starting G this season, and Gute likely has him penciled in for 2020 as well.  All bets are probably off after that. Two years is enough time for GB for find the next guy.

35 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

The TC battle between Jenkins, Taylor, and maybe Madison should be one of the more interesting battles in camp.  At the very least, the runner-up in that battle will hopefully be a competent reserve on the interior.  I do like that Jenkins more than held up in a conference as competitive as the SEC, and was practicing regularly against a talent like Simmons.

I have to assume Turner will be the other starting G this season, and Gute likely has him penciled in for 2020 as well.  All bets are probably off after that. Two years is enough time for GB for find the next guy.

Throw in Siragusa too. If Jenkins and Turner are the starters, Taylor, Madison, and Siragusa battle it out for two IOL backup spots. I doubt Taylor is mobile enough to fit the scheme. Same problem for McCray and Patrick. Not sure about Pankey and Light. One of them will make the team as a backup T along with Spriggs, probably Light. As usual, I'm probably wrong. 

13 hours ago, skibrett15 said:

I think if you think he can be a really solid RT, this is a great pick.  If he's gonna be an IOL, you want him to be a 10 year starter, otherwise it's kind of a meh pick.  

The downside is there, but someone will get injured on the OL sooner than later and I think you're glad to have a real strong prospect as your option instead of spriggs.

Because being a really solid RT is easier than being a really solid G.

10 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

which was the point of the post.  I like the pick a lot less if they don't plan to work him at RT

I will disagree with this.

If GB thinks that Jenkins is best suited for year 1 to compete and play 1 of the OG spots, that is where I would like him to get reps.  Very unlikely that Jenkins is beating out Bulaga and would also have to jump ahead of Spriggs to be the back up RT.  Let Jenkins get used to the NFL game where he is most comfortable and has the best chance to succeed.  

Just now, squire12 said:

I will disagree with this.

If GB thinks that Jenkins is best suited for year 1 to compete and play 1 of the OG spots, that is where I would like him to get reps.  Very unlikely that Jenkins is beating out Bulaga and would also have to jump ahead of Spriggs to be the back up RT.  Let Jenkins get used to the NFL game where he is most comfortable and has the best chance to succeed.  

I'm mostly thinking of, what do you spend pick 44 on, an OG/C or a RT? I like the pick more if he's a RT.  I don't know anything about the player so much.

I would prefer they had grabbed one of the OT on the board at 44 over a player who is gonna be an OG/C only.

Seems like after risner/taylor/Ford went off the board, you gotta go for the next best thing.  I'm just not sure about going for an OG in the high 2nd round.  Prefer to build around average mid-rounder guards than to invest higher picks there.

4 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

I'm mostly thinking of, what do you spend pick 44 on, an OG/C or a RT? I like the pick more if he's a RT.  I don't know anything about the player so much.

I would prefer they had grabbed one of the OT on the board at 44 over a player who is gonna be an OG/C only.

Seems like after risner/taylor/Ford went off the board, you gotta go for the next best thing.  I'm just not sure about going for an OG in the high 2nd round.  Prefer to build around average mid-rounder guards than to invest higher picks there.

I will agree with that in a general sense for positional value.  Given what is in the OL room currently

2019:   Bahk  --  (Taylor/Jenkins) --  Linsley -- (Turner /Jenkins) --  Bulaga       

Jenkins competes at the OG spots for 2019, where he is likely to be best suited early on.

2020:  Bahk -- ????  -- Linsley  -- Turner  -- ????

If you feel Jenkins has a chance to be a plus RT, you can give him that shot if GB does not bring Bulaga or Spriggs back for 2020.  If Jenkins is a plus starter at 1 of the OG spots, then maybe you don't consider moving him from there and you pursue a RT via another avenue.  

15 hours ago, Gopackgonerd said:

I mean they aren't wrong ;)

Yeah, but it's pretty telling that they've been screaming "protect Rodgers" all year and griping when they do just that.

Yeah, I get that they missed out on some sick value for Brown and Metcalf and I can kinda understand the frustration with that, but this pick totally makes sense in the grand scheme of things. Besides, it's not like they were likely to get any significant number of targets in year one, that's not how Rodg operates. 

1 hour ago, skibrett15 said:

which was the point of the post.  I like the pick a lot less if they don't plan to work him at RT

I disagree heartily, which is why I was being sarcastic. Way easier to play Guard.

Edited by HyponGrey