2[44]: Elgton Jenkins [OC; Miss State]

Packerraymond

1 minute ago, HyponGrey said:

I disagree heartily, which is why I was being sarcastic. Way easier to play Guard.

I know you are being sarcastic.  Of course OT is harder than OG, it's why it's worth more...

It's why if he's a viable OT he's a better player than just a pure OG.  I don't know carp about this player other than what I've read recently.  Seems like a really flexible player who theoretically can play OT.  If he can develop into the Bulaga replacement, this is a great pick.  If he's a solid guard for his rookie deal, he's a solid pick.  If he's just a middling replacement level guard, then it's a pretty bad pick.

For the above reasons, I would like to see them explore the OT option.

57 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

I know you are being sarcastic.  Of course OT is harder than OG, it's why it's worth more...

It's why if he's a viable OT he's a better player than just a pure OG.  I don't know carp about this player other than what I've read recently.  Seems like a really flexible player who theoretically can play OT.  If he can develop into the Bulaga replacement, this is a great pick.  If he's a solid guard for his rookie deal, he's a solid pick.  If he's just a middling replacement level guard, then it's a pretty bad pick.

For the above reasons, I would like to see them explore the OT option.

If he or any player is a middling replacement level player at their position it is a bad pick.  

GB previously had a history of putting OL players at positions outside of their "best" position and it did not help their development.  

1 hour ago, skibrett15 said:

I'm mostly thinking of, what do you spend pick 44 on, an OG/C or a RT? I like the pick more if he's a RT.  I don't know anything about the player so much.

I would prefer they had grabbed one of the OT on the board at 44 over a player who is gonna be an OG/C only.

Seems like after risner/taylor/Ford went off the board, you gotta go for the next best thing.  I'm just not sure about going for an OG in the high 2nd round.  Prefer to build around average mid-rounder guards than to invest higher picks there.

I'm going to disagree with the idea that it makes sense to select a lesser RT prospect just so you can say the guy might play RT some day.  If the decision is between a solid G/C prospect vs a lesser RT prospect, I want the G/C every time.  If your issue is more that you didn't like seeing pick #44 spent on the interior OL, I don't have any real disagreement with that.  It's exactly how I felt when then pick was made.

• Like 1

My view on Elgton now that I've had a chance to take a proper look at him.

Anchor is real. Like punching a brick wall. Looks like an NFL OL. Stays on top of his feet. Not much of a hand fighter, hands shoot from the hips to outside of body.  Once the hands are on he doesn't look to clean himself off preferring to just outmuscle the comp. Feet will stop, looking for a stale mate more than a bully. Pad level is inconsistent. Can be had laterally.

In short you won't be going through this man, but you can get around him. Don't see an NFL tackle at all. Needs some tech work but I see him beating out Lane pretty quick. Kinda helps on the contract vs Linsley down the road.

Edited by HighCalebR

20 hours ago, badgers0821 said:

Man, a lot of fans on here are so pessimistic.  Hate TT, hate Gute, hate Murphy...just because they didn’t pick the player YOU wanted or YOU thought they should doesn’t mean it’s a bad pick.  Regardless of what we all think these guys know much more about this team than anyone on here ever could.  Just relax.

After a couple decades of burying,my head in draft guides and going "Man, I LOVE this player, I hope GB picks him!", actually wiriting down access to these comments, and being able,to honestly look back.....

I'd be a terrible GM.

3 hours ago, Mazrimiv said:

If your issue is more that you didn't like seeing pick #44 spent on the interior OL, I don't have any real disagreement with that.  It's exactly how I felt when then pick was made.

yes, next best thing meaning WR/TE/ other offensive position

23 hours ago, Toddfather said:

I still think Bulaga can get another contract. Especially if he eventually moves to guard. Hes still only 30... Oh course it comes down to $$$... 

If Bulaga gets another contract, it's not coming from Green Bay.  We've only had 2 players see 3rd contracts in Green Bay: Aaron Rodgers and Jordy Nelson.  And Nelson didn't even finish his 3rd contract.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mazrimiv said:

I'm going to disagree with the idea that it makes sense to select a lesser RT prospect just so you can say the guy might play RT some day.  If the decision is between a solid G/C prospect vs a lesser RT prospect, I want the G/C every time.  If your issue is more that you didn't like seeing pick #44 spent on the interior OL, I don't have any real disagreement with that.  It's exactly how I felt when then pick was made.

I would make the assumption that they'll give him reps at just about everywhere but LT, but he's an IOL for me all the way.  He's going to be beat by more athletic DL.  He's going to push for a starting OG spot.  And we finally have depth on the IOL.

17 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

So my question is "where does the name Elgton" come from?  As far as I can tell, you don't pronounce the 'g' at all, so what is it doing there?

I reject this. The question is whether it's "Elg-ton" or "Elj-ton"

Elgton is a back up Guard this year and could be Linsley's replacement in 2020.  Linsley will cost the Packers $10.5m in 2020, if released the team saves $$8.5m.  Looks like at this moment the Packers have about $24m in cap space in 2020.  Just a possibility, I know and understand Linsley is good.

17 hours ago, CWood21 said:

If Bulaga gets another contract, it's not coming from Green Bay.  We've only had 2 players see 3rd contracts in Green Bay: Aaron Rodgers and Jordy Nelson.  And Nelson didn't even finish his 3rd contract.

There are two other guys currently on our roster on their 3rd contracts with us.