2020 Draft Talk

swede700

43 minutes ago, RpMc said:

This is just incorrect - Hennessy, Lewis, and Cushenberry are among the top RAS athletes for interior lineman in this class; Harris isn't far behind.  Hennessy in particular is one of the best movers on the interior in the draft.

I was going to respond but you beat me to it. Robert Hunt also played RT and has enough movement skills to excel at guard.

26 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

The general success rate of any WR in the 1st round over the last 10 years is a yikes.

this is stolen from the draft forum

Let's look at the last 10 drafts for underclassmen at WR for comparison...

Nelson Agholor
Jonathan Baldwin
Odell Beckham Jr
Kelvin Benjamin
Justin Blackmon
Marquise Brown
Dez Bryant
Corey Coleman
Brandin Cooks
Amari Cooper
Mike Evans
Will Fuller
AJ Green
N'Keal Harry
DeAndre Hopkins
Julio Jones
DJ Moore
Breshad Perriman
John Ross III
Demaryius Thomas
Laquon Treadwell
Sammy Watkins
Mike Williams

Seems the hit rate is still better on juniors as opposed to seniors. 

• Like 1

The more I think about the current state of our oline the more I want the Vikings to spend both 1st rounders on OL. I hope the Vikings will be able to trade back with someone for Ruiz but if we have to take him at 25 its not too much of a reach. This team will not get anywhere close to the Super Bowl unless we first fix this problem that we have ignored for years. It was hard to watch the games vs the Bears, Packers and 49ers were the OL got manhandled. To me OL is top priority for us. 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, AWinfield26 said:

The more I think about the current state of our oline the more I want the Vikings to spend both 1st rounders on OL. I hope the Vikings will be able to trade back with someone for Ruiz but if we have to take him at 25 its not too much of a reach. This team will not get anywhere close to the Super Bowl unless we first fix this problem that we have ignored for years. It was hard to watch the games vs the Bears, Packers and 49ers were the OL got manhandled. To me OL is top priority for us. 

They aren't going to spend two first round picks on offensive lineman.

The argument that they've ignored the offensive line for years is one that comes up a lot, and is not based in reality.  They've spent a first, second, or third round pick on the line the last three years (three picks on the line last year), shelled out contracts for players like Riley Reiff, Mike Remmers, Alex Boone, and Josh Klein while being in on players like Kelechi Osemele and Rick Wagner before they signed elsewhere.

The problem hasn't been asset allocation, it's been the players they've spent the assets on and the changing of offensive line coaches, priorities, and schemes that rely on different types of line players.

Edited by RpMc
  • Like 2

Thoughts on Javon Leake-RB Maryland as a late round pick? I could see him pushing Abdullah off the roster. He's not much of an interior runner despite his listed size, but he has some big time playmaker ability and he was a returner for Maryland with 3 TD's in his career. Think we should dip back 5th round or later to see if if the Terps have another diamond in the rough for us?

32 minutes ago, AWinfield26 said:

I agree 100%. OL should be the top priority. It has been a problem area for many years. I wouldn't want to force the issue so much that I wouldn't consider other things in the first round but if they were able to use those first two picks to address the offensive line it would be great. Any offensive linemen that I considered a top two round talent I would consider at picks 22 and 25. I would only hope to get them via trading back if I was confident another team would not take them in the interim.

All that said, they can't ignore an elite talent at other important positions for a guy they consider a top 50 pick. Odds are, there will not be any elite talents at important positions by pick 22.