2020 Draft Talk

swede700

7 minutes ago, PrplChilPill said:

I could certainly be wrong about this.....I just want a starter. And, yes, many/most first round picks start/play a ton, their rookie year (that's not aimed at you, but others that will surely point out I'm wrong).

DT/CB/OL remain my top concerns for this roster. I've been on the DT train most of this season, but they will need another CB either in the draft or FA or both.....

I agree that DT, CB and OL are the top priorities. I think they will have a hard time extending Alexander and Waynes, and Rhodes is pretty much done. I’d assume they keep one of Waynes or Alexander with Hughes taking on a starting job. If the Vikes need a slot CB, I could definitely see them looking at FA options, or maybe they look at Hughes as a slot CB and draft a first round CB to compete with Hill on the outside opposite of Waynes. I could see a situation where Hughes moves into the slot in nickel but starts at outside CB in “base”, like Winfield used to do.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, SemperFeist said:

I’d gladly give up three 1st rounders and two 2nds for Joe Burrow. 

But I don’t think that would get the job done. 

Although, I would love to get Jalen Hurts in the 3rd round, too.

I love Burrow.  But not high on Hurts.  I’d rather wait if that’s the case.  Wait til Zimmer is fired and we go a different route.  

On 12/17/2019 at 1:50 PM, swede700 said:

Well, according to PA, Zimmer is awfully high on Kris Boyd, so I imagine he'll get a lot of run next season.  Doesn't necessarily diminish the need for a corner, but might lessen where they need to take one.  

I’m hoping he doesn’t have the option to start or sit Boyd.  

This draft better be about solidifying the Offensive Line.  If you want a corner, I’m sure among others, that Bryce Hall from UVa will still be there in the second round. 

Being a UVa fan and all, it’d be pretty cool to see him go to my favorite pro team too.  Even though Chris Cook didn’t work out, Hall is much better imo.  

First round needs to be OL though imo

Edited by Torchezim
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Torchezim said:

This draft better be about solidifying the Offensive Line.  If you want a corner, I’m sure among others, that Bryce Hall from UVa will still be there in the second round. 

Being a UVa fan and all, it’d be pretty cool to see him go to my favorite pro team too.  Even though Chris Cook didn’t work out, Hall is much better imo.  

I'm not sure they're going to be in position to take an OL in the first round, but we'll have to see how the board falls.  At this point, with the QB need lessened by the performance by Cousins, I'm all for a DT in the first round...and then address the OL in the 2nd or 3rd.  I still think they should draft a QB in the mid-rounds, however.

Right now, Javon Kinlaw would be a no-brainer, if he's available.

Edited by swede700
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Torchezim said:

My initial reaction is to concur with you on this; however, the 3-tech talent drops off much more precipitously than the OL talent does.  I would take Kinlaw (as stated above) if he is available, with our 1st round pick.  Then OL with 2nd and one of our 3rds.  DB with our other 3rd.  An upgrade at NT would be nice too: Benito Jones (6'1", 326) is slated to be drafted in rounds 3-5, would be a nice pick-up in the 4th round if he is still available.  He had 5.5 sacks this year, a decent total for a 326 pounder.  Kinlaw and Jones would make a nice tandem on the interior.   LB depth would be nice in the later rounds also.

4 hours ago, Torchezim said:

By this are you suggesting that you wouldn't have made moves before the draft to deal with the offensive line?  Or are you suggesting that you would bring in a starter via free agency and still draft OL in the first round?

I can't get behind any plan that primarily is looking to solve the offensive line problem in the draft. The draft should be where they are looking for solid depth that they can hopefully develop to beat out whatever reasonable starters they can get in place before the draft. The need on the offensive line is more immediate so can't rely entirely on the draft.

It would be great to be going into the draft with Pat Elflein as the primary interior backup and then come out of the draft with a young guard that can compete with Elflein for that primary interior backup job right away while also having upside to take a starting positions early if everything goes right for that draft pick.

It is likely that Vikings will be in position to hope Bradbury looks better next year. I hate when they put themselves in position to have to rely on hope along the offensive line.  However, since that is where they are they better get a solid piece before the draft to put next to Bradbury to increase the odds of it working out. If no free agents are available they'll have to trade for a player and whatever pick that would cost them would effect how they they utilize their draft picks.

In addition to a guard, the Vikings really need to be looking for a LT in the draft. Reiff is fine holding the position until they find a player that beats him out. In other words, this is the type of imminent need the Vikings should be looking at dealing with in the draft. The Vikings really, really need to be looking for a LT in the draft this year. I wish they were able to find that player last year.

It would be great if the Vikings got a solid guard in free agency, a LT in the first round, and then a guard in round 2-3. Of course, the players available to them and their depth needs at other positions will make this ideal scenario unlikely as their will be other positions that could also use depth drafted in the early rounds (QB, secondary, DL). Some of those other positions will also need immediate starter needs filled before the draft. At least some of those other holes have pending Viking free agents that can be signed -- unlike the offensive line.

34 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

By this are you suggesting that you wouldn't have made moves before the draft to deal with the offensive line?  Or are you suggesting that you would bring in a starter via free agency and still draft OL in the first round?

I can't get behind any plan that primarily is looking to solve the offensive line problem in the draft. The draft should be where they are looking for solid depth that they can hopefully develop to beat out whatever reasonable starters they can get in place before the draft. The need on the offensive line is more immediate so can't rely entirely on the draft.

It would be great to be going into the draft with Pat Elflein as the primary interior backup and then come out of the draft with a young guard that can compete with Elflein for that primary interior backup job right away while also having upside to take a starting positions early if everything goes right for that draft pick.

It is likely that Vikings will be in position to hope Bradbury looks better next year. I hate when they put themselves in position to have to rely on hope along the offensive line.  However, since that is where they are they better get a solid piece before the draft to put next to Bradbury to increase the odds of it working out. If no free agents are available they'll have to trade for a player and whatever pick that would cost them would effect how they they utilize their draft picks.

In addition to a guard, the Vikings really need to be looking for a LT in the draft. Reiff is fine holding the position until they find a player that beats him out. In other words, this is the type of imminent need the Vikings should be looking at dealing with in the draft. The Vikings really, really need to be looking for a LT in the draft this year. I wish they were able to find that player last year.

It would be great if the Vikings got a solid guard in free agency, a LT in the first round, and then a guard in round 2-3. Of course, the players available to them and their depth needs at other positions will make this ideal scenario unlikely as their will be other positions that could also use depth drafted in the early rounds (QB, secondary, DL). Some of those other positions will also need immediate starter needs filled before the draft. At least some of those other holes have pending Viking free agents that can be signed -- unlike the offensive line.

The problem with your preference is that solid offensive linemen don't become free agents.  Offensive line play around the league sucks so bad that truly the only option the Vikings have to get long-term success is to draft and develop them.  You don't see the Cowboys and Packers bring in free agent offensive linemen all that often.  Billy Turner is really the only one that either team hasn't drafted and developed, period.  

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, swede700 said:

The problem with your preference is that solid offensive linemen don't become free agents.  Offensive line play around the league sucks so bad that truly the only option the Vikings have to get long-term success is to draft and develop them.  You don't see the Cowboys and Packers bring in free agent offensive linemen all that often.  Billy Turner is really the only one that either team hasn't drafted and developed, period.  

That is a problem. Thankfully, I already considered that and mentioned the solution -- trading.

And by no means would I be looking for high end starters in free agency. I would primarily be looking for placeholders that can provide reliably play while the draft picks are made and developed. Sure, it would be great if a young pro bowl caliber player became available but that isn't something that I would be counting on. A source of a reliable placeholder is usually veterans aged 30+ that have been bumped off their previous team by a younger guy. These are not long term solutions but that is fine as the long term solutions come from the draft.