2020 Draft Talk

swede700

7 minutes ago, VikeManDan said:

Reiff and Becton compete for the starting LT spot. Hopefully Becton beats Reiff and he becomes a camp-cut. That would be my ideal scenario with Rashod Hill being the swing-tackle.

Agreed that guard is still a huge need.

What we do with Udoh then, he is a nice project OT and O'Neill is not going anywhere hopefully.  Cutting Reiff works but still does not fix the fact Kline sucks and Eflein is even worse and Bradbury struggles big time against power but at least he is better than Eflein at center which is not saying much.  

4 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

What we do with Udoh then, he is a nice project OT and O'Neill is not going anywhere hopefully.  Cutting Reiff works but still does not fix the fact Kline sucks and Eflein is even worse and Bradbury struggles big time against power but at least he is better than Eflein at center which is not saying much.  

Agreed on Udoh, I admittedly did forget about him. I see Rashod Hill is actually a UFA this off-season, perhaps we let Udoh handle the swing-OT duty and let Hill walk? Or use the savings from Reiff to resign Hill? 4 OTs seems like a good thing leaves 5 roster spots for 3 starting spots.

Kline, while not great, I don't think was terrible when he was healthy. The OG spots are hard to figure out but we definitely need to add some more competition to those spots. I thought Samia was a good start. I'm sure most think that Elf is the weak link and I agree with them. I'll defer to you on who some early-mid round iOL are that would compliment the Kubiak zone scheme.

The OL made some solid strides this year but there is still room for improvement. 

10 minutes ago, VikeManDan said:

Agreed on Udoh, I admittedly did forget about him. I see Rashod Hill is actually a UFA this off-season, perhaps we let Udoh handle the swing-OT duty and let Hill walk? Or use the savings from Reiff to resign Hill? 4 OTs seems like a good thing leaves 5 roster spots for 3 starting spots.

Kline, while not great, I don't think was terrible when he was healthy. The OG spots are hard to figure out but we definitely need to add some more competition to those spots. I thought Samia was a good start. I'm sure most think that Elf is the weak link and I agree with them. I'll defer to you on who some early-mid round iOL are that would compliment the Kubiak zone scheme.

The OL made some solid strides this year but there is still room for improvement. 

With Alaric Jackson and Leatherwood out the late 1st round seems a lot different in terms of the interior or swing OL prospects.  

Jonah Jackson becomes more of a need potentially but late 1st might be a little high for him.  

2nd round Vikings could go with John Simpson Clemson who is a perfect fit at OG for a zone blocking scheme and I brought that up before,  very athletic and he can pull and move really well, he could be a great pickup 2nd round but could be a little high for him but late 3rd round he is probably gone most likely.  Marcus Keyes Ok State is another guard who fits the system and could get in the 4rd or 5th round range.  Deonte Brown Alabama is a mauler and could be a good 2nd round pickup possibly also.   Logan Stenberg is arguably one of the best run blocking guards in the draft and I would love to get him as well, but he is not the athlete Simpson is. 

Biadasz now becomes the ideal guy to get but doubt he drops that far.  He could be a good OG or C but on the Vikings roster he would be a OG.

Tyler Biadasz Wisconsin RS JR
Jonah Jackson Ohio State GS
John Simpson Clemson
Deonte Brown Alabama RS JR
Logan Stenberg Kentucky RS
Tommy Kraemer Notre Dame RS JR
Shane Lemieux Oregon RS
Ben Bredeson Michigan
Marcus Keyes Ok State

For tackles that fit the system athletically these are the top guys but doubt they get a shot at any, maybe Trey Adams late 1st round but again OG I think is a bigger need.  Not sure Austin Jackson on USC comes out, if he does he could be a great option late 1st round but again is not really a swig tackle who could play OG like Alaric Jackson.

Tristian Wirfs Iowa JR
Andrew Thomas Georgia JR
Jedrick Willis Alabama JR
Trey Adams Washington RS
Mekhi Becton Louisville JR
Lucas Niang TCU
Ezra Cleveland Boise State RS JR
Isaiah Wilson Georgia RS SOPH

Becton is interesting if he is there but really depends on what they do with Reiff that will decide if they take a OT or not.  Ezra Cleveland could maybe play OG and OT potentially and could be a nice 2nd or 3rd round option.

7 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Biadasz now becomes the ideal guy to get but doubt he drops that far.  He could be a good OG or C but on the Vikings roster he would be a OG.

I think he'd be great next to Bradbury. Definitely on the short list of OL that could be available to us in Round 1.

8 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Becton is interesting if he is there but really depends on what they do with Reiff that will decide if they take a OT or not. 

If there is an OT there that they think can be the LTotF they need to take him. Having Reiff should have no impact on that decision.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, VikeManDan said:

I think he'd be great next to Bradbury. Definitely on the short list of OL that could be available to us in Round 1.

If Biadasz gets by these teams the Vikings could be in luck be sadly he should easily be gone by either Miami or Jacksonville. 

11. NY Jets
14. Tampa Bay  
18. Miami (From Pittsburgh) 
20. Jacksonville 

So really I guess one should not even consider Biadasz as an option because he probably will not be one.  

Maybe they forget team needs of OL and DT and just go with best there, could get Travis Etienne or De'Andre Swift if they think long term Cook they will not resign.  Or just go CB like Shaun Wade or Bryce Hall.  Xavier McKinney could make a lot of sense also if they are not going to resign Harris or Kearse.  Or better yet Curtis Weaver could be an option also if they want to move one from Everson Griffen with that void option in his contract.  Wish they could get Gross-Matos or Epenesa but that is not really an option either.

Looks like I was wrong about the Vikings getting a 3rd round compensatory pick; they will, however, get a 4th and two 7ths:

https://overthecap.com/projecting-the-2020-compensatory-picks/

NE gets two 3rds and two 6ths!  Also, cutting both Griffin and Joseph would save ($13,100,000 + $10,550,000) about $23,650,000:

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/minnesota-vikings/

Trading or cutting Rhodes would save $8,100,000 while cutting Elflein would save $899,500.

9 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

The Vikings could clear over $40M in cap space by letting go of Rhodes, Reiff, Joseph, and Griffen. 

The Vikings aren’t going to have trouble creating cap space. 

Yeah Griffen is probably as good as gone with that void possibility in there.  Sadly not great DE we could get late 1st round however.  Maybe Curtis Weaver could be a pickup possibly if Griffen is out.  

With Alaric Jackson out changed the mock around and got this.  Not as good because Austin Jackson cannot play guard and is still pretty raw so not ideal honestly.  Davidson would be a good get but I would like Bravvion Roy there also but Davidson has more upside as a inside pass rusher possibly and could also play as a run stopping DE.  Chris Miller I love as a hitter and AJ Green could be a good value late 4th and is under the radar.  Still would love Davon Hamilton 3rd round if he is there but was not this time.  Could go Curtis Weaver 1st round but OL has to be addressed really.

24. Minnesota  - Austin Jackson USC JR OT
55. Minnesota  - Marlon Davidson Auburn SR DE/DT
88. Minnesota - Chris Miller Baylor SR S
120. Minnesota - AJ Green Ok State SR CB

Sadly it does not fall great for the Vikings, maybe if Trey Smith enters the draft and we get him regardless of those health issues he has.

13 hours ago, perrynoid said:

Looks like I was wrong about the Vikings getting a 3rd round compensatory pick; they will, however, get a 4th and two 7ths:

https://overthecap.com/projecting-the-2020-compensatory-picks/

NE gets two 3rds and two 6ths!  Also, cutting both Griffin and Joseph would save ($13,100,000 + $10,550,000) about $23,650,000:

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/minnesota-vikings/

Trading or cutting Rhodes would save $8,100,000 while cutting Elflein would save $899,500.

With trying to go threw and review everything lately I can with the draft I haven’t dove that deep into the cap situations yet. 

How much dead cap does that create but cutting all of them?

Im sure there would be a fair amount for Rhodes with his contract and willing to bet the Vikings and ownership wouldn’t be willing to eat just a high amount. We have yet to see that with this group to do so. What second contract guys will we be able to sign that will preform at a Rhodes level for $8,100,000 when he’s playing well. 

23 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

With trying to go threw and review everything lately I can with the draft I haven’t dove that deep into the cap situations yet. 

Im sure there would be a fair amount for Rhodes with his contract and willing to bet the Vikings and ownership wouldn’t be willing to eat just a high amount. We have yet to see that with this group to do so. What second contract guys will we be able to sign that will preform at a Rhodes level for $8,100,000 when he’s playing well. 

At this point, Rhodes probably never plays well again, certainly nowhere near 2017 levels. Even 2018 Rhodes looks like a long shot. He’s completely fallen off. I hate not cutting a bad player because there isn’t a known good commodity. Sometimes you have to take a chance. Cutting Rhodes helps you afford Harris, who is they key DB to resign. 

56 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

There is a column in the second link for "Dead Money & Cap Savings" if you want to add them up.  I am too lazy to do so right now lol.