Why isn't Elflein working out?

y*so*blu

2 hours ago, Cearbhall said:

Yikes.  Reiff was the only above average player on the Vikings line last year according to PFF.  I was hoping that O'Neill was average but it looks like he graded well in the bottom quartile of tackles.  I assume that was mostly because of his struggles in the run game.

That jibes with what I've heard as well, i.e. that Zimmer was constantly pushing Flip saying we should run the ball more, and Flip was constantly pushing back saying our tackles weren't good enough. Or was it the guards? In either case he would have had a point. Seeing us try the run ball against any half-decent defense last year was so frustrating I hardly have the words for it. All in all it was a year of Vikings football I'll be very glad to put behind me. I hope Elflein can bounce back and have a career that transcends those memories, but right now I'm just not sure.

• 3 months later...

Elflein is still the weak link: 

The scheme is much better and the offense has been successful.

Small sample size, but Elflein is still struggling despite the position change and the healthy offseason. 

They might want to try Brett Jones at LG with the starters. He's been great as the 2nd string C. PFF named him as one of the top 5 OL this preseason: https://www.pff.com/news/pro-top-five-offensive-linemen-through-first-two-weeks-of-the-2019-nfl-preseason

1. C BRETT JONES, MINNESOTA VIKINGS
91.5 Overall Grade

Jones’ 91.5 overall grade has to look wholly unfamiliar for Vikings fans. This is an interior offensive line that was among the bottom-five in our grading system in all the NFL last year. Jones looks like he wants his playing time back after the Vikings drafted Garrett Bradbury in the first round. The veteran center hasn’t allowed a single pressure on 44 pass-blocking snaps through two games.

2 hours ago, vikesfan89 said:

Has Jones played any guard yet or has he only been at center?

According to Wikipedia Jones played both guard and center in the CFL, then started 13 games at guard for the Giants in 2017. 

It would be sad to see Elflein get cut now, but he's getting another chance and hasn't made much out of it so far.

59 minutes ago, y*so*blu said:

According to Wikipedia Jones played both guard and center in the CFL, then started 13 games at guard for the Giants in 2017. 

It would be sad to see Elflein get cut now, but he's getting another chance and hasn't made much out of it so far.

I know he's played guard before but I wasn't sure about this preseason.

It'd be pretty surprising to me if Elfein didn't start 

Jones played mostly at C in 2017, but did play a couple of games at LG including one as a starter. 

He’s played all 3 IOL spots over the years including in preseason but mostly at C. 

Last preseason he played C and a little LG for the Vikings, this year he’s been at C with a little RG late in the Seattle game. 

• Like 1

The Vikings need to have a plan at LG that isn't Elflein. If Jones can play at a level that even approaches average it would really help the line overall. Counting on Elflein to start was a huge mistake. Maybe some day Elflein will be decent in the league. I wouldn't write him off. However, counting on Elflein was always hoping for an answered prayer.

IMO, the offensive line is far too important to count on a prayer being answered. The team needed to get a proven guy to hold the job while they searched for an answer. The options are slim now and as fans we can only hope that the line won't again be a huge part of the reason for another season being lost.

I can't wait until the team puts the emphasis on the offensive line that I believe it should have. That isn't likely to happen under current leadership. I am not sure how many years of this model the owners are willing to put up with but as a fan it is nauseating. To be fair, I do enjoy the good defense.

As far as why Elflein, in particular, isn't working out: it appears to me to simply to be physical limitations. Not sure if he can grow, but he is going to have to try to because he doesn't have the athleticism to make up for lack of strength.

Edited by Cearbhall
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

The Vikings need to have a plan at LG that isn't Elflein. If Jones can play at a level that even approaches average it would really help the line overall. Counting on Elflein to start was a huge mistake. Maybe some day Elflein will be decent in the league. I wouldn't write him off. However, counting on Elflein was always hoping to an answered prayer.

IMO, the offensive line is far too important to count on a prayer being answered. The team needed to get a proven guy to hold the job while they searched for an answer. The options are slim now and as fans we can only hope that the line won't again be a huge part of the reason for another season being lost.

I can't wait until the team puts the emphasis on the offensive line that I believe it should have. That isn'y likely to happen under current leadership. I am not sure how many years of the model the owners are willing to put up with but as a fan it is nauseating. To be fair, I do enjoy the good defense.

As far as why Elflein, in particular, isn't working out: it appears to me to simply to be physical limitations. Not sure if he can grow, but he is going to have to try to because he doesn't have the athleticism to make up for lack of strength.

Elflein himself was a top 80 pick. that's a pretty high investment for a Center. A first was spent on Bradbury and a second was spent on O'Neill so maybe things are changing. 

Ultimately, I have little faith in both Guards, I'd expect both to be replaced in a year. Hopefully Samia can emerge, seems he's shown more through two preseason games than most of the recent mid to late round OL that MN has selected. 

• Like 1

At this point, I don't see us being able to make an outside move to improve the interior line without seriously overpaying.

I've held onto hope Elflein would improve. I think game 3 of this preseason will answer that question.

If he's still playing poorly, I wouldn't mind us replacing him with Isidora, Samia, Jones or Hill.

On 8/23/2019 at 2:15 AM, SteelKing728 said:

At this point, I don't see us being able to make an outside move to improve the interior line without seriously overpaying.

I've held onto hope Elflein would improve. I think game 3 of this preseason will answer that question.

If he's still playing poorly, I wouldn't mind us replacing him with Isidora, Samia, Jones or Hill.

I am 100% for overpaying if we can get the Colts to send us Quenton Nelson now that Andrew Luck has retired.  Heck i’d even include Kline and Treadwell in whatever package we send them!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kparty15 said:

I am 100% for overpaying if we can get the Colts to send us Quenton Nelson now that Andrew Luck has retired.  Heck i’d even include Kline and Treadwell in whatever package we send them!

The Colts have a talented roster, can't see them tanking on purpose now that Luck retired. Brissett might be okay.

1 hour ago, Kparty15 said:

xDxDxD  What an optimist! 

• Like 1

On 8/22/2019 at 7:18 PM, Krauser said:

Jones played mostly at C in 2017, but did play a couple of games at LG including one as a starter. 

He’s played all 3 IOL spots over the years including in preseason but mostly at C. 

Last preseason he played C and a little LG for the Vikings, this year he’s been at C with a little RG late in the Seattle game. 

So, Jones at C and switch Bradbury to LG?  Or vice versa?