Biggest head scratching picks

lark25

1 hour ago, PossibleCabbage said:

I guess the the thing to realize about the NFL is that there's minimal level of competition discount for toolsy offensive tackles, since Howard, Scharping, and PIpkins were all players I liked who went significantly before I saw them going.  I guess this might be an aftershock of the Marpet pick working out for the Bucs.

I think how well they performed in the post season bowl games (East-West / Senior) and their combine showings helped more than anything.  Those small school guys, if they're thought highly of and then go down and compete well against stronger competition, it sort of confirms what the scouts saw on tape.  Seems a fair amount of weight is put into how well those guys perform in those practice weeks and leading up to those post season all-star games

• Like 2

3 hours ago, BoltsFan937 said:

I think how well they performed in the post season bowl games (East-West / Senior) and their combine showings helped more than anything.  Those small school guys, if they're thought highly of and then go down and compete well against stronger competition, it sort of confirms what the scouts saw on tape.  Seems a fair amount of weight is put into how well those guys perform in those practice weeks and leading up to those post season all-star games

Chiefs really liked Saunders and Allegretti because of this

On ‎5‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 10:06 PM, LinderFournette said:

i would say the jags 2nd 3rd round pick Quincy Williams LB Murray State.  only real note of fame is his Brother Quinnen williams but a 5 foot 10 230 pound LB doesnt seem ideal even if it is at wlb.  felt we could have picked up numerous guys who could have filled other needs that had more value like Hakeem Butler, Anthony Nelson(i found him to be a good replacement for campbell), Chauncey Gardener-Johnson, Yodney Cajuste(would have given us great OT Depth at worse and we could have had him play for RT and RG), as well as guys like Finley and Grier(cuz obviously based on our 6th round selection we had QB as a draft need). 

I will not tolerate slander of ANY Murray State Racers.....

• Like 2

To me, it was the pick of Joejuan Williams in the 2nd by the Pats.  If people are going to take the various scouting sites as gospel then taking Joejuan before Greedy came off the board is pretty stunning.  I am pretty sure no one had him as their 5th CB in the draft and ahead of Greedy Williams.

18 hours ago, BayRaider said:

Yeah that was a bad one but at least most thought of him as a 2nd Round Talent while Jones is really look at as a 3rd Round Talent. 

Trubisky as well, but most had him as a Late 1st Talent so not a huge reach although I didn’t like him at all. 

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001025756/article/kyler-murray-among-22-prospects-attending-2019-draft

Daniel Jones was one of 22 prospects invited to attend the draft. Like everyone else on that list, he was expected to be drafted in round one. You can say he was a reach at #6, but he was still expected to be a first round pick. This 3rd round prospect talk is absolute nonsense. The NFL does not invite 3rd round prospects to attend the draft

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Gmen said:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001025756/article/kyler-murray-among-22-prospects-attending-2019-draft

Daniel Jones was one of 22 prospects invited to attend the draft. Like everyone else on that list, he was expected to be drafted in round one. You can say he was a reach at #6, but he was still expected to be a first round pick. This 3rd round prospect talk is absolute nonsense. The NFL does not invite 3rd round prospects to attend the draft

He was a 4th or 5th round talent that Gettleman decided to take in the 1st round. Congrats. Just because a prospect is projected to be reached on before hand doesn't make them more talented because the team is reaching.

Edited by Danger

6 minutes ago, Danger said:

He was a 4th or 5th round talent that Gettleman decided to take in the 1st round. Congrats. Just because a prospect is projected to be reached on before hand doesn't make them more talented because the team is reaching.

Lol. So whoever was putting the invite list together was like - well we better invite Daniel Jones along with these elite prospects because the Giants are going to reach for him. That’s pretty funny

Just now, Gmen said:

Lol. So whoever was putting the invite list together was like - well we better invite Daniel Jones along with these elite prospects because the Giants are going to reach for him. That’s pretty funny

Pretty much.

1 hour ago, Gmen said:

The people who put the draft together are not talent evaluators. It was highly rumored the Giants were going to reach on Daniel Jones at Pick 17 (still a massive reach at 17). You obviously invite any QB who has a chance of going in the 1st. 

6 hours ago, Gmen said:

Rooting for this kid, the beating he’s taken in the media is ridiculous.  I attribute most of this to all the mock drafts and “experts” picks in the four long months leading up to the draft.  Just like with Ferrill at 4, people get so used to seeing the same names mocked to their team, that when it doesn’t go that way, they get skewered for “reaching”.   If we didn’t have all this media attention on the draft for months, would we really be killing this kid right now? He’s a quality QB prospect, with years of production and starts to back it up.  If the argument is for Haskins, go look up how many one year starters at QB succeed in the NFL. Haskins has his warts too, his name just got more hype through the process.  

Here’s a prime example: I think every mock draft I’ve seen over the past few months had Jacksonville taking Jawaan Taylor at 7, and if not, Taylor was the first tackle off the board and at worst a top 15 pick.  Not only was he not the first tackle off the board, he ended up in the 2nd round and taken behind guys like Tytus Howard and Kaleb McGary who were widely viewed as day two picks. And guess what, Houston is getting killed and Jacksonville got a steal in the 2nd round 🙄

Edited by BoltsFan937
  • Like 6

19 minutes ago, BoltsFan937 said:

Rooting for this kid, the beating he’s taken in the media is ridiculous.  I attribute most of this to all the mock drafts and “experts” picks in the four long months leading up to the draft.  Just like with Ferrill at 4, people get so used to seeing the same names mocked to their team, that when it doesn’t go that way, they get skewered for “reaching”.   If we didn’t have all this media attention on the draft for months, would we really be killing this kid right now? He’s a quality QB prospect, with years of production and starts to back it up.  If the argument is for Haskins, go look up how many one year starters at QB succeed in the NFL. Haskins has his warts too, his name just got more hype through the process.  

Here’s a prime example: I think every mock draft I’ve seen over the past few months had Jacksonville taking Jawaan Taylor at 7, and if not, Taylor was the first tackle off the board and at worst a top 15 pick.  Not only was he not the first tackle off the board, he ended up in the 2nd round and taken behind guys like Tytus Howard and Kaleb McGary who were widely viewed as day two picks. And guess what, Houston is getting killed and Jacksonville got a steal in the 2nd round 🙄

Has nothing to do with mock drafts, it has to do with actual tape, which most fans don’t seem to watch... most people had Jones as QB4 at the highest and QB7 at the lowest with QB5 being probably the consensus. Personally I had him as QB6. There is really nothing special about this kids play what so ever. Considering the Giants are giving him a tremendous situation though, I expect him to sit for two years and then be a slightly below average starter for 3 years in the 17-21 range for QBs. After five years I see NYG pulling the plug and not giving him a 2nd contract in 2024. 

Edited by BayRaider

6 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Has nothing to do with mock drafts, it has to do with actual tape, which most fans don’t seem to watch... most people had Jones as QB4 at the highest and QB7 at the lowest with QB5 being probably the consensus. Personally I had him as QB6. There is really nothing special about this kids play what so ever. Considering the Giants are giving him a tremendous situation though, I expect him to sit for two years and then be a slightly below average starter for 3 years in the 17-21 range for QBs. After five years I see NYG pulling the plug and not giving him a 2nd contract in 2024. 

He played in a terrible team that hasn’t had a single NFL player drafted in 3 years. Of course he’s going to have some bad tape. But It’s interesting that you won’t even acknowledge his positive traits. You either lack the imagination, or simply refuse to acknowledge what type of player he can become with his skill set. It’s almost like you’ve taken it as a personal slight that the Giants drafted your QB6 at #6 overall. 

The Raiders reached just as much in the first round. Go bang on that drum for a bit instead of focusing on Jones. 

• Like 1