The Batman

Acgott

Went and saw it tonight.

I won't spoil anything...but there were a couple things in the movie that made me shake my head. It had some good moments, so wasn't completely awful, but I thought it was a letdown. 

10 hours ago, D82 said:

Went and saw it tonight.

I won't spoil anything...but there were a couple things in the movie that made me shake my head. It had some good moments, so wasn't completely awful, but I thought it was a letdown. 

Aw c'mon. Use the tags. 

Spoiler

So...I really didn't get the idea behind having Falcone be Selena's father. It just seemed...pointless, and you could have taken that whole plot out of the movie and been fine. 

It really, really lagged in some spots. The Riddler's performance went a bit too over the top at points and made me want to walk out of the theatre. Also - whoever they got to do the Joker (because we all know that's who it was at the end) - he sucked. Jared Leto levels of awfulness. 

And I don't know if it was just the theatre we went to go see it at...but the audio was almost indiscerinble at points, and it was way too dark at times. 

9 minutes ago, D82 said:
  Reveal hidden contents

So...I really didn't get the idea behind having Falcone be Selena's father. It just seemed...pointless, and you could have taken that whole plot out of the movie and been fine. 

It really, really lagged in some spots. The Riddler's performance went a bit too over the top at points and made me want to walk out of the theatre. Also - whoever they got to do the Joker (because we all know that's who it was at the end) - he sucked. Jared Leto levels of awfulness. 

And I don't know if it was just the theatre we went to go see it at...but the audio was almost indiscerinble at points, and it was way too dark at times. 

Spoiler

Selena's relationship with Falcone give her character the proper motivation and character development. It also serves as a juxtaposition to Batman and his no kill rule and more importantly his self "I am Vengeance" piece. Catwoman's need for vengeance and how it drives her in all the wrong directions is important for Batman's evolution in this film. His guiding hand and protection of Selena from her own need for it also draws them closer together. 

You are right in that from a plot perspective it isnt needed. Plot isnt everything though.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:
  Hide contents

Selena's relationship with Falcone give her character the proper motivation and character development. It also serves as a juxtaposition to Batman and his no kill rule and more importantly his self "I am Vengeance" piece. Catwoman's need for vengeance and how it drives her in all the wrong directions is important for Batman's evolution in this film. His guiding hand and protection of Selena from her own need for it also draws them closer together. 

You are right in that from a plot perspective it isnt needed. Plot isnt everything though.

Spoiler

He killed her friend. Isn't that sufficient motivation to do all the things you mentioned without randomly throwing in Falcone being her father? 

34 minutes ago, D82 said:
  Hide contents

To your first part: 

Spoiler

That is something from a comic storyline, apparently. It's never outright said, but implied possibility. Here they just confirm it, it seems.

To your second points, I'll just disagree. Dano was great, as I expected. The last part? It was one quick scene... not much to infer from that. 

28 minutes ago, D82 said:
  Reveal hidden contents

He killed her friend. Isn't that sufficient motivation to do all the things you mentioned without randomly throwing in Falcone being her father? 

Spoiler

Sure, but it means more that your father killed your mother and your friend. THAT is a motivation to kill someone when killing may not otherwise be in your nature. Enough is a weird way to phrase that. Catwoman is designed to have redeeming qualities. If she was quick to kill, why would Batman even consider her an ally? Wouldn't he just lock her up immediately? With the familial piece to this, Batman can relate to her need for some kind of justice based on his own feelings and experiences. The point here is to bond Batman and Catwoman. Shared trauma is a great way to do that and his understanding of her emotions here and her need for vengeance stemming from a similar place makes a huge difference. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, D82 said:
  Hide contents

Spoiler

The only thing I agree on with any of this is Joker. It was only a small scene so I can’t judge… but his laugh and voice were just not Joker worthy. The laugh with indeed Leto cringe level. That, I agree with you on. The rest, nope. 

With the familial piece to this, Batman can relate to her need for some kind of justice based on his own feelings and experiences. The point here is to bond Batman and Catwoman. Shared trauma is a great way to do that and his understanding of her emotions here and her need for vengeance stemming from a similar place makes a huge difference. 

I didnt even think of this

Good catch

On 3/5/2022 at 1:09 AM, BayRaider said:

This movie was great. At least a 9/10 from me. Probably the best Batman movie of all time behind only The Dark Knight. First time I’ve actually been entertained by a 3 hour movie from start to finish without getting bored once. None of it felt like filler. Soundtrack was amazing. 

Hide contents

I’m glad they kept the dark theme to Batman, you can tell the first few minutes the dark vibe of the movie. I always have a fear they will try to copy Marvel with comedy and feel-good instead of dark. 

Great acting throughout. Gordon was a great actor, as he always was on westworld and elsewhere. Catwoman was solid. Riddler was GREAT. Definitely the best Batman Villain performance behind only Heath Ledger’s Joker. Great acting and performance. 

Robert Pattinson as Batman was great. I was not a fan of his Bruce Wayne though. A bit of the emo personality he always plays in movies. Bruce is suppose to be charming, charismatic, confident, and witty. Bruce was Pattinson’s usual sad character he loves to play. However, that is literally my only complaint the entire movie. The rest of the movie is just really, really great. 

We were entertained from start to finish. The dark batman scenes were dramatic, intense, and super cool, especially the opening. The story was solid and Riddler’s arc was extremely well written and well executed. 

Great first movie. Not sure why critics only have it at a 82%. As always, the audience score is always the correct score. 

Another thing I loved is it was Batman right from the start. I’m soooo tired of movies wasting the first movie of a trilogy on a origin story or huge introduction, kind of wastes the first movie. We know who Batman is. We know who Spiderman is, etc. This movie was Batman from the start. Of course, very early Batman where Gordon isn’t commissioner, police don’t like Batman yet, and the people haven’t grown to love him yet. It basically starts off at a perfect point, the very very early career part of Batman. 

The charming Bruce wouldn’t make sense in the context of this movie. Maybe in the next movie given the progression.

Edited by Xenos

On 3/5/2022 at 3:53 AM, AlexGreen#20 said:

The lack of Bruce Wayne was tough. 

The Nolan version of Bruce Wayne who intentionally went out of his way to be a congenial dumbass to throw people off of his identity was the better way to play it. 

Was nobody else bothered by the fight scenes? It's supposedly this gritty noir piece and yet they pulled away from every shot. I don't think there was a single drop of blood in this entire film. 

This Bruce Wayne made sense in this movie since he’s completely Batman. We’ll probably see the mask in the sequel.

And I thought the fight scenes were good. Probably because they were light years better than the Nolan ones.

• Like 1

On 3/5/2022 at 2:35 PM, Acgott said:

I enjoyed it, but wasn’t blown away by it. Some of the things Batman did was off for me, and he was way too chummy with the cops.

I thought there was a natural progression with the cops. I didn’t think he was chummy at all.