2020 NFL Draft Thread

Humble_Beast

2 minutes ago, raidr4life said:

He's a beast, people worried about his 40 time, I'm not he plays faster to me and clutch.

Agreed. Did not matter what opponent he was against, dude just made plays. I will never forget the Georgia Hail Mary  Flat out baller. Would love to see us get him. I'd cheer hard for him. 

39 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Aj Terrell was lockdown except for the natty. If we take him at 19, I can live with it. It would be a “mayock reach”

Yeah I agree.  I love the player not the pick number.

idk if I buy the narrative (not saying your trying to pitch the narrative, it’s just a common thing online) that mayock reaches for his guys.

he traded down 2x in the second before talking his guy, Mullen.  I remember a interview where He told the story of Gruden basically freaking out wanting to send the card up for him each time we were on the clock and thinking he’d be picked by someone else as soon as we traded out of those spots.... but Mayock was patient in moving back and acquiring picks (turned 35, 140, 235 into 40, 109, 158... then turned 109 into 129 (I.Johnson CB) and 135, which became 137: F.Moreau TE and 230:Q.Bell LB)

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001027756/article/2019-nfl-draft-trade-tracker-details-of-all-the-moves

We went into the draft with:

(4, 24, 27)

35, 106, 140, 218, 235

And after trades had:

(4, 24, 27)

40, 106, 129, 137, 149, 230

Basically we lost a mid 7th rounder but gained Isaiah Johnson and Hunter Renfrow.  

Ferrell’s selection at 4 seems more like an unfortunate scenario where the top tier was 3 deep in this draft and there was no decent deal to move down and still get the guy we wanted or compensation down or getting the guy we wanted.  Over and over in the ‘19 draft Mayock traded down and kept getting the guys he wanted and additional picks. 

This is why I think Mayock shouldn’t be known for his “Mayock Reaches” but actually the opposite.... he maneuvers the board to get the guy he wants as low as he can safely.  I honestly do think he for the player he was after each time he traded down.  We definitely were targeting Mullen at 40 and  Johnson, Moreau, and Renfrow in the 4th.  Mayock foresaw the sweet spot of talent in the 4th stockpiled picks there.

Mayock....

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cleveland.com/browns/2019/04/oakland-raiders-2019-nfl-draft-what-draft-picks-do-they-have.html%3foutputType=amp

turned into....

https://www.espn.com/blog/oakland-raiders/post/_/id/23020/oakland-raiders-2019-draft-analysis-for-every-pick?platform=amp

Edited by jimkelly02
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, raidr4life said:

I would like one of those guys in that spot but I figured Claypool and Pittman will be gone maybe Jefferson I almost put him there but maybe gone aswell. I could live with Delpit over Murray, I think Randall still on the radar in FA however.

If you said that in your mock it’d really Change peoples view of it.

17 minutes ago, raidr4life said:

He's a beast, people worried about his 40 time, I'm not he plays faster to me and clutch.

It’s reasonable to question his separation ability when he ran soooo poor.  
I don’t mean this in a personal attack way (seriously!) but it’s almost ironic you value Higgins speed so much over Jeudy and Lamb, yet are so high on Jauan “4.72” Jennings.  

you don’t see Jennings having any issues getting separation? His 10yd and 20yd splits were awfully troubling as well. And his 29” vert was bad.  

5 minutes ago, jimkelly02 said:

It’s reasonable to question his separation ability when he ran soooo poor.  
I don’t mean this in a personal attack way (seriously!) but it’s almost ironic you value Higgins speed so much over Jeudy and Lamb, yet are so high on Jauan “4.72” Jennings.  

you don’t see Jennings having any issues getting separation? His 10yd and 20yd splits were awfully troubling as well. And his 29” vert was bad.  

I actually Love Lamb, I think the team will value Ruggs speed, my personal preference is Lamb but I have a feeling Gruden wants Ruggs just a feeling.. I also tend to stick to what i see on the field than let combine numbers change my mind Jennings is a baller.

56 minutes ago, raidr4life said:

I watched more of jennings. There are some things to like, but he can be had likely in the 5-7 range because of his testing and the depth of the class. If we took him in 5 or beyond, I'd say it's a really good pick.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, jimkelly02 said:

Yeah I agree.  I love the player not the pick number.

idk if I buy the narrative (not saying your trying to pitch the narrative, it’s just a common thing online) that mayock reaches for his guys.

he traded down 2x in the second before talking his guy, Mullen.  I remember a interview where He told the story of Gruden basically freaking out wanting to send the card up for him each time we were on the clock and thinking he’d be picked by someone else as soon as we traded out of those spots.... but Mayock was patient in moving back and acquiring picks (turned 35, 140, 235 into 40, 109, 158... then turned 109 into 129 (I.Johnson CB) and 135, which became 137: F.Moreau TE and 230:Q.Bell LB)

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001027756/article/2019-nfl-draft-trade-tracker-details-of-all-the-moves

We went into the draft with:

(4, 24, 27)

35, 106, 140, 218, 235

And after trades had:

(4, 24, 27)

40, 106, 129, 137, 149, 230

Basically we lost a mid 7th rounder but gained Isaiah Johnson and Hunter Renfrow.  

Ferrell’s selection at 4 seems more like an unfortunate scenario where the top tier was 3 deep in this draft and there was no decent deal to move down and still get the guy we wanted or compensation down or getting the guy we wanted.  Over and over in the ‘19 draft Mayock traded down and kept getting the guys he wanted and additional picks. 

This is why I think Mayock shouldn’t be known for his “Mayock Reaches” but actually the opposite.... he maneuvers the board to get the guy he wants as low as he can safely.  I honestly do think he for the player he was after each time he traded down.  We definitely were targeting Mullen at 40 and  Johnson, Moreau, and Renfrow in the 4th.  Mayock foresaw the sweet spot of talent in the 4th stockpiled picks there.

Mayock....

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cleveland.com/browns/2019/04/oakland-raiders-2019-nfl-draft-what-draft-picks-do-they-have.html%3foutputType=amp

turned into....

https://www.espn.com/blog/oakland-raiders/post/_/id/23020/oakland-raiders-2019-draft-analysis-for-every-pick?platform=amp

Yeah I don't want to pigeonhole him into being a reach guy. I call it a "mayock reach" almost to suggest that even if it's a reach, it's a "mayock reach" so I'll live with it.

17 minutes ago, raidr4life said:

I actually Love Lamb, I think the team will value Ruggs speed, my personal preference is Lamb but I have a feeling Gruden wants Ruggs just a feeling.. I also tend to stick to what i see on the field than let combine numbers change my mind Jennings is a baller.

Interesting... I just figured you liked Ruggs more.  If this isn’t your final mock, maybe next time you throw a brief few sentences to explain the picks so we all have a better idea of the Thought Process.  It was actually a very good and interesting mock and insights like the post above would give others and myself more insight.

i def don’t (or try not to) let 40 times effect by opinion on players too too much.  To me it’s one of a dozen of insights into the player.  Really, for me at least, it’s to validate what you see on film.  Does the time match what I thought of him.  In fact I’ve had this pet peeve for years where some people don’t like a CB for instance cus he’s “a 4.5 player” and they like “4.4 players” when in reality that same player they like ran a 4.48 and 4.54.... but it gets remembered or marked down as 4.48 which becomes “4.4 speed.  The player they disregarded ran a 4.53 twice.  I both players basically have the same speed.  If we ran the 40 on another day the time could easily have been swapped.  That best of 2 runs combine time won’t be the players definite speed for the next 10 years, lol.  
anyways,..... my only problem with a prospect is When They perform so poorly I have to wonder if they can have success in the nfl.  With such poor speed numbers it think it’s legit to question his ability to get separation in the nfl, which is a key indicator of success.  Jennings is very good at the catch point imo and that will me much harder to keep up in the nfl.  That’s why I question him as a prospect now.   I do like his run after the catch, he’s like a RB... very hard to tackle.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Yeah I don't want to pigeonhole him into being a reach guy. I call it a "mayock reach" almost to suggest that even if it's a reach, it's a "mayock reach" so I'll live with it.

Gotcha I understand now.  I just brought it up cuz I’ve heard several people at numerous times say Mayock reaches... yada yadda... and I obviously put a lot of thought into looking into that idea before and found it to be false for the most part (Ferrell only)

thanks!

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, jimkelly02 said:

Gotcha I understand now.  I just brought it up cuz I’ve heard several people at numerous times say Mayock reaches... yada yadda... and I obviously put a lot of thought into looking into that idea before and found it to be false for the most part (Ferrell only)

thanks!

Yeah this MF has studied the draft for a decade. His "instincts" for trading down are very sound. I think the Renfrow trade shows he's willing to trade up to get "his guy" as well. I like that very much.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Yeah this MF has studied the draft for a decade. His "instincts" for trading down are very sound. I think the Renfrow trade shows he's willing to trade up to get "his guy" as well. I like that very much.

These tend to be my thoughts on it as well. I really appreciate that he is willing to move both ways in the draft. I liked a lot of things about Reggie, but his draft movement was woeful. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Absolutely.  Hes spent many years talking to a high percentage of the leagues GMs on what kind of players they like and their value so he’s likely got an interesting and unique insight into how most teams will pick... that said when he’s at 35 for instance he can within a degree of certainly guess how the next few teams will draft and who .... thus he can calculate the chances of his player being picked if he trades down to “X” spot and vice versa if he’s at “z” spot he’s got a good insight into the teams drafting above him and can trade up above any team that might take his guy.

seeing one draft and 2 FAs already.... it seems to go into FA with a shopping list of positions and ranks players for each position with a price he’s comfortable paying.  If player 1 takes it great... done deal.. if not on to speaking to #2.  Then when the draft comes he has his big board and his “target board” and maneuvers the board via trades to get the key players he’s after.  If he can’t get his targeted player he’s got a backup based on value. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, FloydFan said:

These tend to be my thoughts on it as well. I really appreciate that he is willing to move both ways in the draft. I liked a lot of things about Reggie, but his draft movement was woeful. 

Reggie did a good job of setting fire to the mess of a roster and cap situation we had and then balancing out the Salary cap.

he was decent at getting some value FA additions but the roster was so depleted of talent it was easy for some of those veterans to look good.  He also proven time and time again he was horrible at drafting.... all the way down to his inability to manage a scouting department. 
I’m glad Mayock came into the organization and fired everyone that needed to be and bring in his own guys and establish his culture.  I think just not being a good manager of people was one of Reggie’s downfalls.  He seems like a Football Guy more so than a CEO of a organization.

• Like 1