2020 NFL Draft Thread

Humble_Beast

8 minutes ago, roi34 said:

Draft lamb, trade up and get ruggs and let's go score some points!

Draft CB In 3rd or package third and Gabe for 2nd 

Funnnn

We'd have to trade up to #14 to get Ruggs as the Broncos 100% would at 15. What does jumping 4 spots in the top 15 equate to value wise?

Advanced issues found

10 hours ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

I'm quite shocked.  You think all will be good pros?  Odds are that 2 of the 3 will pose terrible value at 12 based on recent history of 1st round WR's.. 

Also doesn't it scare you that both Bama WR's basically played on a semi pro team littered with 1st round talent.  Those guys were never the focal point of opposing D coordinators bc the coordinators couldn't figure out who to shut down.  I'm basically saying they had it easy at Bama and the pros will be a harsh dose of reality and if these guys don't work extra hard they will fizzle out as I don't see elite traits other than Ruggs speed. Also how will they deal with press coverage from eilte NFL CB's?  That is the big question.

Let me break down your response in parts:

"You think all will be good pros?  Odds are that 2 of the 3 will pose terrible value at 12 based on recent history of 1st round WR's.."

Yes. I"m evaluating them all separately. I'm not going to play an odds game and only pick one when I think all three will be good pros. Every draft is different. This is not the 2014 draft in terms of receiver quality, but that year you had Watkins, Evans, Beckham, Cooks, and Benjamin all go in the first round. I'd say that Beckham, Evens, and Cooks were well worth the pick and Watkins and Benjamin flashed at points.

"Also doesn't it scare you that both Bama WR's basically played on a semi pro team littered with 1st round talent."

No, I don't mind. Especially when the first round talents you're referencing also play receiver. And this argument goes both ways. I could say that Jeudy and Ruggs's numbers were harmed because they played in an offense littered with first round picks. I'm evaluating the player, not the situation.

"Also how will they deal with press coverage from eilte NFL CB's"

This is the same question for virtually every WR entering the NFL. And it really isn't the question that is the most important to answer. First, NFL receivers don't face press coverage from elite NFL CBs--and even less collegiate receivers face press coverage from even practice-squad level talents. If anything, Jeudy and Ruggs saw far more challenging matchups in the SEC than Lamb did in the Big 12. The Raiders lack receiving talent. I don't think Lamb, Jeudy, or Ruggs are elite receivers (e.g. Julio Jones, Michael Thomas-level), but I do think they all have safe floors of being good to great receiving options in the NFL (i.e. Adams, Smith-Schuster)--and that's good enough for me.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, big_palooka said:

I don't think his stock has tumbled. He''ll still go top 15. He lacks elite traits to be a top 5-10 pick. He's got a small frame, had some drop issues with defenders on him. Otherwise he's a clean prospect who will be productive, but likely not a top 5-10 WR in the game in his career. 

And because of the depth of WR in this class, he likely goes later because teams feel they can get a WR in round 2-4 so that pushes his value down.

Yup. Mayock himself said that he's buyer-beware when it comes to WR's in the first round. 

17 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

We'd have to trade up to #14 to get Ruggs as the Broncos 100% would at 15. What does jumping 4 spots in the top 15 equate to value wise?

prob 1 of the third rounders ? 

fun thought though. no?

Edited by roi34

13 hours ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

If Lamb is not there do we go Jeudy?  I would rather go D than Jeudy.

If you're not in love with any of the WR, the 12th pick in this years class is pretty meh. If we're going defense there it's likely going to be Kinlaw or Henderson, neither of whom I love at that spot in terms of value. If we're really set on waiting on WR, I'd prefer a trade up to go get Okudah or Brown. 

In an ideal world Detroit trades down to 6 with the Chargers. And then we could send #12 (1200), #80 (190), and a 2021 2nd round pick to the Lions for the 6th pick. 

9 hours ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

If we select a WR at 12 and he is a football player like the ones on list I have mentioned, he is worth the value at 12.  Not all of these players had better numbers than "elite #1 Cooper" last year but all are better WR's at playing football.  

Ok but your argument used to be first round WR had to be Julio Jones mode elite x.

22 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

To move up to #14 (1,100) would likely cost #19 (875), #80 (190), and 121 (52). 

I also think Tampa Bay would be reluctant to move out of that spot. If they're looking to upgrade their offensive line being at #14 is a pretty solid spot. Even if Wirfs/Becton/Thomas/Willis are gone they'll still be able to nab Josh Jones, who likely doesn't get past Miami at #18. 

3 minutes ago, raidr4life said:

Ok but your argument used to be first round WR had to be Julio Jones mode elite x.

If you look at the majority of the league's leading WR's last season, none of them tested out that well at the combine. Guys like Thomas, Godwin, Allen, Golladay, Landry, Hopkins, Kupp, etc. 

9 minutes ago, raidr4life said:

Incorrect.  I said top 5 pick WR's have to be Julio (elite X)  which is where we drafted Cooper.  If a team drafts a WR at 32 overall one would not expect there to be a Julio type prospect value there. 

Edited by Frankie2Gunz
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

If you're not in love with any of the WR, the 12th pick in this years class is pretty meh. If we're going defense there it's likely going to be Kinlaw or Henderson, neither of whom I love at that spot in terms of value. If we're really set on waiting on WR, I'd prefer a trade up to go get Okudah or Brown. 

In an ideal world Detroit trades down to 6 with the Chargers. And then we could send #12 (1200), #80 (190), and a 2021 2nd round pick to the Lions for the 6th pick. 

If Okudah slips to 7ish I would prefer a trade up from 12 rather than taking a WR at 12.  12 and one of our 3rds plus a pick later on should be the point vale to move up to 7 or 8.  

CB is a premium position and Okudah is an elite prospect.  I would rather give up a few picks to grab a prospect like that and take advantage of the WR value later on. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

If Okudah slips to 7ish I would prefer a trade up from 12 rather than taking a WR at 12.  12 and one of our 3rds plus a pick later on should be the point vale to move up to 7 or 8.  

CB is a premium position and Okudah is an elite prospect.  I would rather give up a few picks to grab a prospect like that and take advantage of the WR value later on. 

Agreed. Okudah is a plug and play starter with All-Pro potential. You pair him with Mullen and Abram going forward and we'd instantly have one of the better young secondaries in the league.

• Like 1

julio is the man, love him, would love him, but at 31 isn't worth a 1 anymore IMO. 

wouldnt even trade a 3rd because every WR we trade for a 3rd is out of the NFL i feel like. 

Just now, RaidersAreOne said:

Oh definitely a fun thought. The potential WR corp of Lamb/Jeudy, with Ruggs, Renfrow and Williams is dirty.

yeah would give us room to cut bait with Williams and sign a CB with that money or other area of need. Or re-sign another guy too. 

Lamb / Ruggs / Renfrow / Waller 

Jacobs / New RB