2020 NFL Draft Thread

Humble_Beast

Just now, MrOaktown_56 said:

Sure. But adding a top talent to a position of need versus adding a similar talent to a position of almost 0 need isn't a good use of assets. The same reason we likely won't take 2 WR in the first round.

I'm actually slightly more skeptical on Simmons than most. Even though I do like him, I think that the NFL is a very physical game and he wont be able to win by simply being the best athlete on the field and by being a freak athlete. His skill in coverage is very good, but physical teams in the run game may be able to bully him more than people anticipate. Just a thought.

Yeah I have said that they are very close and it would go to your preference.

Do you really think Randall is the long term answer at FS or that we'll never have a time when Littleton or Kia will be knicked up or over matched vs certain teams or players that SImmons could shut down. Just so many different ways to use him. I also don't share your concern about him in the run game nearly enough to take Okudah over him. My opinion.

4 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Mims is also a sideline monster and has shown the ability to beat press coverage on the outside. He can win vertically and is actually pretty smooth in and out of his breaks.

Reagor has a lot of the qualities that made Odell Beckham an exciting prospect coming out. The only big knock on him is production and thats because he had the 118th most accurate qb in the country out of 120, per PFF.

Again... You put Reagor on Oklahoma or Alabama's squad, you're arguing him in the top 3 WRs. He's my #3 behind personally. I'd take him over Ruggs. He had no chance at TCU with their QB and offense.

Also... didn't realize his father was Monte Reagor from the Broncos back in the day.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

I personally think Shenault is a top 20 player in this class. Not that he should be drafted there, he shouldn't. But if he can stay healthy, I think he has that ability and will show out. 

Shenault is going to be a monster if he can stay healthy. That's really the only concern I have about him. He played all 3 WR spots at Colorado and is a monster with the ball in his hands. He broke 44 tackles the last two seasons and like 60% of his yards came after contact. Plus he had one of the best win rates on contested catches of any player in the class. The lack of a full "route tree" is something people keep knocking him for but Colorado had to do whatever they could to get him the ball in space because they lacked talent and their QB sucked. 

Like you've said before a lot of perspective about this years WR group is jaded due to where they played in college. If you put Shenault on that OU roster and allowed him to play for Riley while catching passes from Mayfield (Heisman winner, #1 pick), Murray (Heisman winner, #1 pick), and Hurts (Heisman runner up, likely 2nd round pick), he'd be a lock to go in the top 15. Same thing with Jalen Reagor, if you put him on that Alabama roster where he could've caught passes from Tua there's not a huge difference between him and Ruggs. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

All the more reason to try and catch him if he falls. I agree he has huge upside. But why take him early when he can be had later?

Because someone else could be and probably is thinking the same thing which diminishes the chance that you can get him later.

10 minutes ago, NightTrainLane said:

Simmons would be SLB and he would be able to stay on the field in alot of situations where other teams would bring in their nickel because he is that versatile. He is really gonna change the way you can play defense if your DC's brain is big enough to see it.

That's true, having Simmons would give us a lot more flexibility. He's my favorite prospect in the class but I just still think that a #1 CB is a lot more valuable than what Simmons would provide because Littleton and Abram can do a lot of the things he'd bring. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

100%.... I hope he slides to 80. Actually curious how Mayock views him. 

I wonder how his medical recheck went. Also interesting that players have to have their rechecks done by the doctors from the NFL team closest to their college. So for example Shenault would've had his recheck done by the Broncos who would've sent it out to the other 31 teams. 

2 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Like you've said before a lot of perspective about this years WR group is jaded due to where they played in college

This is a slippery slope. Soon as I started saying that with Reagor, HB started using that for developmental WRs like Quez Watson who would be a 2nd rounder if he played at Alabama.

• Like 2

Just now, NYRaider said:

That's true, having Simmons would give us a lot more flexibility. He's my favorite prospect in the class but I just still think that a #1 CB is a lot more valuable than what Simmons would provide because Littleton and Abram can do a lot of the things he'd bring. 

And what happens if one of them gets injured and we passed on Simmons to get a corner and team just butt pump us over the middle again. I just think we can get Simmons and a good corner but there are no more prototype player like him in the draft if we take Okudah and he is gone.

1 minute ago, big_palooka said:

This is a slippery slope. Soon as I started saying that with Reagor, HB started using that for developmental WRs like Quez Watson who would be a 2nd rounder if he played at Alabama.

It doesn't apply to every WR. But it does apply for guys like Shenault and Reagor who were making plays at schools in Power 5 conferences despite crappy QB play while also being the focal point for every defense they faced. 

19 hours ago, BayRaider said:

I really want Zack Moss in the 3rd. But I keep telling myself using a 3rd on a Spell RB probably not a good idea. Getting AJ Dillion in the 4th is much better “value”. 

Classic case of don’t draft players because you love them, see where the value is for what you need. I think our value for a Spell RB is in the 4th. Even though I love Moss. 

this is why I like lamichal perine as well, good chance hes there at 91 or our 4th rnd. him or Dillon could be there in the 4th. h*ll, maybe moss too, rb`s are always undervalued and pushed down nowadays.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, NightTrainLane said:

And what happens if one of them gets injured and we passed on Simmons to get a corner and team just butt pump us over the middle again. I just think we can get Simmons and a good corner but there are no more prototype player like him in the draft if we take Okudah and he is gone.

And if Mullen gets injured as it stands, our season is toast.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NightTrainLane said:

You can add another LB with some coverage skills and/or another safety later in the draft with guys like Logan Wilson, Akeem Davis-Gaither, Terrell Burgess, Ashtyn Davis, etc. You can't give up two first round picks to move up and get a player because guys you already have that offer his skillset might get hurt. If you take a CB with legit #1 CB potential to pair with Mullen you improve the defense by a wide margin, IMO. 

You don't really need a prototype player like him though when you're adding guys like Littleton and Abram to the back 7 already.