Broncos nearing deal w/ CB Chris Harris Jr. (One-year deal)

RaidersAreOne

45 minutes ago, SBLIII said:

It wouldn't be an extension though

Wondering if it's adding a second year on to the deal after this one to give him more money up front with the second year being voidable or something like that? Not often you see teams just give more money when there is only one year left on the deal. 

41 minutes ago, SBLIII said:

It wouldn't be an extension though

Harris asking to be a top-paid CB (15M AAV) beyond this year at his age is unfortunately not a realistic option.

Honestly, even a pay raise this year is a curious decision, but at least Harris has earned it.   This is mostly to avoid a holdout, and probably to make Harris tradeable without any drama.   It also likely means Harris is done after this year, as a raise for this year also means they can't agree on a future #.

This fits with Elway's public stance that the team is set to contend this year.  Frankly, that's a wildly optimistic view with KC/LAC still far ahead (and even more so if Tyreek Hill plays), but that's life in DEN, where struggles and rebuilding are such unfamiliar terms. 

I can't argue that Harris isn't worth whatever $ he gets for 2019 as a raise, but honestly a trade (assuming it's a Day 2 pick or better) is best for us long-term, if Harris isn't staying (as he's only returning and end-of-3rd pick in 2021 if he leaves).    Given that P-Pete is now suspended and Xavien Howard has been extended, he's the one elite shutdown CB left.    It won't prevent  trade from being explored if DEN is out of contention before the trade deadline (quite possible with our schedule and the deadline moved back to Week 8, we saw that with DT this past year), but honestly if a buyer is willing to give up a 2nd for him, man I'd be interested.   Either way though, as long as the raise isn't too crazy (I'm guessing it's going to go up 3M or so), then it's a small price to pay for stability this year - just more the win-now sentiment is understandable on the surface, but a deeper look says Harris likely isn't enough of a difference maker to really help us contend. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Forge said:

Wondering if it's adding a second year on to the deal after this one to give him more money up front with the second year being voidable or something like that? Not often you see teams just give more money when there is only one year left on the deal. 

It might also just be performance related bonuses and a small raise for the current year.  If Harris remains a top 5 CB, he'll earn whatever bonuses they add.  Right now, he literally gets 8.8M and that's it (his signing bonus being dead money and paid out years ago obv).

Just now, Broncofan said:

It might also just be performance related bonuses and a small raise for the current year.  If Harris remains a top 5 CB, he'll earn whatever bonuses they add.  Right now, he literally gets 8.8M and that's it (his signing bonus being dead money and paid out years ago obv).

Ahh, that would make sense as well 

Yeah his hard stance on being paid the highest CB in football at 31 years old next year is a little strange. It almost put the Broncos in a lose lose situation of either overpaying a longterm deal or having him not report. Seems that giving him a pay raise for just this year was the middle ground and he can try to get his longterm deal next year.

Will be interesting to see the full details on the extra 3M.   Don’t mind the short term recognition given Harris has earned top 10 status but it also puts Elway in a future bind if other guys come later looking to renegotiate.  

Then again Elway’s on the hot seat so it’s not surprising this is a now deal.    

29 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Will be interesting to see the full details on the extra 3M.   Don’t mind the short term recognition given Harris has earned top 10 status but it also puts Elway in a future bind if other guys come later looking to renegotiate.  

Then again Elway’s on the hot seat so it’s not surprising this is a now deal.    

I doubt it, like Ben Allbright said it looked like to be a act of goodwill towards CHJ for what hes done with a team-friendly contract and paints a good light on the organization to future FAs that they are willing to spend to take care of guys that deserve it. However 15m per year for a 30+ year old DB is insanity I dont think any team in the NFL would offer. Besides Dan Snyder.

2 hours ago, Broncofan said:

Don’t mind the short term recognition given Harris has earned top 10 status

Short term for sure

When they asked Harris about it, he was at least willing to be real:

“I’m the fourth cornerback this year [in 2019 cash] and after this season I’ll hit free agency and be No. 1,”  Harris said.

3 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

Short term for sure

When they asked Harris about it, he was at least willing to be real:

“I’m the fourth cornerback this year [in 2019 cash] and after this season I’ll hit free agency and be No. 1,”  Harris said.

I could see a scenario where Harris backs himself and settles on 1/2 year deals with almost all of the money guaranteed.

If he stays healthy (which he has done for most of his career) he will still be an elite slot CB for the next 2/3 years.

11 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

I could see a scenario where Harris backs himself and settles on 1/2 year deals with almost all of the money guaranteed.

If he stays healthy (which he has done for most of his career) he will still be an elite slot CB for the next 2/3 years.

So, this is kinda what we were talking about @lomaxgrUK. I think you're right on contract types, kind like Talib. The question is, does he go for the top dollar or stay in Denver for a couple million a year less? 

Personally, I really think it'll boil down to his wife. If she wants to stay in Denver they'll stay.

14 hours ago, AKRNA said:

So, this is kinda what we were talking about @lomaxgrUK. I think you're right on contract types, kind like Talib. The question is, does he go for the top dollar or stay in Denver for a couple million a year less? 

Personally, I really think it'll boil down to his wife. If she wants to stay in Denver they'll stay.

Honestly, I think he will go wherever pays him the most money. Chris has stated on numerous occasions he has absolutely no interest in a home town discount. He's good enough to succeed wherever he goes, so I don't think he will lose any future earnings by moving teams.

You obviously have to factor in state income tax too, as the Jags, Dolphins, Buccs, Raiders (from next year), Cowboys, Texans and Seahawks will be able to offer a deal with no state income tax which makes a difference when you're dealing with the numbers CHJ will be.

There is always demand for an elite slot CB so he will have plenty of suitors.