Broncos release veteran S TJ Ward

RaidersAreOne

37 minutes ago, EliteTexan80 said:

Ugh, really wanted the Texans to take a flyer on him for this kind of money. Our S depth is shallow at best.

I don't get it though. We retained Conte, who is a starter. Tandy blew up down the stretch last year and is our other starter. We drafted Evans in the second round and signed Wilcox from Dallas. We already have 10 DBs on the roster; 11 if you count Robinson, our special teams ace.

I just don't understand. 

13 hours ago, Broncofan said:

Simmons is the 2017 guy, but the likely final straw was the emergence of Jamal Carter, a UDFA priority sign (DEN spent their highest $ for him of all the UDFA's).  He really flashed in the PS and Elway & co. became convinced he wouldn't clear waivers if they tried to sneak him to the PS.  With Simmons and Will Parks already on the roster, keeping 5 safeties when we have our issues on the OL & DL wasn't feasible.   Cutting Ward allowed us to keep Darian Stewart, Simmons (new starter), Parks (the swing guy) and Carter (the stash/ST guy for now) as our 4 safeties.  Given our track record in identifying late-round DB's, I have to trust in the evaluations done here.

The Carter emergence was unexpected, so that explains why Elway pulled the trigger so late.  Sucks for Ward, because no doubt he's losing a fair amount of $.  But if you want the reasoning, it goes well beyond Simmons - he's ready for sure to replace and likely improve on Ward's pass-coverage deficiencies.  It's Ward's run support blitz timing and enforcer traits where it's iffier what happens.  But given our sudden number crunch at safety, well, as the saying goes, better to part ways a year too soon than a year too late.

I knew about Simmons, but was unaware of the rest.  Thanks for the insight.

5 hours ago, bucsfan333 said:

I don't get it though. We retained Conte, who is a starter. Tandy blew up down the stretch last year and is our other starter. We drafted Evans in the second round and signed Wilcox from Dallas. We already have 10 DBs on the roster; 11 if you count Robinson, our special teams ace.

I just don't understand. 

That is an absolutely horrible group. I understand why they'd want to add a good player. You just said Chris Conte is a starter.

7 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

That is an absolutely horrible group. I understand why they'd want to add a good player. You just said Chris Conte is a starter.

I agree. But Conte was a FA and we resigned him. Tandy is solid, and was the best safety in coverage in the NFL the last six weeks of last year, once he got the chance to start. We signed Wilcox as one of our priority FAs and drafted Evans in the second.

Just now, bucsfan333 said:

I agree. But Conte was a FA and we resigned him. Tandy is solid, and was the best safety in coverage in the NFL the last six weeks of last year, once he got the chance to start. We signed Wilcox as one of our priority FAs and drafted Evans in the second.

We'll have to see about Evans, but Conte and Wilcox are just depth guys. They've been exposed enough as starters to show that. Conte must be a really good guy or something.

1 hour ago, BroncoBruin said:

We'll have to see about Evans, but Conte and Wilcox are just depth guys. They've been exposed enough as starters to show that. Conte must be a really good guy or something.

Conte is a depth guy.  They took a chance hoping Wilcox would turn into something more then a depth guy.  Evans isn't ready.  Whatever Ward is losing in pass coverage skills, he won't be any worse then Conte.  The Bucs really got hurt by Dallas and the Saints rushing the ball to kill their playoff hopes.  I expect Ward to help in that area.

Archived