Titans to Retire Jersey Numbers of McNair (9) and George (27)

-Hope-

Also I want to say about Eddie George let's not forget that when Steve McNair and Eddie George played for the Titans that offensive line was not that good and if you really disagree with that look at how many times Steve McNair was injured because he was getting hit over and over and over again. I'm not trying to pay Eddie George and some sort of amazing never going to see it again player but he wasn't a bad player and I get that guys had better seasons in he had but he was a really good football player in my opinion that on a team with a better offense of line a better run blocking offensive line may very well have had the number of people expected him to. Maybe I'm Wrong I very well could be I've been wrong plenty of times about football players but that's just my personal opinion on Eddie George. I will say this when you talk about the Tennessee Titans and their history two names come to mind Eddie George and Steve McNair and normally the latter comes first.

17 hours ago, Forge said:

That's what the hall of fame is for. I like that there is a spot that can represent the greats, but those who weren't quite great enough, particularly if they are largely associated with just a single team. The 49ers should absolutely retire Joe Staley's number, for example. He was often a great player. But he's probably not going to be great enough to get the Hall. So it would be the 49er way of honoring him for his play. 

Eh. I would say a ring of honor kind of thing is more appropriate for those kinds of players than retiring jerseys. Half the league has some kind of ring of honor or an internal team hall of fame. I do think this choice makes sense for the Titans given their fairly brief history. McNair and George are pretty clearly the highest profile guys the Titans have ever had. But I'd argue if a team like San Fran with that kind of history started retiring jerseys like Staley's you'd run out of numbers. Just because I feel like if you retire Staley, that opens up a tier of guys like Bryant Young or Frank Gore or Roger Craig as like, long time, but perhaps not hall of fame caliber, 49ers.

But, I could be of this opinion just because my own team is very wary about retiring numbers. Pretty much every jersey KC has retired is either as an emotional tribute (Stone Johnson, Mack Lee Hill, DT) or they were retired ages ago from the old guard Chiefs (Dawson, Thomas, Bell, Lanier.)

I dunno. I feel like retired jerseys should actually be a HIGHER honor than the hall of fame. Though again I get it in the icon status kind of situation with George and McNair.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, pwny said:

His splits don't suggest that's the case at all.

SdLqHlG.png

And in his entire career, he only had 83 career carries in the final 4 minutes with a lead. His teams won 85 games, so he literally averaged less than one carry per game in closeout game situations.

Boooo! Go away. You're ruining my childhood memories and you're a Jaguars fan.

Also, show his splits on his career 3rd/4th and 1 conversion %.

12 hours ago, Cheesehawk said:

Is it outlandish for me to think that Eddie George wasn’t even the best RB in franchise history?

Chris Johnson was another type of animal

yeah, it's kind of just a function of coming through during fisher's waning years when the teams he played for were mostly mediocre. plus after his 2k season he never quite reached the elite level of play again. but he was unreal at his peak.