Titans to Retire Jersey Numbers of McNair (9) and George (27)

-Hope-

4 hours ago, Activated10 said:

Titans fans, I heard Eddie George was overrated due to low YPC during his prime years. Similar situation with Leonard Fournstte? 

How good was George during his prime? 

His ypc were hideous at times like 3.4 ypc or even lower. 

Part of it is coaching,  like, who would do something so ineffective, for so long? Jeff Fisher. 

Jeff Fisher should give everyone hope that they can be promoted well beyond their level of competence and stick at it for a decade. 

Do not think about yourself in realistic terms, dream bigger than you can handle.

10 hours ago, Forge said:

That's what the hall of fame is for. I like that there is a spot that can represent the greats, but those who weren't quite great enough, particularly if they are largely associated with just a single team. The 49ers should absolutely retire Joe Staley's number, for example. He was often a great player. But he's probably not going to be great enough to get the Hall. So it would be the 49er way of honoring him for his play. 

Then have an Eddie George or Steve McNair day. Put them in the ring of honor. But retiring jerseys? Nope 

I'll argue that prime Eddie George had his YPC diminish because so many times in the 4th quarter, the Jeff Fisher led Titans were ahead by 1-2 possessions and would run out the clock. Instead of splitting carries/having your 2nd back take over in the 4th, Eddie would get about a million touches in 8-9 man boxes and just grind 2-3 yards and milk that clock.

• Like 1

Eddie George made 1st team all pro being 3.7ypc. That will never happen again in the history of the nfl. Granted the Titans were 13-3 that year; but like Edge, Mike Anderson, and Fred Taylor (had almost 100 less yards on 100 less carries) all had better seasons.

11 hours ago, Kiwibrown said:

His ypc were hideous at times like 3.4 ypc or even lower. 

Part of it is coaching,  like, who would do something so ineffective, for so long? Jeff Fisher. 

Jeff Fisher should give everyone hope that they can be promoted well beyond their level of competence and stick at it for a decade. 

Do not think about yourself in realistic terms, dream bigger than you can handle.

Fisher rightly deserves blame for the way his Titans and Rams tenures ended but people seem to forget he took a downright dreadful Oilers team, kept them respectable through a tough move to Tennessee playing in empty stadiums, built them into a SB contender, lost nearly every good player in a cap purge and then rebuilt the team into a contender again in '08 (with a 36 year old Kerry Collins as his QB!).  His style of smashmouth football, tough defense and clock-killing offense was not popular but I always felt lucky to have him in those years.  He seemed to get more out of the team than other coaches would have.  Sadly, when his name comes up, people just quote his mediocre lifetime record with no context of the team he took over, the move from Houston or the cap purges and talk about him like he's the least qualified head coach in history.  I think that's a short-sighted take.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, RuskieTitan said:

Gotta love the box score analysts up in here lol.

Stattttttttsssssss: George had almost 100 yds rushing (ok, 91) vs the incredible Super Bowl winning Ravens defense of 2000...retire that man's jersey! Ain't nobody could put a scare in the Ravens defense that postseason except George. Actually he also had 8 catches for 52 yards in that game which was basically a short pass so really it's a run. 

Think about it, the potentially best defense in Super Bowl history that knew the Titans were going to get the ball to George and still he produces. 

How bout the other RB's the Ravens faced that postseason? They held the Giants' Tiki Barber to 49 yds in the Super Bowl, the Raiders' Tyrone Wheatley went 12 carries for 7 yards (Y so negative) and Mike Anderson had 40 yards. 

(still weird to look up old highlights of George and see him wearing an Oilers helmet)

36 minutes ago, titanrick said:

Fisher rightly deserves blame for the way his Titans and Rams tenures ended but people seem to forget he took a downright dreadful Oilers team, kept them respectable through a tough move to Tennessee playing in empty stadiums, built them into a SB contender, lost nearly every good player in a cap purge and then rebuilt the team into a contender again in '08 (with a 36 year old Kerry Collins as his QB!).  His style of smashmouth football, tough defense and clock-killing offense was not popular but I always felt lucky to have him in those years.  He seemed to get more out of the team than other coaches would have.  Sadly, when his name comes up, people just quote his mediocre lifetime record with no context of the team he took over, the move from Houston or the cap purges and talk about him like he's the least qualified head coach in history.  I think that's a short-sighted take.

yeah, there was a time when fisher was one of the most respected coaches in the nfl, and i'd argue he deserved to be. problem is the game changed and he didn't change with it.

10 minutes ago, -Hope- said:

yeah, there was a time when fisher was one of the most respected coaches in the nfl, and i'd argue he deserved to be. problem is the game changed and he didn't change with it.

Even as late as 2012, he was being ranked in the top 10, 8th in this article.  

8. Jeff Fisher, St. Louis (2012-present), Tennessee (1994-2010)
Age: 54, Overall Record: 142-120 (16 full seasons), Postseason record: 5-6 (6 appearances)

Few have ever been as consistent over a longer period of time than Fisher. Especially, in the modern what-have-you-done-for-me-lately NFL world coaches currently operate within. Since his first full season in 1995 at age 36 (7-9), Fisher has posted only four losing seasons while moving a team from Houston to Nashville via Memphis, and is the franchise's winningest coach. He reached the playoffs six times, won four division titles and came up one famous yard short of a Super Bowl title following the 1999 season. He is a model of consistency and his hard-nosed attitude plays in any NFL city. His most impressive work might have been the reclamation project of the Titans from a paltry 9-23 in 2004 and 2005 to NFL prominence (23-9 from 2007-08) two years later.

But I don't want to turn this into a Fisher thread.  Props to Mac and Eddie!

Edited by titanrick

2 hours ago, MWil23 said:

I'll argue that prime Eddie George had his YPC diminish because so many times in the 4th quarter, the Jeff Fisher led Titans were ahead by 1-2 possessions and would run out the clock. Instead of splitting carries/having your 2nd back take over in the 4th, Eddie would get about a million touches in 8-9 man boxes and just grind 2-3 yards and milk that clock.

His splits don't suggest that's the case at all.

SdLqHlG.png

And in his entire career, he only had 83 career carries in the final 4 minutes with a lead. His teams won 85 games, so he literally averaged less than one carry per game in closeout game situations.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Activated10 said:

Titans fans, I heard Eddie George was overrated due to low YPC during his prime years. Similar situation with Leonard Fournstte? 

How good was George during his prime? 

George was a high volume power back so he was never one to have a high YPC. He was also insanely durable despite the number of carries he took. He was also averaging 3.9 from 96-00, which is perfectly acceptable for someone in his role. His YPC really bottomed out after 00 because he had over 450 touches in that season alone and was averaging nearly 400 each season up to that point too.

Edited by Elky

Eddie George didn't have much sizzle, but he was as consistent as they come.  He was very good at everything (rushing, receiving, blocking), but not elite at anything.  Ridiculously tough, perfect teammate.

Never missed a game.  Had over 300 carries for 8 years in a row, and one with over 400.  Stupid amount of usage, but he always sucked it up.

No offense to Eddie George because I'm not saying that he doesn't deserve it by any means because he does but for me as a football fan the connection is less significant with Eddie George. Steve McNair I mean this is overdue in my opinion. This is a guy who was injured how many times and many of those injuries he played through I mean this guy bled for this team literally. She was just an amazing player to watch and I've always disliked the Titans especially when we had to play the Titans back then because they were really good with McNair leading them but McNair is just a guy that it was really hard to dislike and obviously the past that his life would ultimately take was very tragic but I mean like I said this was long overdue congratulations on his behalf to his family who now represent his name.