**TCMD** - Keeper Discussion Thread

ny92mike

I've noticed that the team workbooks are pretty much at the max in terms of what all I've linked to them.  They are taking longer to load which is why some may be having issues with loading them if they aren't on a good wifi connection.

So adding much more I can't really do but we can still squeeze a little more into them so if you have suggestions let me know.

If you guys haven't noticed I added a free agent bidding sheet (FA BIDDING) so you can bid on players.  This is kinda new because this version you can see how many teams are bidding on that player and if you're within the top 5 of landing that contract.

So if there is only one person bidding on the player and you're within the top 5 mark it down as a win.  However, nothing is guaranteed or some owners could be just pulling your leg on the bids that are placed to force you to bid higher and in the final moments could remove or alter their bid.

@squire12  This FA Bidding sheet is up and running and it allows you to see in the Vet FA List all the free agents and what there asking prices are.

Edited by ny92mike

Also worth noting that the free agency bidding amounts that the players are requesting will change over time.  Because after this first season, we'll walk away from irl amounts and start using previous tcmd contracts to set the market.

@ny92mike I'm really glad we are doing this practice round. Thanks for setting this up and lots of good stuff here

Personally, I'm not sure how well the position draft works. It's a good idea in theory and was fun to try but I think it'll drive you (and whoever helps you) bonkers because we draft a positional group and keep 2 maybe 3 guys and then dump like a truckload of cuts on you. It also really makes most teams really tight against the cap. It is doubtful will participate in the free agent portion at all at this point which is one of the signature things of TCMD.

Here is what I might suggest as we think about the real thing.

1) Everyone picks their real NFL team and then selects 20 players on their current roster to hang on to at their real life salary. Everyone else is dropped into free agency.

2) We draft 12 individual players and take on their real salaries. (maybe 6 rounds of drafting 1 player and 3 rounds of drafting 2 at a time?)

3) Then we do TCMD free agency to fill up our rosters the rest of the way with whatever money we have left. 

3 minutes ago, ny92mike said:

So if we opt for a 7 round pos group draft, would you guys like to add a draft for the rookies not selected prior to the va free agency?

It would certainly keep these rookies from getting massive contracts in FA.  

If we stay with the Pos group draft format (Which I like), I would like the ability to cut 5th-7th rounders that are inherited from other teams drafts.

That's my biggest issue in that most of those guys don't make IRL rosters at the 53 man cuts.

2 minutes ago, EaglesPeteC said:

@ny92mike I'm really glad we are doing this practice round. Thanks for setting this up and lots of good stuff here

Personally, I'm not sure how well the position draft works. It's a good idea in theory and was fun to try but I think it'll drive you (and whoever helps you) bonkers because we draft a positional group and keep 2 maybe 3 guys and then dump like a truckload of cuts on you. It also really makes most teams really tight against the cap. It is doubtful will participate in the free agent portion at all at this point which is one of the signature things of TCMD.

Here is what I might suggest as we think about the real thing.

1) Everyone picks their real NFL team and then selects 20 players on their current roster to hang on to at their real life salary. Everyone else is dropped into free agency.

2) We draft 12 individual players and take on their real salaries. (maybe 6 rounds of drafting 1 player and 3 rounds of drafting 2 at a time?)

3) Then we do TCMD free agency to fill up our rosters the rest of the way with whatever money we have left. 

Appreciate it.  

Yes this practice round was a huge help.  Not only with the cap but also seeing how a position grouped draft would work, not sure if it's ever been done before.  Like you, it seems like more trouble than it's worth.  I've set the workbooks up so that it isn't too hard to manage, the cuts are a pain but no harder than what I do with other tcmd mocks, actually its easier.  But creating this to be easy wasn't easy a lot of time went into setting it up.  So I'm cool either way on that, it does make managing the cap from an owner perspective more difficult.  Because it took me longer to make my own cuts adding 80 90 players only to turn around and drop 100 does sound crazy.

@EaglesPeteC 

To continue, I think the only way to really use the position group effectively is to only run a max of 7 rounds, I'd lean 6 because it still leaves teams with about 40 million to spend on free agency.  

3 minutes ago, ny92mike said:

1.  I'm fine with letting the owners pick and choose the amount of players they drop.  Some will want to keep more some less depending on how their team is currently structured. 

2. If the vote goes to this I'm good with it.  Either way works for me.  If you guys would rather draft individuals or a group.

3. You know I'm partial to the tcmd free agency system, and/or reducing the positional draft to only 6 rounds and either including a draft to sign some potential rookies or veterans (could include both) and let the free agency handle the rest I'm all about it.  Because I'd be all about just having the free agency handle the entire thing...lol.

11 minutes ago, SirA1 said:

If we stay with the Pos group draft format (Which I like), I would like the ability to cut 5th-7th rounders that are inherited from other teams drafts.

That's my biggest issue in that most of those guys don't make IRL rosters at the 53 man cuts.

The rule for not being able to release or trade rookies was mainly because I wasn't sure what to expect.  I didn't want everyone cutting all the cheap contracts because it would skew the top 51 at least that's what I feared.  

I was also nervous that top drafted players would get traded but after this run I'm open to allowing owners to cut who they want regardless what round they were drafted.

It doesn't sound like we are looking to move past this draft for this test run and I understand that.  

So I'm going to officially end it here.  I appreciate you guys playing along.  

I'm going to start working on new workbooks for the official sim scheduled to start somewhere in Sept. 

You guys know I beg for feedback, it's what built TCMD so I hope to continue getting feedback as I work on this stuff.

I also hope that some of you will step up and help out with various task along the way, I can't do this alone and would hate and I mean hate to limit this sim because the help isn't there.

Again, thanks for joining me in testing this stuff out.  I know that this was a rough time to run this and that I took up a lot of your time during the summer.

Also, wanna give a big THANKS to @samsel23 as he was a huge help in updating the main workbook.

Please keep the discussion going!  Very important that I get a solid layout of how this is all going to work before making the workbooks to manage it all.

In terms of the simulated season.

I'm going to work out a system that allows you to mark or list out which players you'll be starting and depth for this simulation.  I'll do my best to make it work but know that any system I create isn't going to be perfect, if it were I'd be making some real money doing it...ha.

If there is anything I can do on the team workbook side with the sliders let me know.

My idea is to not make the simulated standings, like we see now public during the off-season and then private during the regular and post season schedule.  I actually like reviewing it as I add players to my roster to see what helps or hurts.

Sadly, I'm looking at a 2 win season in this season...one more than this year's irl season...haha.

Also, I'll be looking to refine the simulation where I can.  Not making any promises that it's any better than what I've got now but I'll try.

If anyone wants to help out with this project let me know, if not then I don't wanna here it later on.

giphy.gif

Edited by ny92mike