2020 NBA Draft Thread

NYRaider

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

When was the last time an All-Star level player even came out of UNC though? The main reason UNC was so bad last season was because Cole wasn't even close to as good as advertised. You gave RJ Barrett so much crap as a prospect for his inefficiency. Cole shot under .400 and averaged like 4 TO per game. Someone posted it in this thread earlier but it's very rare that a guy is as inefficient in college as Cole was and goes on to be a good NBA player. 

Trae Young shot 39% and committed 6 turnovers per game against the Big 12. 42% and 5 overall. Regardless, I don't care about college stats. I've stated this a thousand times. Cole's game is tailor made for the NBA. 

Barrett also looked like **** playing with a so-called generational teammate. It was less with how his stats looked rather how he looked. He made terrible decisions routinely on a very talented Duke squad. The comparison with Anthony isn't even remotely similar.

The main reason UNC was bad was because the team flat out wasn't talented and Roy did a piss poor job coaching. Cole was the least of the problems. 

5 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Trae Young shot 39% and committed 6 turnovers per game against the Big 12. 42% and 5 overall. Regardless, I don't care about college stats. I've stated this a thousand times. Cole's game is tailor made for the NBA. 

Barrett also looked like **** playing with a so-called generational teammate. It was less with how his stats looked rather how he looked. He made terrible decisions routinely on a very talented Duke squad. The comparison with Anthony isn't even remotely similar.

The main reason UNC was bad was because the team flat out wasn't talented and Roy did a piss poor job coaching. Cole was the least of the problems. 

Cole Anthony got his lunch ate by Tre Jones. Dude is the next Austin Rivers. 

Just now, beekay414 said:

Oh look, you went back to doing what you do. Great convo. Can't wait to do it again.

Lmao. But realistically I don't think Cole will be good at the next level. He struggled to score in the paint, is a good but not great shooter, and had an almost 1:1 assist to turnover ratio. I understand UNC lacked talent last year but he still didn't play well. His lack of ability to consistently get into the paint and finish looks is going to force him to take tough shots and be a volume scorer in the league. He's not really a true point guard because he doesn't create a ton of looks or get others involved. He's a tweener guard and I think a realistic comparison for him is someone like Jerryd Bayless. He'll have some good games but his style of play just isn't going to be able to consistently get him buckets in the league. 

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

Lmao. But realistically I don't think Cole will be good at the next level. He struggled to score in the paint, is a good but not great shooter, and had an almost 1:1 assist to turnover ratio. I understand UNC lacked talent last year but he still didn't play well. His lack of ability to consistently get into the paint and finish looks is going to force him to take tough shots and be a volume scorer in the league. He's not really a true point guard because he doesn't create a ton of looks or get others involved. He's a tweener guard and I think a realistic comparison for him is someone like Jerryd Bayless. He'll have some good games but his style of play just isn't going to be able to consistently get him buckets in the league. 

We'll see. Let's see what he does when he's in a situation where he has actual talent around him and isn't facing a collapsed paint because his teammates flat out can't shoot. You give him spacing, he gets to the hoop at will. The defense is always tougher and spacing is always worse in college than the NBA. I'm biased because kid got a raw deal at UNC and I absolutely hate how Roy handled it. Our half court offense was some high school JV level coaching. I want to see what Cole can do in a better situation, flat out. 

I'm not worried about him whatsoever. I just laugh at people that think players like Tyrese Haliburton and Obi Toppin have higher upsides than he does.

1 minute ago, beekay414 said:

We'll see. Let's see what he does when he's in a situation where he has actual talent around him and isn't facing a collapsed paint because his teammates flat out can't shoot. You give him spacing, he gets to the hoop at will. The defense is always tougher and spacing is always worse in college than the NBA. I'm biased because kid got a raw deal at UNC and I absolutely hate how Roy handled it. Our half court offense was some high school JV level coaching. I want to see what Cole can do in a better situation, flat out. 

I'm not worried about him whatsoever. I just laugh at people that think players like Tyrese Haliburton and Obi Toppin have higher upsides than he does.

I don't think Haliburton has a higher upside but he definitely has a higher floor. Cole could be a poor man's CJ or he could be Bayless. I think Haliburton can be at least like a Lonzo Ball / Ricky Rubio type of player in the league. That's not in high demand but he'll stick in the league and be a solid glue guy. 

35 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

to be fair, wouldn't that be a lot of the so called experts??

I've been tinkering with my mock, so here we go:

1. Minnesota Timberwolves - Anthony Edwards | WING | Georgia
2. Golden State Warriors - Isaac Okoro | WING | Auburn
3. Charlotte Hornets - LaMelo Ball | PG | Illawarra
4. Chicago Bulls - Devin Vassell | WING | Florida State
5. Cleveland Cavaliers - Onyeka Okongwu | BIG | USC
6. Atlanta Hawks - Tyrese Haliburton | G | Iowa State
7. Detroit Pistons - James Wiseman | BIG | Memphis
8. New York Knicks - Deni Avdija | F | Maccabi Tel Aviv
9. Washington Wizards - Tyrese Maxey | G | Kentucky 
10. Phoenix Suns - Patrick Williams | F | Florida State
11. San Antonio Spurs - Killian Hayes | G | Ulm
12. Sacramento Kings - Obi Toppin | BIG | Dayton
13. New Orleans Pelicans - Aaron Nesmith | WING | Vanderbilt
14. Boston Celtics (via MEM) - Jaden McDaniels | F | Washington
15. Orlando Magic - Cole Anthony | PG | North Carolina
16. Portland Trail Blazers - Saddiq Bey | WING | Villanova
17. Minnesota Timberwolves (via BKN) - Precious Achiuwa | F | Memphis
18. Dallas Mavericks - Josh Green | WING | Arizona
19. Brooklyn Nets (via PHI) - Aleksej Pokusevski | F | Olympiacos
20. Miami Heat - Grant Riller | G | Charleston
21. Philadelphia 76ers (via OKC) - Kira Lewis Jr | PG | Alabama
22. Denver Nuggets (via HOU) - Jay Scrubb | WING | John Logan College 
23. Utah Jazz - Leandro Bolmaro | WING | Barcelona
24. Milwaukee Bucks (via IND) - Desmond Bane | WING | TCU
25. Oklahoma City Thunder (via DEN) -Paul Reed | BIG | DePaul
26. Boston Celtics - Theo Maledon | G | ASVEL
27. New York Knicks (via LAC) - Jahmi'us Ramsey | G | Texas Tech
28. Los Angeles Lakers - Nico Mannion | PG | Arizona
29. Toronto Raptors - Tyrell Terry | PG | Stanford
30. Boston Celtics (via MIL) - Zeke Nnanji | BIG | Duke

Big Takeaways: I have gone from someone who didn't even Rank Okoro a few months ago, to viewing him as one of the better prospects in this class. Objectively speaking, he is the best defender in this class, and his burgeoning playmaking ability makes him a really good fit with the shooters in GS.  

I think Edwards to MINN is a done deal, the only player I see them taking instead of Edwards is OO. The seal up their draft buy adding Precious. Achiuwa, Culver, Edwards, Okogie, Russell, and Towns is a core with high-upside and potential high end role players. They should be super happy about that moving forward (especially if Edwards can become a good defender) 

The Pistons are ecstatic about landing Wiseman at 7, which could be the biggest steal of the draft. I think Wiseman is the best player in this draft, and at worst I think he's Clint Capela w/ pop potential. 

Hayes falls into San Antonio's lap. They get the new age Manu to play with an Pop decides to stick around for his development. 

The Cavs are the big winners of the top 5 with OO falling into their lap.

Vassell goes top 5 to the Bulls. I think Bulls fans would be unhappy with a "low upside player" but Vassell is going to be really good on both sides of the ball. Also when he adds some go-to dribble moves, he will be hard to match with his length and athleticism. Also his floor is super high and he fits exactly what they need, defense. His ceiling is higher than perceived by most as well, or at least I think so. 

Hawks go Haliburton over Deni because of their long list of talented wings on the roster, Haliburton adds Defense, shooting, and a secondary playmaker next to Trae. I think this is a really good pick, and a match made in heaven. (Especially if they can't trade up for Edwards). 

The Knicks get Deni. A 6'9" combo forward who can handle the ball, pass, score, rebound, and defend at above average levels. A RJ/Deni/Mitch core is an exciting front court, and one I think Thibs will love to work with. Adding Ramsey with 27 is a huge boon for the Knicks, he's another player who projects at worst as a good microwave 6th man and a good PoA defender. Every team needs those. 

Poku goes to Brooklyn in hopes a team like Chicago/Washington wants his perceived unicorn upside in a LaVine/Beal trade.

Speaking of Washington, they go Maxey. Who I think is being severely underrated by the scouts everywhere. He's a really good scorer and his handles improved more and more as the season wore on. At best I think he's a taller longer Lou Williams, that has the ability to match any guard in the league with his D. 

LaMelo in Charlotte is happening. The Knicks will probably move Randle + Mavs 2021 for Rozier. 

Edited by YogiBiz

8 hours ago, beekay414 said:

This is exactly what NYRaider kept saying about Barrett last year--that Barrett had no spacing and that Coach K did a **** job coaching. He'd look much more like HS Barrett once he had NBA spacing.

It turns out that Barrett was total **** bc of his jumper, and he has worse spacing now than he did at Duke. It all depends on which team drfats him.

Edited by redsoxsuck05

2 hours ago, YogiBiz said:

I've been tinkering with my mock, so here we go:

1. Minnesota Timberwolves - Anthony Edwards | WING | Georgia
2. Golden State Warriors - Isaac Okoro | WING | Auburn
3. Charlotte Hornets - LaMelo Ball | PG | Illawarra
4. Chicago Bulls - Devin Vassell | WING | Florida State
5. Cleveland Cavaliers - Onyeka Okongwu | BIG | USC
6. Atlanta Hawks - Tyrese Haliburton | G | Iowa State
7. Detroit Pistons - James Wiseman | BIG | Memphis
8. New York Knicks - Deni Avdija | F | Maccabi Tel Aviv
9. Washington Wizards - Tyrese Maxey | G | Kentucky 
10. Phoenix Suns - Patrick Williams | F | Florida State
11. San Antonio Spurs - Killian Hayes | G | Ulm
12. Sacramento Kings - Obi Toppin | BIG | Dayton
13. New Orleans Pelicans - Aaron Nesmith | WING | Vanderbilt
14. Boston Celtics (via MEM) - Jaden McDaniels | F | Washington
15. Orlando Magic - Cole Anthony | PG | North Carolina
16. Portland Trail Blazers - Saddiq Bey | WING | Villanova
17. Minnesota Timberwolves (via BKN) - Precious Achiuwa | F | Memphis
18. Dallas Mavericks - Josh Green | WING | Arizona
19. Brooklyn Nets (via PHI) - Aleksej Pokusevski | F | Olympiacos
20. Miami Heat - Grant Riller | G | Charleston
21. Philadelphia 76ers (via OKC) - Kira Lewis Jr | PG | Alabama
22. Denver Nuggets (via HOU) - Jay Scrubb | WING | John Logan College 
23. Utah Jazz - Leandro Bolmaro | WING | Barcelona
24. Milwaukee Bucks (via IND) - Desmond Bane | WING | TCU
25. Oklahoma City Thunder (via DEN) -Paul Reed | BIG | DePaul
26. Boston Celtics - Theo Maledon | G | ASVEL
27. New York Knicks (via LAC) - Jahmi'us Ramsey | G | Texas Tech
28. Los Angeles Lakers - Nico Mannion | PG | Arizona
29. Toronto Raptors - Tyrell Terry | PG | Stanford
30. Boston Celtics (via MIL) - Zeke Nnanji | BIG | Duke

Big Takeaways: I have gone from someone who didn't even Rank Okoro a few months ago, to viewing him as one of the better prospects in this class. Objectively speaking, he is the best defender in this class, and his burgeoning playmaking ability makes him a really good fit with the shooters in GS.  

I think Edwards to MINN is a done deal, the only player I see them taking instead of Edwards is OO. The seal up their draft buy adding Precious. Achiuwa, Culver, Edwards, Okogie, Russell, and Towns is a core with high-upside and potential high end role players. They should be super happy about that moving forward (especially if Edwards can become a good defender) 

The Pistons are ecstatic about landing Wiseman at 7, which could be the biggest steal of the draft. I think Wiseman is the best player in this draft, and at worst I think he's Clint Capela w/ pop potential. 

Hayes falls into San Antonio's lap. They get the new age Manu to play with an Pop decides to stick around for his development. 

The Cavs are the big winners of the top 5 with OO falling into their lap.

Vassell goes top 5 to the Bulls. I think Bulls fans would be unhappy with a "low upside player" but Vassell is going to be really good on both sides of the ball. Also when he adds some go-to dribble moves, he will be hard to match with his length and athleticism. Also his floor is super high and he fits exactly what they need, defense. His ceiling is higher than perceived by most as well, or at least I think so. 

Hawks go Haliburton over Deni because of their long list of talented wings on the roster, Haliburton adds Defense, shooting, and a secondary playmaker next to Trae. I think this is a really good pick, and a match made in heaven. (Especially if they can't trade up for Edwards). 

The Knicks get Deni. A 6'9" combo forward who can handle the ball, pass, score, rebound, and defend at above average levels. A RJ/Deni/Mitch core is an exciting front court, and one I think Thibs will love to work with. Adding Ramsey with 27 is a huge boon for the Knicks, he's another player who projects at worst as a good microwave 6th man and a good PoA defender. Every team needs those. 

Poku goes to Brooklyn in hopes a team like Chicago/Washington wants his perceived unicorn upside in a LaVine/Beal trade.

Speaking of Washington, they go Maxey. Who I think is being severely underrated by the scouts everywhere. He's a really good scorer and his handles improved more and more as the season wore on. At best I think he's a taller longer Lou Williams, that has the ability to match any guard in the league with his D. 

LaMelo in Charlotte is happening. The Knicks will probably move Randle + Mavs 2021 for Rozier. 

Zero chance that Hayes falls that far down the board. 

37 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Zero chance that Hayes falls that far down the board. 

I mean it's certainly possible. For him to really go top 5 in this draft, teams would have to by his right hand improving first and foremost. Secondly, you have to believe the rest of his skills catch up with his passing, because, while promising, he's still not a great shooter. I think San Antonio is his floor, and I wouldn't be surprised given his athletic limitations other faults. Also this notion that he's a good defender needs to stop, he tries hard yes, but he's not good, and I don't think he'll be average in that regard.