~~//~~ Pro Wrestling: Road to Wrestlemania ~~\\~~

Adrenaline_Flux

On 2/16/2018 at 4:43 AM, pollino14 said:

Why do you believe he's overrated? I believe Okada is the best wrestler in the world, but Kenny would be in my top 5. 

Okada is the best wrestler in the world and to me is probably the closest thing we've seen to Kikuchi  since Kikuchi.

I'm a bit more traditionalist with regard to certain technical and performance things when it comes to in-ring performance (I'm not full-blown Cornette on this, but I do share a number of his criticisms) for Kenny:

- The facials are too over-the-top.  His facials are akin to when Shawn was obsessed with Flair/Funk-selling way too much.

- His punches are terrible.  Call me old school, but if you can't throw a quality working punch (and Kenny doesn't, he throws these looping, side-angle forearms), you don't deserve to be anywhere near discussion of Top 5 anything.

- He does stupid crap in the middle of matches just to pop the crowd.  Take for example the bit with the cold-spray in the Alpha/Omega match.  This is a guy he's built us up to believe he hates and wants to leave laying, but when he uses the spray to Jericho's eyes to gain an advantage, not only does he not follow up and actually take it to Jericho while he's blinded, he goes out of his way to point out that the spray is a gimmick by spraying his hair and his nards with it.

- His promos, while generally well-paced and well-written, are overacted and not helped by the sound of his voice (I know he can't necessarily help that, but it affects his believability).

In short, the bit where I think Corny really hits it on the head (and I disagree with him when he says this about some guys, but with regard to Kenny and the Bucks it hits home): He's a guy playing a pro wrestler (or what he thinks a pro wrestler is), rather than just being a pro wrestler.  Compare him up against Adam Cole, Jay Lethal, or Davey Richards and I'll take any of the three over Kenny.

On 2/16/2018 at 8:33 AM, Pastor Dillon said:

Lesnar isnt really a heel is he? He is kind of the ultimate neutral guy. He never cheats, because he doesnt need to, the fans love him. Hes that rare brutally dominate face. 

Miz and Elias are both good workers and great talkers. Miz has been building so much since his feud with Daniel Bryon, but they dont let him win enough. I have noticed that he has been winning pretty close to cleanly lately, about as clean as they are going to let a heel win. Pinning Reigns for the IC belt after just a turnbuckle pad removal was a big deal. 

The problem has been that Lesnar has been booked as so dominate that only Stroman or Reigns is really a credible threat. Joe had a good feud going with him, but it didnt last that long. Guys like MIz and Elias are not legit threats to a guy like Lesnar, but they could be to anyone else. WWE really needs to take the belt off Lesnar for while. 

The Raw belt will always be the "main" wwe belt, regardless of what they call it, and Lesnar has held it for a full year come maina, and hes barely defended it:

Wrestlemania 33: Lesnar Defeats Goldberg in 4:45 

Payback: No Lesnar

Extreme Rules: No Lesnar

Great Balls of Fire: Lesnar defeats Joe in 6:25

Summer Slam: Lesnar defeats Joe, Reigns, Stroman in 20:45 (A portion of which Lesnar was out on a stretcher)

No Mercy: Lesnar defeats Stroman in 9:00

TLC: No Lesnar

Survivor Series: Lesnar defeats Styles non title match in 15:25

Royal Rumble: Lesnar defeats Kane and Stroman in 10:55

Elimination Chamber: No Lesnar

The WWE UNiversal Champion will have held the belt a full year and only defended in 4 and only wrestled 6 matches totaling about 70 minutes. A year with 4 title defenses. I wouldnt mind with the talent the WWE has, to see 3 or 4 champions in a years time, but to see the belt defended 4 times? That is crazy.

but then look at how Roman Reigns has been booked over the last year:

Wrestlemania 33: Main Event defeating Undertaker

Payback: Main event losing to Braun Stroman

Extreme Rules: Main Event loss in fatal 5 way match with Joe, Balor, Wyatt and Rollins

Great Balls of Fire: Ambulance match loss to Stroman, but ended the night destroyed Stroman

Summer Slam: Main even loss in Fatal 4 way with Lesnar, Joe, Stroman

No Mercy: Defeated John Cena

TLC: Missed with Sickness, but was booked in Main Event

Survivor Series: Missed with Sickness, but would have been booked in main event

Royal Rumble: Last man eliminated

Elimination chamber: Main Event

Reigns has basically been the main event star this year, but has been booked in a way to keep him somewhat weak, the perfect year long set up for a Wrestlemania win, especially the way they brought the Shiled back together, it was a perfect way to do it, even if sickness to reigns and injury to Ambrose cost the group the time it did.

The best thing they could do is to have Rollins show up and help Reigns defeat Lesnar, embrace the booing with a heel turn for both Reigns and Rollins. Its is what is best, recreate the dominate heel faction that the WWE has been missing for a while. 

They want Reigns to be The Rock, but he needs to be HHH. 

I don't think you turn both Reigns AND Rollins.  If anything, if you turn Reigns, you have to keep Rollins babyface - because he's damn near that elite babyface status right now.

The one they need to turn heel is Finn - and they need to move that heel Finn to Smackdown where there are a ton of fresh feuds for him (Orton, AJ, Nakamura, eventually Rusev, hell even Kofi).  Finn's heel work in the "Prince is Dead"/early Bullet Club/"The Real Rock'n'Rolla" period in NJPW was damn near flawless.

I've been saying this for a while now, but if you want to make Roman the leader of heel faction, get the belts off the Usos and move them to RAW (they're basically back to being heels again anyway - or at least they're promoing like heels even if they are working in the ring like heels), and let them take up the old moniker of their family: "The Samoan SWAT Team."

17 hours ago, Pastor Dillon said:

The 7 men in the elimination chamber are going to have a gauntlet match on raw. What the heck is the point of that?

"Goddamnit!  Seven is an odd number.  How are we supposed to book the Elimination Chamber guys in matches against each other for our go-home RAW?"

"Maybe we put them all in some kind of gimmick match?"

"We'll do a GAUNTLET MATCH!"

"But, Vince, the way we've booked Braun and Roman, one of them will have to come in last and the other has to come in first and destroy everyone else which makes 5 of the superstars look weak..."

"GAAAAAAAAUUUNTLET MATCH!"

22 hours ago, The LBC said:

Okada is the best wrestler in the world and to me is probably the closest thing we've seen to Kikuchi  since Kikuchi.

I'm a bit more traditionalist with regard to certain technical and performance things when it comes to in-ring performance (I'm not full-blown Cornette on this, but I do share a number of his criticisms) for Kenny:

- The facials are too over-the-top.  His facials are akin to when Shawn was obsessed with Flair/Funk-selling way too much.

- His punches are terrible.  Call me old school, but if you can't throw a quality working punch (and Kenny doesn't, he throws these looping, side-angle forearms), you don't deserve to be anywhere near discussion of Top 5 anything.

- He does stupid crap in the middle of matches just to pop the crowd.  Take for example the bit with the cold-spray in the Alpha/Omega match.  This is a guy he's built us up to believe he hates and wants to leave laying, but when he uses the spray to Jericho's eyes to gain an advantage, not only does he not follow up and actually take it to Jericho while he's blinded, he goes out of his way to point out that the spray is a gimmick by spraying his hair and his nards with it.

- His promos, while generally well-paced and well-written, are overacted and not helped by the sound of his voice (I know he can't necessarily help that, but it affects his believability).

In short, the bit where I think Corny really hits it on the head (and I disagree with him when he says this about some guys, but with regard to Kenny and the Bucks it hits home): He's a guy playing a pro wrestler (or what he thinks a pro wrestler is), rather than just being a pro wrestler.  Compare him up against Adam Cole, Jay Lethal, or Davey Richards and I'll take any of the three over Kenny.

I don’t know why he does the thing with his voice, his regular voice sounds so much better.

Kenny certainly can be corny sometimes too. 

In ring though, he’s top tier. I’m personally real high on Lethal and Cole, so if you think they’re better I don’t agree but can see it. Richards on the other hand, I can’t do 

18 minutes ago, pollino14 said:

I don’t know why he does the thing with his voice, his regular voice sounds so much better.

Kenny certainly can be corny sometimes too. 

In ring though, he’s top tier. I’m personally real high on Lethal and Cole, so if you think they’re better I don’t agree but can see it. Richards on the other hand, I can’t do 

Richards has slipped in recent years.  Honestly, his own tag team partner has probably surpassed him at this point.  But prime ROH Champion Davey had very, very few peers.

2 hours ago, The LBC said:

Richards has slipped in recent years.  Honestly, his own tag team partner has probably surpassed him at this point.  But prime ROH Champion Davey had very, very few peers.

Eddie Edwards is one of the worst mic guys I’ve ever heard.

Honestly, enjoy them more as a tag team.

Has anyone watched any Impact lately? 

1 hour ago, pollino14 said:

Impact has been so horrible. And like any good train wreck, I have to check it out.

Aries is champ, and theyre saying they will build the new Impact off him.

Lashley had a face turn and seems to be buddies with Eddie Edwards cause of it.

Kiera Hogan (who should be in NXT) is on there now. Shes a great young female prospect coming out the Indys, Think shes just 23.

Rosemary.... My goodness. Consistently to me the most watchable segments on Impact. And its def not for looks. She just is doing everything so well atm. Most complete package they have, better than Eli and all recently. WWE needs that woman bad. Heel Charlotte vs, anti-villain Rosemary fued would be the best womens feud they ever had.

8 hours ago, PARROTHEAD said:

Impact has been so horrible. And like any good train wreck, I have to check it out.

Aries is champ, and theyre saying they will build the new Impact off him.

Lashley had a face turn and seems to be buddies with Eddie Edwards cause of it.

Kiera Hogan (who should be in NXT) is on there now. Shes a great young female prospect coming out the Indys, Think shes just 23.

Rosemary.... My goodness. Consistently to me the most watchable segments on Impact. And its def not for looks. She just is doing everything so well atm. Most complete package they have, better than Eli and all recently. WWE needs that woman bad. Heel Charlotte vs, anti-villain Rosemary fued would be the best womens feud they ever had.

That’s a shame, their roster looks pretty good. Huge Callahan and Cage fan.

17 hours ago, pollino14 said:

I've tried... I've never made it through a full episode.  Maybe once it's had enough time for Cyrus and DiAmore to have made wholesale changes I'll check back, but the halves of episodes I was seeing were constantly one step forward, three steps back.  They were dead set on running at a full sprint before they could really walk well - and it ended up driving away a vast amount of their most marketable talent.  And now that they've driven Borash away (who I think is going to end up being a big get for WWE), I think they're really going to struggle because while Cyrus has a fair booking mind, I fear we're looking at something that's going to be akin to the dying days of ECW where they're trying to be something they're just not capable of anymore because they're left with (barring a few) pushing guys that not a lot of people take seriously.

50 minutes ago, Texansfan713 said:

WOW..Jeff Jarrett in the HOF.  Didnt expect that one.  I thought he was G-O-O-N-N-EE ?

It seems like every year we're going to get an induction into the "We Paid for Your Rehab" wing of the HOF.

Archived