~~//~~ Pro Wrestling: Road to Wrestlemania ~~\\~~

Adrenaline_Flux

1 hour ago, The LBC said:

There's plenty of stuff they've done that would be "shocking" if people stayed off the damn dirtsheets and podcasts and just watched the shows week to week like the majority of folks during the AE were doing.

Maybe if you want to be shocked... don't go on social media or read spoilers online.

It was just as bad during the AE. But where I grew up, wed have 20 head per ppv show up to watch. With the net being new and everyone using it, but there were so many theories and such tossed around back then. Unpredictability was still there. Today, anyone that remotely watched the slightest bit knew for the past year+ a repeat of Brock-Roman was coming to main event mania. And any ppv in between was going to have Brock win and keep it till Mania.

All their top superstars have a nothingness but a matchup itself to look forward too. Not much happening storywise whatsoever. The only real storyline happening is HHH/Steph-Angle/Ronda basically.

6 minutes ago, Ketchup said:

Kinda off topic, but I was watching a random episode of Raw during the AE, was the episode where Austin and Kane throw Paul Bearer down a sewer, and wow was it a shock. JR made a joke about Teri Runnels being used to going low after giving Val Venus a low blow. King calling the girls ho's. All the stuff between Taker and Austin. Mostly how they treated the women though. Was rather disgusting to listen to to be honest after being used to how the women are presented now. I grow up watching the AE and look back on it as a pillar of my childhood but I wouldn't want that kind of wrestling back at all. As an adult, I much prefer the product today. 

I prefer that product. Sex sells, and segments with Sable and/or Torrie and such were always the highest rated WWE ever had. Not saying they couldnt tone it down a bit from back then, but the divas and personalities then are all over top whats there today. Stories like Molly being a prude, and Torrie modeling. With Molly always angry and complaining to Torrie basically for that feud. Molly showing up to Torries photo shoots and such. Even being a minor sidebar of a feud, the feud still brought story and personality to the show that isnt being done today. Today for example, we get Paige with a 10 second talk to the ring, a match happening, then your basic bad guy attack after the bell. Thats all the feuds are anymore. Like Bailey and Sansa arnt getting near the amount of proper time to have pushed whatever theyre trying to pull off properly for viewers.

1 hour ago, Ketchup said:

Kinda off topic, but I was watching a random episode of Raw during the AE, was the episode where Austin and Kane throw Paul Bearer down a sewer, and wow was it a shock. JR made a joke about Teri Runnels being used to going low after giving Val Venus a low blow. King calling the girls ho's. All the stuff between Taker and Austin. Mostly how they treated the women though. Was rather disgusting to listen to to be honest after being used to how the women are presented now. I grow up watching the AE and look back on it as a pillar of my childhood but I wouldn't want that kind of wrestling back at all. As an adult, I much prefer the product today. 

The post attitude era was a really really bad product, i guess depending on what dates you define the era with, but you are right about the AE's treatment of woman 

4 hours ago, PARROTHEAD said:

I prefer that product. Sex sells, and segments with Sable and/or Torrie and such were always the highest rated WWE ever had. Not saying they couldnt tone it down a bit from back then, but the divas and personalities then are all over top whats there today. Stories like Molly being a prude, and Torrie modeling. With Molly always angry and complaining to Torrie basically for that feud. Molly showing up to Torries photo shoots and such. Even being a minor sidebar of a feud, the feud still brought story and personality to the show that isnt being done today. Today for example, we get Paige with a 10 second talk to the ring, a match happening, then your basic bad guy attack after the bell. Thats all the feuds are anymore. Like Bailey and Sansa arnt getting near the amount of proper time to have pushed whatever theyre trying to pull off properly for viewers.

You prefer that product, but I don't know if you've noticed... there are a considerable amount more female fans than there used to be (and I'm not talking rats in the territory days).  Women and little girls are more prominent in crowds and viewership now than they were in the past and particularly during the AE.  The fact that "the primary role of the woman in the industry is to be a sex-object" philosophy will alienate a majority of the female audience as well as (and in a way also directly tied to that) the fact that they're a publicly traded company now that pulls a ton of their gross off of corporate partnerships and sponsors just flat out tells that they're pretty much never going to walk that path again.

15 minutes ago, The LBC said:

You prefer that product, but I don't know if you've noticed... there are a considerable amount more female fans than there used to be (and I'm not talking rats in the territory days).  Women and little girls are more prominent in crowds and viewership now than they were in the past and particularly during the AE.  The fact that "the primary role of the woman in the industry is to be a sex-object" philosophy will alienate a majority of the female audience as well as (and in a way also directly tied to that) the fact that they're a publicly traded company now that pulls a ton of their gross off of corporate partnerships and sponsors just flat out tells that they're pretty much never going to walk that path again.

https://deadspin.com/study-the-median-age-of-tv-wrestling-viewers-has-nearl-1795864450

The adv age of viewers doubles. And you want to stick with a formula thats proven over the past 15 years does not work. With the end result being the garbage we have on now. New Day tossing pancakes around, Roman and Cena pushed as superman, and women wrestlers that zero skill except a little in the ring. Outside Charlotte and Bliss, none could carry a feud as good as the Divas in the past did. None can match Molly Torrie, Molly Trish, Lita Trish, Dawn Torrie and all those feuds. What they have is not working cause they want all women to be thought of as wrestlers, not the entertainers they should be.

On 3/7/2018 at 8:21 AM, DawgX said:

What's with them throwing up a bunch of words on the screen when wrestlers are doing promos? It looks stupid as hell, IMO.

This may be my biggest complaint about the current product. It just looks so bad. Not natural and really generic, garbage font in all caps. I can't understand who possibly thought it was needed.

38 minutes ago, PARROTHEAD said:

https://deadspin.com/study-the-median-age-of-tv-wrestling-viewers-has-nearl-1795864450

The adv age of viewers doubles. And you want to stick with a formula thats proven over the past 15 years does not work. With the end result being the garbage we have on now. New Day tossing pancakes around, Roman and Cena pushed as superman, and women wrestlers that zero skill except a little in the ring. Outside Charlotte and Bliss, none could carry a feud as good as the Divas in the past did. None can match Molly Torrie, Molly Trish, Lita Trish, Dawn Torrie and all those feuds. What they have is not working cause they want all women to be thought of as wrestlers, not the entertainers they should be.

And this current media market isn't the media market of the 90's.  Sorry, but increased viewers isn't going to equate to increased profits in this market.  I'm trying to avoid taking this to a political standpoint, but it's a harsh reality.

13 minutes ago, titans0021 said:

This may be my biggest complaint about the current product. It just looks so bad. Not natural and really generic, garbage font in all caps. I can't understand who possibly thought it was needed.

They're trying too hard to mimic/incorporate social media.  Like, I get that "it's an increase in market-share," but short of the streaming stuff and ads, they really should be trying to distance themselves from the thing that's served as the biggest tool to making their business suffer (the internet) as possible.  Maybe not that extreme, but close.

What's sad is the best actual storyline they have going right now isn't even being aired/shown on one of their TV programs... it's on Facebook Live (i.e. the Braun/Alexa sexual tension stuff).

5 hours ago, The LBC said:

What's sad is the best actual storyline they have going right now isn't even being aired/shown on one of their TV programs... it's on Facebook Live (i.e. the Braun/Alexa sexual tension stuff).

This post made me go and watch the Braun/Alexa "episodes" of the MMC. You're definitely right, it's the most entertaining story the E is currently putting out. Legit had me laughing out loud at points, which is real, real rare with the E's scripted humor.

14 hours ago, The LBC said:

And this current media market isn't the media market of the 90's.  Sorry, but increased viewers isn't going to equate to increased profits in this market.  I'm trying to avoid taking this to a political standpoint, but it's a harsh reality.

beyond that, i have literally no idea this dude's obsession with baywatch babes in wrestling, women in wrestling have never ever even been in the same STRATUSPHERE as they are now with a few exceptions obviously, but on the whole, it's in uncharted territory

45 minutes ago, Troy Brown said:

beyond that, i have literally no idea this dude's obsession with baywatch babes in wrestling, women in wrestling have never ever even been in the same STRATUSPHERE as they are now with a few exceptions obviously, but on the whole, it's in uncharted territory

Its not about just having divas like the old. Take Mandy Rose current gimmick of thinking shes a goddess. Shes wasting that away being stuck behind Paige saying a few words, followed by a match and some beatdown, same thing week after week with no story. It would make a cool storyline to use her in the Molly/Torrie feud way. Have her modeling and doing this other stuff. With a couple of the other divas like maybe Bailey Mickey or such complaining and feuding with her about how far womens wrestling has come and think shes dragging them down. Im not saying they need gravy bowl, B&P, paddle on pole matches. But they can use sexuality in a positive, strong way. Much like you mentioned Baywatch, they did. Life saving, heroic hotties that didnt insult women.

And youre wrong. Trish, Lita, Jackie, Luna, Molly, Gail, Blayze, ECW women and such make a better group of in ring performers than there now. Gail and Mickey are both past prime and still hang with any out there today with total ease.

1 hour ago, PARROTHEAD said:

Its not about just having divas like the old. Take Mandy Rose current gimmick of thinking shes a goddess. Shes wasting that away being stuck behind Paige saying a few words, followed by a match and some beatdown, same thing week after week with no story. It would make a cool storyline to use her in the Molly/Torrie feud way. Have her modeling and doing this other stuff. With a couple of the other divas like maybe Bailey Mickey or such complaining and feuding with her about how far womens wrestling has come and think shes dragging them down. Im not saying they need gravy bowl, B&P, paddle on pole matches. But they can use sexuality in a positive, strong way. Much like you mentioned Baywatch, they did. Life saving, heroic hotties that didnt insult women.

And youre wrong. Trish, Lita, Jackie, Luna, Molly, Gail, Blayze, ECW women and such make a better group of in ring performers than there now. Gail and Mickey are both past prime and still hang with any out there today with total ease.

Say what?  The only girl in ECW that could work was Jazz (and that was literally because she was the only female graduate of the House of Hardcore wrestling school that Johnny Rodz used to run that Dreamer runs now); Beulah, Francine, Dawn Marie, etc. could take bumps because the guys were doing most of the work.

Also, you keep referring to Torrie "modelling."  What she modeled for was Playboy.  That's not happening in a publicly traded company that the WWE is now.  Molly (the prude... which was more than a "prude" she was playing a role specifically aimed at censorship) was also a heel back then.  Current corporate environment isn't going to mesh with them making the feminist the heel.  Hell, even Steph (whose been trying to play the biggest heel in the company) does a full 180 and acts it us as a babyface when she's playing the feminism/equal-opportunities stuff for the Women's Division.

10 hours ago, titans0021 said:

This post made me go and watch the Braun/Alexa "episodes" of the MMC. You're definitely right, it's the most entertaining story the E is currently putting out. Legit had me laughing out loud at points, which is real, real rare with the E's scripted humor.

It so is though.  They legitimately need to make them an on-screen couple - it will fill in that interim till Braun actually does get the belt really well and give him something.  And she doesn't even really have to flip babyface for it; he plays the dry comedy bit well enough that he can subtly trying to redeem her while she's subtly trying to corrupt him.

1 hour ago, The LBC said:

Say what?  The only girl in ECW that could work was Jazz (and that was literally because she was the only female graduate of the House of Hardcore wrestling school that Johnny Rodz used to run that Dreamer runs now); Beulah, Francine, Dawn Marie, etc. could take bumps because the guys were doing most of the work.

Also, you keep referring to Torrie "modelling."  What she modeled for was Playboy.  That's not happening in a publicly traded company that the WWE is now.  Molly (the prude... which was more than a "prude" she was playing a role specifically aimed at censorship) was also a heel back then.  Current corporate environment isn't going to mesh with them making the feminist the heel.  Hell, even Steph (whose been trying to play the biggest heel in the company) does a full 180 and acts it us as a babyface when she's playing the feminism/equal-opportunities stuff for the Women's Division.

Youre bringing up this other stuff. When I clearly gave an example of storytelling that could be used to bring some substance other than ring presence to the womens division. Which is the problem for the division. There is zero for them outside what they do at the ring. Like I said. For Raws heels. Paige talks to the ring, a match happens, an attack after to show theyre the heel. Then walk to the back to do the exact same thing again next week.

Archived