Packers Training Camp 2019

packfanfb

The versatility of the OLBs to move inside to create matchup problems is only a really good surprise of the space that edge defender is vacating can be covered.

The Packers seem to be moving to a longer, more athletic type of DL, guys who run alright and move a little better in space. It makes a lot of sense if they plan on bringing those OLBs inside. Naturally, the DL will have more space that he’s reaponsible in that situation so athletes like Lowry and Mont are better fits than Daniels. 

On top of age and Daniels recovering from injury and money, it seems like Pettine has a plan to mix things up more, up front, and the guys he has now are better fits. It’s one more factor. Versatility. They keep talking about it too so I’m just expanding on what versatility means. I’m not creating it out of thin air. 

2 hours ago, PACKRULE said:

You clearly know that the other poster is wrong

How can I be wrong when all I said was I'd rather watch a different sport than watching our DL run in coverage? It's my preference, I assure you it's right.

Anyway, as Norm said, I'm pretty sure Daniels wasn't cut because he runs somewhat slower than Lowry, which is an assumption to begin with since there is no official 40 yard for Daniels.

It's funny to see you rationalize everything to make it look like the Packers are doing the best job ever and everything is going according to plan when just two weeks ago you were raging about how Daniels was gonna be a pro bowler this year and calling people like Alex "less knowing" just because they disagreed with you.

2 hours ago, PossibleCabbage said:

I mean it should be abundantly clear why they moved on from Daniels- they wanted to spend that money on a younger, cheaper, healthier player. 90% of NFL personnel moves are based on the same premise.

"Ding, Ding, Dinggggggg"

And what parting gifts do we have for our other posters Johnny?  :)

20 minutes ago, Packer_ESP said:

I do like him. What does that have to do with my statement?

If I misread it I apologize, but its like you're saying we shouldn't have guys that can run in our system. Having guys like that are few and far between in the league.

43 minutes ago, Packer_ESP said:

How can I be wrong when all I said was I'd rather watch a different sport than watching our DL run in coverage? It's my preference, I assure you it's right.

Anyway, as Norm said, I'm pretty sure Daniels wasn't cut because he runs somewhat slower than Lowry, which is an assumption to begin with since there is no official 40 yard for Daniels.

It's funny to see you rationalize everything to make it look like the Packers are doing the best job ever and everything is going according to plan when just two weeks ago you were raging about how Daniels was gonna be a pro bowler this year and calling people like Alex "less knowing" just because they disagreed with you.

Huh I was bugging norm about borrats post. I didn’t rationalize anything just bugged norm for a better answer. Thanks for watching though. 

37 minutes ago, PACKRULE said:

Huh I was bugging norm about borrats post. I didn’t rationalize anything just bugged norm for a better answer. Thanks for watching though. 

My apologies, I actually thought Boratt posted that referring to me, nothing in my post was actually directed at you.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

46 minutes ago, Gopackgonerd said:

If I misread it I apologize, but its like you're saying we shouldn't have guys that can run in our system. Having guys like that are few and far between in the league.

No, I just meant that running / coverage should be a very secondary thing for the DL. Sure, it's great to have uber athletic guys there but I'd hope we're selecting them according to their pass rushing and run stopping abilities rather than their 40 yard dash.

1 hour ago, Packer_ESP said:

No, I just meant that running / coverage should be a very secondary thing for the DL. Sure, it's great to have uber athletic guys there but I'd hope we're selecting them according to their pass rushing and run stopping abilities rather than their 40 yard dash.

Oh of course, I doubt they're looking purely off their 40. 

Pettine said one day, he saw a play where montravius ran down a play and covered a lot of ground and he hasn’t seen that from him in the past. That’s what he wants to see. 

Montravius said one day now he has the conditioning to run down play after play. 

That shows me they want a guy at their DE positions that can run down plays.  Versatility. 

That versatility will be needed if they want to have unpredictability in their pass rush packages. The big OLB types can only move inside if The DL who will be responsible for the edge is going to be able to run down plays. Hence, I do expect those kinds of unpredictable fronts so we will see Z move inside while Mont is responsible for the edge as a Suprise up pettines sleeve. And then I said, it makes sense why moving to longer faster guys over Daniels because of some of the unpredictability it opens up. 

Anyone assuming i was writing a compete essay on why Daniels was released from all possible angles is just looking for a reason to be pissed off. And I enjoy coming up with fresh ideas instead of regurgitating what I see on TV so I don’t mind when people who are only capable of repeating someone else’s ideas get offended. If I’m not offending those types, I’m one of those types and with that I’m disappointed in myself. 

1 hour ago, boratt said:

Pettine said one day, he saw a play where montravius ran down a play and covered a lot of ground and he hasn’t seen that from him in the past. That’s what he wants to see. 

Montravius said one day now he has the conditioning to run down play after play. 

That shows me they want a guy at their DE positions that can run down plays.  Versatility. 

That versatility will be needed if they want to have unpredictability in their pass rush packages. The big OLB types can only move inside if The DL who will be responsible for the edge is going to be able to run down plays. Hence, I do expect those kinds of unpredictable fronts so we will see Z move inside while Mont is responsible for the edge as a Suprise up pettines sleeve. And then I said, it makes sense why moving to longer faster guys over Daniels because of some of the unpredictability it opens up. 

Anyone assuming i was writing a compete essay on why Daniels was released from all possible angles is just looking for a reason to be pissed off. And I enjoy coming up with fresh ideas instead of regurgitating what I see on TV so I don’t mind when people who are only capable of repeating someone else’s ideas get offended. If I’m not offending those types, I’m one of those types and with that I’m disappointed in myself. 

Run down plays. In the backfield.

When Adams is playing the RDE and the ball gets run to the offense's right in a zone look and everyone has to play horizontally down the line except for the backside DE who is usually unblocked. Adams isn't going to be doing any covering this year. If you could count on two hands the number of times that we dropped a DL into coverage last year, I wouldn't be surprised.

More importantly:

Why would Adams be in your pressure package with this roster?

Why are you worried about running down plays in the pressure package? 

Just got home today after spending this past week at TC and Family Night. My 2 cents on some position battles: 

1. QB -- we still have a problem at the No. 2 spot. Kizer is still struggling with this decision-making and while it's "only practice," he threw two picks (one tipped) at FN, and overall has had a pretty rough camp from what I have seen and heard. Moreover, it doesn't look like Boyle is seizing the opportunity to jump into the No. 2 spot. The preseason games will ultimately allow one of them to perhaps take a step forward, but right now, if 12 goes down for even 1-2 games, we'd probably need outstanding defensive performances to win...against any NFL team. 

2. RB -- During the early part of the week, got to see Jones and you can tell he put in the work on his body in the off-season. Looks lean and explosive. Negative is....once again, he's currently out with "hamstring tightness," the same problem that sidelined him for a while last TC. LaFleur said it was "precautionary" but Jones just seems to be one of those guys you walk around on pins and needles with hoping he's healthy from day-to-day. Here's hoping he can stay on the field because that's the only thing stopping him from a HUGE year. Williams has been out with a hammy so I got to see a lot of Dexter, Carson and Grant. Dexter is explosive, but hearing that he's coming along slowly with the mental part (consistency). AR said something similar about all of the RBs behind Jones/Williams and that they needed to "step up." Carson is intriguing and runs hard. With Grant you can definitely see the comfort he has catching the ball. He also lined up as the No. 1 KR during most of the ST periods FWIW. Not to forget our FB...Vitale is having a pretty strong camp. He's a natural pass catcher and all week was used a lot in the two-minute drill as the lone RB next to 12. Seems to have firm grasp on a roster spot. 

3. WR - probably the most interesting battles here. Here's my observation based on watching a week of practice: Kumerow isn't a bubble player, he's a LOCK. Also, J'Mon isn't making this team, not without one hell of a preseason showing. Right now, based on practice snaps in both individual drills and especially team, I'd guess the WR depth chart looks like this: 

1. Adams, 2(a). G-Mo, 2(b). MVS, 4. Kumerow, 5. ESB, 6. Davis, 7. Shepherd, 8(a). Moore, 8(b). Redding....then the rest (Lazard, Jawill, etc.) 

Through the first two weeks of TC, Kumerow is basically a "starter" on this team for the time being. All week he was playing 1st team snaps with Rodgers, and it culminated on FN when Adams sat out the 2-minute drill and the 1st team offense used a 3-WR set of MVS-Allison-Kumerow all the way down the field. Moreover, Kumerow has done nothing to lose his spot and continues to make play-after-play, against our 1st team CBs. Whether you agree with it or not, 12 simply trusts him more than anyone else in that room other than 17 and maybe G-Mo and it is patently obvious on the field even during something as simple as practice. Right now, it's pretty clear that our top 3 are Adams-Allison-MVS with Kumerow entrenched at 4 ahead of ESB. Davis comes in at No. 6 and is having his best TC as a WR to go along with the edge he brings as the primary PR. Sleeper alert: Darrius Shepherd. Watch this guy if you get the chance. He's uncoverable in short-area routes--he toasted Jaire for a TD in the red-zone on a little fake-out and in, and overall has been showing out through two weeks. We really don't have another guy like him on the roster, and if the Packers keep 7 (assuming everyone is healthy and decisions don't come down to injuries), right now at least, I pencil Shepherd in as the surprise No. 7. As for Moore, the guy just for whatever reason just cannot get much more than scout team reps. He's lucky to get snaps with Kizer at this point, and if you didn't know he was a 4th round pick, you probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference between him and guys like Redding and Jawill. It was a no-brainer to keep him last year and basically red-shirt him to give him a full off-season, but at what cost do you stash him on the 53 again? Honestly, depending on how his preseason goes, you might get him on the PS.  

4. TE - Really hope they find ways to get Graham going in this offense. He was kind of quiet this week at camp, but 12 found him a few times and it looks like they are still working on their connection. Really hope Lewis is still a good blocker because when I watched him run a passing route, I thought it was Justin McCray wearing 89....it's not pretty. Tonyan definitely has the inside track on the No. 2 TE spot IMO and will be very interesting to watch in the preseason. Arguably he might end up being out best "all-around" TE on the roster from a blocking/receiving standpoint. I was a little discouraged with Sternberger. Knew he wouldn't jump out immediately, but as a 3rd round pick, he looked a little more developmental than I'd like. Don't think we'll see much from him for the first half of the season, and it could even end up being a red-shirt year for him. It's early in camp so that we'll see. 

5. OL - another position with some great battles for the last few spots. First, at least through 2 weeks, it does not appear that Lane Taylor is going to be challenged for his LG spot. He's getting all of the 1st team reps and Jenkins doesn't appear close to pushing him for that spot. Hopefully that means Taylor looks good versus Jenkins looking bad. FWIW, the word is Jenkins is having a solid camp and held up well in the 1-on-1s I saw of him. Anyway, after our starting 5, assuming we keep 9 OL, I'd pencil in Jenkins (2nd round pick) as a lock and Spriggs and Light as "near" locks right now. Light gets bumped up a notch because we are light (no pun intended) at OT and Light has put together a good camp thus far. He's been handling a lot of 1st team work with Spriggs out and Bulaga on limited reps. The bigger battle is probably for the No. 9 position which probably comes down to Madison, McCray and Patrick. Patrick had an edge in the past because of his ability to play C, but Jenkins erases that need. From what I've seen/heard, Madison has had a good start to camp and could push out the two UDFA journeymen. 

6. DL - tried to watch a lot of Adams this week after the Daniels move. Nothing jumped out to me that was great or bad, but when you're watching live from the stands, it's hard to see what's happening in the trenches. Will be fun to watch him in the preseason games. Another guy I'm excited to watch in the preseason is Keke. Clark and Lowry look ready to go and Lancaster looks even bigger than last year (in a good way). 

7. OLB - never been so excited about a position. Za'Darius is a damn monster. He was a terror all week. Never seen a guy challenge Bakh in 1-on-1s and win with both power and technique (has a nice spin move) like Z did this past week. Guy has a presence as well. If he's not already a locker room leader for the defense, he'll be one soon. Preston hasn't had the same flash so far at TC, but I expected that. He's just a solid player. Sets the edge really well in the run game. Then there's Gary. He's been better than advertised. I was hoping he'd start getting more 1st team reps because our 2nd unit can't block the guy. He was living the back-field all week, whether against the run or pass. Had a few flash plays at FN as well for what would have been a TFL on a run play and a sack early in the team drills. Harness doesn't appear to be affecting him so far. Another guy who flashed a bit was Ramsey. I think he could push Gilbert for maybe that last OLB spot after Fackrell. 

Interestingly, I saw a pressure packages last night that included Gary-Z-Clark-Preston and Gary-Clark-Preston-Z. During the week, Gary lined up inside in certain packages as well. A lot of moving pieces. 

8. ILB - tried to watch a lot of Burks. Seemed to hold up well in the passing game and had a pretty good FN in that department. Again, from my vantage point it was tough to really watch him with his run fits because there's a lot of wash there. LaFleur did make a comment about wanting to see more consistency from Burks. FWIW, he does look a little bigger in the shoulders/arms area. The question is still whether he can hold up at the POA in the run game. We shall see. In terms of back-ups, I think Crawford will push for playing time this year other than STs. He's bigger and was running the 2nd team in Martinez's spot. I also like Summers and think he has a future here, but he needs a year in the weight room. Kind of reminds me of Martinez coming out of college. When you look at them side-by-side now, Martinez is twice his size. In terms of our hybrid guys, I saw Jones get some first team reps (when he wasn't being kicked out for fighting with Carson), and Greene as well. When Savage came back, in the walk-through at least, Savage and Amos manned the S positions while Greene slid down the third S/hybrid LB position. FWIW, Greene looked good at S and is definitely ahead of Jones in that department. 

9. CB - here's hoping King stays healthy because the King/Alexander combo is going to work. Both look good. Tramon in the slot (not sure if that's going to work against twitchy WRs). Sucks that Jackson has been out these first two weeks. Love Tony Brown and his fire. Guy is a mini-Jaire out there. Nice pick-6 against Kizer on FN. Think CB position only really comes down to the No. 6 spot and right now I think it's a battle between Hollman and Sullivan. Both stood out in coverage last week. Hollman probably has the edge as a draft pick, but Sullivan isn't just a camp body, he can play. 

10. Safety - didn't get to see Savage in any live play but he did return on a limited basis (basically doing individual drills and walk-throughs). During the team drills, Greene was back there with Amos. Sleeper here is Jamerson for the No. 4/5 spot. With Savage out, Jamerson was getting some first team reps with Amos and/or Greene.  

Archived