The Milwaukee Brewers Thread - CY Burnes, 2021 NL Central Champs

ramssuperbowl99

1 minute ago, SplashDive said:

Lol yeah seems like a guy that doesnt have a plus pitch but I don't know much about him

He's the low velocity, but good other stuff FB type pitcher that the Astros got a ton of mileage out of pre Cole/Verlander, and the guy we've targeted too.

I think we took him to be a 2 IP reliever type guy.

On 5/28/2019 at 11:52 AM, hrubes20 said:

Help a brother out.  Going to the Dells next week with the family and need to know the "can't miss" things to do with them.  We are already staying at a water park, so anything other than that.

I hope you aren't freezing.  I'm in GB right now and it is darn chilly - at least to me.

10 minutes ago, Fl0nkerton said:

In a gif. :

PassionateRectangularBrahmancow-small.gi

1. This was likely underslot. We'll spend our draft money, so it's a trade down.

2. Small threw 80% FB and struck out 15/9 in the SEC. Screw his velocity, his FB is good.

3. We like guys who are weird but get swings and misses with a FB even though they throw it alot and without velocity (see Peralta, Freddy).

• Like 1

We're the Brewers, our toolsy upside picks bust one after the next (granted our Rd 1safe college pitcher bust one after the next too lol) can't be mad at taking a guy who dominated the best conference in baseball and will move quick if it clicks. If he's Mike Fiers or Zach Davies that's plenty good for me. Better than sitting there being teased by Kodi M, Jake Gatewood, Monte Harrison, Demi, and on and on down the list.

9 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

1. This was likely underslot. We'll spend our draft money, so it's a trade down.

2. Small threw 80% FB and struck out 15/9 in the SEC. Screw his velocity, his FB is good.

3. We like guys who are weird but get swings and misses with a FB even though they throw it alot and without velocity (see Peralta, Freddy).

I was just doing a knee-jerk Brewers Fan reaction 😂

Kind of like how we're supposed to boo Travis Shaw when hes up to bat because we sent Keston down. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Fl0nkerton said:

I was just doing a knee-jerk Brewers Fan reaction 😂

Kind of like how we're supposed to boo Travis Shaw when hes up to bat because we sent Keston down. 

Ahh yeah.

I'm not gonna say I love this pick or anything, obviously I'm all about toolsy high school kids, but when it's the MLB draft and you're outside of the realm of 50 FV guys everybody blends together. It's all about whether or not you can explain the rationale as to why a team made the pick. I think there's a pretty clear rationale here.

By the way this might make @beekay414 hate me, but I think the Keston decision is defensible if the rationale for sending him down was to force him to start taking pitches. His approach at the plate was terrible, and even though he's a good enough hitter it didn't impact his performance, at some point you can't be successful in the MLB swinging and missing as much as he did.

If it's a service time thing or a "let's control all of the players" thing, then yeah that's straight up bad.

Pick 133: Nick Kahle - C (MLB Rank 131)
http://m.mlb.com/prospects/2019?list=draft

Scouting grades: Hit: 50 | Power: 40 | Run: 35 | Arm: 50 | Field: 50 | Overall: 45

When Kahle first got to the University of Washington after playing his high school ball in Southern California in 2017, he got to learn under the wing of Joey Morgan, who ended up being a third-round pick of the Tigers that June. Kahle's been the starter since, and while he might not surpass his predecessor in terms of when he gets taken, he's had a tremendous junior season to raise his stock.

Kahle has been hitting with a lot of confidence all spring, giving scouts hope he'll hit for average at the next level. He's shown the ability to catch up to good fastballs with solid bat speed and recognizes breaking stuff well, which he's gotten a lot of as teams have pitched around him. He tends to show mostly gap power, but he does stay inside the ball well and shows some ability to turn on pitches for some home run power. Short and stocky, Kahle is a below-average runner and doesn't have that much agility behind the plate. He has improved his receiving and blocks well, and while his arm is fringy strength-wise, it's accurate.

Teams thinking about taking Kahle early will be buying the bat and believing it will play as a pro. If it does, he has the chance to play a long time, with a floor as a very good backup and the chance to be a solid regular if everything clicks.

BaseballAmerica Scouting Report (Ranked #131): "Scouting Report: Kahle is a short, 5-foot-10, 195-pound catcher who has shown excellent feel to hit in a career-best junior season. Through his first 50 games, Kahle was hitting .337/.511/.528 with terrific plate discipline. His 59 walks through that stretch were good enough for the sixth-best walk total in the country among Division I hitters, and his 1.18 walks per game trailed only Oregon State catcher Adley Rutschman. Scouts praise his approach and note that he rarely chases balls out of the zone. He swings with a short, direct path to the plate that generates some loft, but he has mostly doubles power right now. Kahle is known as a smart player who works well with pitchers. There are mixed reviews about his defense behind the plate. Some scouts see him as a polished receiver with good blocking ability and solid arm strength, while others think his arm is below-average and wonder how well his frame will hold up in the future."

Year    Team    POS    AVG    OBP    SLG    OPS    GP      AB      R      H    2B    3b    HR    RBI    HP    BB    SO    SB    CS
2017                             .227    .325    .330    .655     34    97      11    22     4      0       2       20      2      13    23       0    0
2018                             .293    .392    .457    .849     61    232    45    68    20    0       6       37      8       31    31      0    0
2019                             .339    .506    .532    1.038   52    171    38    58     9     0       8       50      4       59    28      0    0

Pick 163: Thomas Dillard - C (MLB Rank 114)
http://m.mlb.com/prospects/2019?list=draft

Scouting grades: Hit: 45 | Power: 55 | Run: 40 | Arm: 50 | Field: 40 | Overall: 45

Dillard led all national high school players with 16 homers as a senior in 2016 -- finishing one ahead of Kyle Muller, who signed with the Braves for $2.5 million as a pitcher. He went undrafted because he was strongly committed to Mississippi and lacked an obvious position. Three years later scouts still aren't sure where he fits best, but he's a switch-hitter who has hit for power in the Southeastern Conference and draws some "poor man's Kyle Schwarber" comparisons.

Dillard generates impressive raw pop with a combination of bat speed, strength and loft in his swing. He has improved his plate discipline and contact rate throughout his college career and has a chance to hit for average as well. Though he has below-average speed, he's aggressive on the bases and has good feel for picking spots to steal.

Dillard has played mostly left field at Mississippi, showing at least average arm strength but limited range. The hope is that he can become an adequate defender in left, but he could wind up at first base or DH. He was a catcher in high school and has seen brief action behind the plate for the Rebels, though the consensus is that he doesn't receive well enough to do so in pro ball.

Baseball America Scouting Report (Ranked #101): "Dillard has well above-average raw power, putting on impressive batting practice displays, and he’s a switch-hitter who is especially impressive when hitting lefthanded. Dillard has a compact build and a swing that is short and direct to the ball. He was Ole Miss’ best hitter as a sophomore—leading the team with 13 home runs as well as posting a team-best .439 on-base percentage and .563 slugging percentage. He’s been similarly productive as a junior, although his power largely disappeared in Southeastern Conference games. Dillard projects as an average hitter with a solid batting eye and above-average power potential. He has also been surprisingly productive on the basepaths despite fringe-average speed. He’s swiped 32 bags in 37 attempts the past two years. The question with Dillard is where he will play defensively. He’s primarily been a left fielder for Ole Miss, but this year he did catch a few midweek games for the Rebels. In left field, he’s a fringe-average defender. Scouts see him as a fill-in catcher, at best, in pro ball, with currently well-below-average defense. However, they do note that he hasn’t had much of a chance to focus on catching in college, as he’s played on the same team with Cooper Johnson—one of the best defensive catchers in college baseball."

Year    Team    POS    AVG    OBP    SLG    OPS      GP    AB      R      H     2B    3b    HR    RBI    HP    BB    SO    SB    CS
2017                             .206    .329    .348    .677     48    141    17    29     8       0      4      12       1      25     51     3      2
2018                             .310    .439    .563   1.002    65    229    67    71    15      2     13     59      5      49     50     17    3
2019                             .312    .451    .541    .992     65    231    57    72    10      2     13     60      3       58    50     14     3

Edited by Fl0nkerton